Low Resolution

I have been having all these same issues since the patch released. Along with a significant drop in frame rate, even after lowering graphics to 1. It’s made the game unplayable. I turned off all addons, deleted my twitch app, and did all the steps to resetting the WoW user interface. Nothing has helped. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this??

1 Like

Nope I checked that. I put it at 100% and its trying to run that. Also it don’t fix the squished screen issue from another post.

My major reason for wanting this ability back, is the heat on my MacBook, I don’t need wow in 4k on it. Since 8.2, it runs in 4k no matter what tricks I pull. The fans spin up and its no longer a good option for me.

1 Like

In 8.2, added the ability to have your fullscreen window size be smaller than the size of your monitor. While in fullscreen, you should be able to set a smaller resolution from the Window Size dropdown in System > Graphics.

The list of options we add to the dropdown is what we get from asking the OS what the monitor can do. I’m working on getting a hotfix build out that will allow you to key in values other than what’s in the dropdown, via config file. This will hopefully unblock people who what a render target size other than what’s presented in the dropdown menu. I’ll update here with more detailed steps once that hotfix build is released.

2 Likes

So I’ve finally had a chance to look into updating the stickied guide for patch 8.2, and it seems that going into

Applications/World of Warcraft/_retail_/

then ticking the “Open in Low Resolution” checkbox on the Get Info pane when right clicking the World of Warcraft.app executable no longer works.

This was a very important means to get around a lot of issues that users on retina displays were having. The game either runs badly or looks bad without it. Low Resolution mode was the best compromise.

Please bring it back, or add true fullscreen again.

Yep, it’s not working for me either.

It’s literally built into game now. Instead of relying on users to find an obscure checkbox, blizzard wanted a convinient menu IN GAME that lets you set resolution (seperate from renderscale which has a differentpurpose). The issue is most users haven’t figured the new menu out yet, that and it didn’t allow custom resolutions like other solutions they were using before were using, which blizzard hotfixed a patch into allow you to edit a custom cvar and set a custom resolution if you want.

TL/DR, you can still get performance back setting resolution as needed, you just have to do it a different way.

I did play around with it, and I’m telling you right now that it still doesn’t look as good as it did in low resolution mode.

There’s definitely something weird with both setting res to 2k in game and opening in low resolution mode. There’s a full screen blur effect that toggles on and off when you click on the game world. Manually changing the system res to 2k eliminates this.

We just released 8.2.0 build 31229 which removes enforcement that the fullscreen resolution has to match a monitor mode reported by the OS.

This will allow power users to manually modify the GxFullscreenResolution CVar to whatever they want. Keep in mind, if you get the aspect ratio wrong, things will be very squished/stretched. If you’re running at a lower overall resolution, you’ll probably want to make sure the render scale is set to 100%. These steps should work on Mac and Windows.

I’ll give in game steps first and the the config file steps after.

In Game:
In the chat window, key in

/console gxFullscreenResolution "2560x1440"

with whatever resolution you want and then

/console UpdateWindow

to finalize the change.

From Config File:
To turn this on, open your Config.wtf file in a text editor. The default path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\_retail_\WTF\Config.wtf
or
/Applications/World of Warcraft/_retail_/WTF/Config.wtf

Find or add GxFullscreenResolution in that file, with the resolution you want. Example:

SET GxFullscreenResolution "2560x1440"

Wow. This should alleviate most of our problems with Retina Displays. Will get to testing this now.

Thank you for all your hard work!

Edit: Though to anyone reading this, keep in mind that as Rommax says, you’ll want to maintain your screen’s aspect ratio, and most Macs use 16:10 aspect ratio displays, so using the 2560x1440 example above is not recommended as it’s a 16:9 aspect ratio resolution. I’d use 1680x1050 or 2560x1600 instead.

/console gxFullscreenResolution “1680x1050”

or

/console gxFullscreenResolution “2560x1600”

then

/console UpdateWindow

is this release or PTR? Because this doesnt work.

edit: editing the config file worked for me to set the resolution, the in game console commands did nothing.

However, this still suffers from the same full screen blur effect that is extinguished when clicking on the game world. See here: htt ps://imgur.com/a/aZqCvdn

Back to manually changing the system res each time I want to play.

The console commands did nothing, so I added the line to the config file and it works… insofar as it sets the resolution. But all of my problems remain. The screen flickering, the giant cursor, and the cursor drag all persist. I’ve set the resolution much lower than it was before this problem began with 8.2 and yet this hotfix has done nothing to address my issues.

1 Like

Tested it on my 2018 iMac 27" 5K (8 GB Radeon Pro 580) and I’m not impressed.

2560x1440 from either the drop down menu or the config hack makes it look blurry, even with the render scale on 100%. The UI elements look bloated as well.

I’m still having the best results when I set the system pref Monitors to “2560x1440 low res” (you need to hold down Option/Alt to see it). Unfortunately that disables 5K outside the game as well but I can live with that.

With that setting I get a steady 60 FPS with the slider on 8 and render scale on 100.

(Only zone that causes stuttering is Mechagon and I still have no clue why, no matter if I put the slider on 1 or 10. Oddly enough it does not happen when I use 5k resolution with render scale on 50. Very strange).

1 Like

Mechagon has unique performance issues that are going to be investigated.

Also, a tip about bloated UI, the uiscale slider is meant to fine tune ui size after going to desired resolution. But yeah that won’t fix blurry, that sounds like something blizz needs to look at still.

What I don’t get is that Blizz KNOWS what they did to cause this problem and rather than rolling it back it’s a continual “here try this and see if it works…no? well then try this…no? well try this…” rinse/repeat. Sorry but the “run in low resolution” option from Finder was EASY to do and didn’t rely on any third party utilities or add-ons to implement. Simply put it back to the way it was.

1 Like

I would be very cautious about this; sure, its convenient, but even using the open in low resolution mode option causes problems with full screen blur. There is some problem with running at a 5k retina res on the desktop and any change in resolution from the application. The game only looks “normal” to me when you manually set the system resolution to 2k, and run the game in 2k as well.

1 Like