[Lore] 12.1 Questing

Campaign

The first thing is that I like that the first chapter was able to be completed in 12.0.7. I thought that was cool being able to do that and it felt like some form of lead-in to the patch (though I wish there were more built up). I enjoyed the historical quests in particular. I thought it was clever to use the worldsoul memories again to see into the past. While overall the campaign felt short I felt like it gave a good amount of story in the time it had. Nek’zali was an interesting character and showing her personality through her abilities and quest objectives.

I think my main criticisms is that the campaign be longer cause I enjoyed doing it. The other criticism is I wish the origin of Ula’tek was discussed more. in 12.0.7 it is mentioned she is from the Rift of Aln but after that it feels completely unrelated other than to get Orweyna involved in the story. I think it would be interesting to delve more into that with the Worldsoul trilogy if Ula’tek like a manifestation of Azeroth’s malice and venom.

Side Quests

I enjoyed the side quests as much as I did the launch quests. Felt like there was a good variety of themes and npcs going around. I like that the tortollans were involved and even ghosts of crashed Zandalari ships. I was partial to the quest chain related to the priest of Gral since I feel like we didn’t get enough related to Gral in BfA. Haven’t done Tokka’s Crew yet but I assume that isn’t unlocked yet.

Lack of Build Up

The 12.1 story overall I think is good. But I think the big issue is that it feels too self-contained. I don’t doubt that 12.1 will lead into the upcoming story. The issue I find is that that there was a severe lack of buildup from the launch of Midnight to the Coiled Isle and Ula’tek in general. I think the biggest thing was in launch that no characters in-game pointed out the isle. Like no one not even Liadrin pointed at the island and went “Hey what is that place.” or given any explanation of what it is when Zul’jan is staring in its general direction at the skybridge.

In general the entire 12.1 patch feels like it came from nowhere with the snake theme and poison theme. Like players were expecting Atal’utek and snakes but that was more because of datamined things and speculation on the RPG books nothing from the in-game itself. It feels like a lot of opportunities were missed. I get that Ula’tek was supposed to be intentionally forgotten but surely people would be passing myths around about why you shouldn’t go to the island that seems cursed in the initial Zul’aman questing. Or in Harandar, if Ula-tek indeed came from the Rift of Aln then having some kind of legend about her in Harandar questing would have been a cool tie-in.

It feels like nothing from the launch of Midnight really set ups 12.1 aside from Zul’jan who is one troll. Malacrass is a Vilebranch troll but the Vilebranch don’t seem to be all that connected. I think he brings an undead minion over to help him but beyond that they don’t seem too involved. (Another odd thing is Malacrass uses the model of a Zandalari troll ghost with the rocky patches of skin instead of a forest troll). The vilebranch tribe in general seems abandoned by Malacrass.

It feels like even Undermine, a zone not even directly connected to Khaz Algar, had better build up. The War Within launch had the goblins and black blood building up to it. it felt more a natural flow and connected to the story. Similar with the Mogu in MoP had questing in Kun-Lai and the end-game quest chains of Golden Lotus/Shado-pan leading to Throne of Thunder. Then the Iron Dwarves in Wrath leading to Ulduar with side stories in Howling Fjord, Grizzly Hills, Storm peaks.

Some type of hint at Ula-tek or snakes in launch would have gone a long way. Personally I don’t think it should have been Zul’jan to unleash the threat of Ula-tek but the Twilight’s Blade doing it inadvertantly searching for old god related stuff. But yes that is my long-winded way of saying that I wish Coiled Isle had more build up in the story.

With the 12.1 campaign complete it does seem like it connections to the next story. In general with the expansion initially being advertised as the big battle of light versus void. Then one of the three seasons of the expansion is focused on snakes and venom.

It is just that I feel like Midnight launch could have done a better job building up to the Coiled Isle. There should have been some amani myth in the initial 12.0 questing that they don’t like snakes or view them negatively. Or some Harandar legend of an ancient serpent creature once roamed the realm.