Lord. Survival is just obnoxiously good, lol

you gotta understand…I have NO interest in appealing to or impressing you. The spec is fine as it is. Needs some tweaking and for people to stop trying to pretend its the spec and not their own poor game play.

and no…Im NOT new to hunter. It was one of the first classes I played.
Im new to Survival…and loving every second of it and its clear capabilities.

oh of course, such an incredibly fascinating mind…I wouldn’t dream of it

1 Like

And god knows that in REALITY entire cultures used SPEARS for hunting. I guess we’re oblivious to that historical fact as well.
It DOES fit the hunter theme, just like some fish with poles and some fish with big nets.

I fired up my BFA hunter…swapped to SV and set up talents.
Im not feeling too huge a different between lower level and when I have all my talents, quite honestly.
Played pretty much exactly what I was expecting.
Not sure what all the complaining about SV is by some.
What? Its not top DPS ?
Only one spec usually has that title at any given point.
Not that big a deal

The argument provided from the devs as to why they decided to remove RSV, was that it was too similar to MM.

How “it was MM but with different arrows, or traps”.

It’s both incredibly sad and ironic how it’s okay for 2 versions of pet-centric specs to both share several core abilities/features.

But in the past, 1 ranged spec was removed because it was just that. A ranged spec.

It wasn’t even removed because it shared abilities with that other ranged spec(MM). It was literally removed because apparently, 2 ranged specs that focused on the weapon itself(but in different ways), were too much.

But 2 pet-specs with the same pet-related abilities isn’t wrong?

This line here, is the best one you’ve written so far, IMO ofc.

You know why we’re still here talking about how we want RSV to return? No matter how anyone of us are advocating for it to do so.

Because that spec, and that playstyle, was our fun. It was just as fun for us, as MSV is to you now.

Stop being dismissive.

“Boring” is subjective. “Fun” is subjective as well.

See the above response about “fun”.

4 Likes

probably was. Ive said a few times…why have three ranged specs?
They can make the two ranged specs better, and leave a melee spec for those of us who like it. Variety is a good thing.

ive already made my point on that 5 times or so…Im not rehashing it again.
yes…its fine if they all have pets to utilize. All three specs feel VERY different from each other right now…that also is a GOOD thing

and on that point I do really seriously sympathize with you all. I really, honestly do.
I LOVED soloing out in the world with Afflock before they removed Life Tap. That last split second decision to tap and die…or not tap and die…it made the spec really feel alive.
Now its just a cheap mage wannabe crap spec that I wont touch. Demlock is the last fun warlock spec for me.
That said…I never played SV before so I havent had any sense of loss over it.
To ME here and now I LOVE it far more than either ranged spec.
if they could give you all a fourth spec replacing the old SV while keeping mine as it is for the most part, Id love it.

You’re doing level 60 dungeons. If you’ve played WoW as much as you say you do, you should know that balance at level 60 is absolutely not comparable to balance at level 120.

If at 120 you tried to tank mobs or tried to not use Wildfire Bomb or Serpent Sting, your results would be very, very different.

3 Likes

that argument, no offense, is just stupid excuses.
So the game isnt the SAME but stop pretending that SV is some god in lowbie runs…it AINT.
Thanks

on that point, friend…I HAVE a 120 hunter and DID just swap over to SV a couple hours ago just like I told someone else I would.
Yeah…didnt have a problem in BFA pulling 6-8 world trash and clearing them out using the exact same Bomb.Sting castsequence macro as my lowbies have.
and my ilvl is literally in the mid 200s, lol
Butchery, Kill command, Raptor Strike clears the field quite easily.
Try again?

My guess is, as Ive stated a few times, that some of you are trying to force SV to be a ranged spec when it clearly isnt.
Serpent Sting sucks, quite honestly…even when it hits more than one target. More time casting and waiting than just mowing down the field with Butchery.

What? Savage Strikes, Deterrence, Counter Attack? Those are all melee abilities in the survival talent tree. The only ranged talent is Wyvern Sting mate.

I loved ranged survival too, but if Melle doesn’t fit the theme, they sure botched it at inception.

1 Like

Can I ask a serious question from some of you who are complaining about Survival and our liking it?
What is it you want from me/us? To say we hate SV to make you feel better about you not liking it?
To lie and tell that its not a blast to play because youre not having fun playing it?
To make up some BS about how it sucks doing DPS?
Please tell us what it is youre demanding that we tell you to make you feel better about OUR liking the spec and doing well with it.

I could make a list of specs I dont like now…starting with Affliction Warlock.
IF I didnt like Survival, Id say so. I said I dont like BM much because its just too easy to play.
I think I could muster up the will to SAY if survival was failing in some way when Im playing it.
How about this.
YOU dont have to like Survival. Just like I dont like Rogue.
But you DO have to deal with the fact that WE like it and are doing well with it…end of discussion.

So truce? or are WE not ALLOWED to make a thread saying that WE like something just because you dont?

I literally just fired up Classic WoW…created a Survival Hunter Orc…and my FIRST attack is Raptor strike. lol

Raptor Strike
15 mana
next melee 6 second cooldown
a strong attack that increases melee damage by 5.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x_Jd8lYeUrpwqGX2R6laDnC5nJJVS035/view
yeah…survival wasnt a melee spec way back when?
Sure as hades SOUNDS like it was, lol

It wasn’t melee it was a hybrid. But for Bepples to say that melee wasn’t a theme at all is wrong.

2 Likes

“hybrid” is a good word to describe it.
Theyve all just had me duped into believing it was a ranged only spec BEFORE recently.
Clearly it wasnt if the very first spell I got was about melee, lol
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x_Jd8lYeUrpwqGX2R6laDnC5nJJVS035

Not really doing either but, I’ll bite…

No to all of the above.

If you can’t muster up some compassion or at the very least, be capable to see things from other perspectives then, there’s no point in us asking anything from you.

Think they removed the option for hunters to carry both ranged + melee weapons going into MoP, but my memory might be off on this.

Prior to this, hunters could carry melee weapons, and yes, we had some abilities that relied on such. But since the time where they removed both the dead zone as well as the min attack range from ranged weapons, there was no longer any point in hunters using said melee weapon(s) for anything other than the passive stats.

If you go back to the earliest expansions, melee weapons saw more use, sure.
But even then, they weren’t a core feature of the class. They were an addition intended for situational use for the sole reason of ranged weapon restrictions(min attack range etc).

But like I’ve said before, in the modern game, could there be an option for a dedicated core spec to focus on the use of a melee weapon, as a hunter? YES.

Should it come in the form of a replacement for the actual core features of ranged combat variations? NO.

Let’s just leave it at that really…

4 Likes

aaaannnndd by the same token, if you cant say something positive in a positive thread about a spec or class, maybe you should exert some self control and just not post in that thread?

ok…so they took Survival back to its roots.
I dont see any problem with it.
I feel for the loss, but that doesnt mean the spec sucks.
Many of us are playing it and liking it.
I had to deal with life tap being removed. hunters will have to deal with blizzard apparently taking survival back to what it apparently used to be in classic…or a cheap facsimile thereof.

They didn’t.

Many like to think this was the case. But it wasn’t.

Survival in it’s “roots”, wasn’t even an actual core specialization.

It was a talent category focused on survivability through utility and defensives.
(which included certain melee aspects as well, yes).

5 Likes

I can agree with that. It’s also easy to see how it would be changed into a melee focused spec as well. As is the case with it’s current iteration.

1 Like

what are you talking about?
the one tab said SURVIVAL on it…the other said General and the third said marksman
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i6TTt9qTBxUGxC9iG8Rnm2RQ3sq5Di1M

I am LOOKING at classic hunter right now

three tabs in my spell book
*General (which includes 6 various spells, including racials)
*Marksmanship (which shows 1 spell, Auto Shot)
*Survival (shows Raptor Strike)
All three have extra boxes for more spells.

Looks to me as if Survival was its own thing in some way or another, like marksmanship appears to be.

Check your talents on classic.

default letter/key “N”.

Do you see any core specializations in Classic?

Or do you see 3 different talent categories?

One named Beast Mastery
One: Marksmanship
And one: Survival

Those are the talent categories I’m talking about.

IF you compare this to the game today, we not only still have such categories(albeit a lot different from back then in their layout and what’s in them).
But we also have dedicated Core Specializations. Something we got for all classes, going into Cataclysm.

2 Likes

Survival in Classic is about, well, Survival. The tree enhances your defensive capabilities, improving your traps, Feign Death, and your melee capabilities.

Why melee? Well, if an enemy gets up close to you, you can’t attack with your ranged weapon or abilities, since there’s a minimum range to them. If there weren’t any melee abilities, you literally wouldn’t be able to do anything once an enemy approached you. So the melee abilities in Classic (Wing Clip, Raptor Strike, Mongoose Bite, Deterrance, Counterattack) exist to allow you to survive and get away.

Specs in Classic aren’t like current specs. Subtlety Rogue, for example, only has stuff like Stealth and Pickpocket- since damaging spells like Backstab fall under “Combat”. It’s the same for Survival. Later on, mainly in WotLK, they started trying to make all specs viable for endgame content, so they decided that Survival needed a real identity of it’s own. So they added Explosive Shot, Black Arrow and (I think?) Lock n Load, and made the spec based around those spells.

5 Likes

It really depends on what’s going on in that situation. You may just want to stay and whack them depending on the cool down situation. Current health etc.

The whole take away from the classic hunter is, you had all your class features spec wide. The specs just enhanced one side of the hunter. The pet, the ranged weapon, or the melee aspect.

You still used parts of all three in a given encounter.

1 Like

That makes me wonder, what are they going to do with Shadowlands’ class over spec thing? More class-wide abilities that fit specs other than your own and all that, stuff like Fire Blast on a Frost Mage and Shield Block on an Arms Warrior.

Are MM and BM Hunters gonna get some of their melee toolkit back? I don’t think it’d be useful for anything, since they removed the limitations on the ranged spells (long CD on Concussive Shot vs no CD on Wing Clip, minimum range, etc.). I really wonder how they’re gonna pull that off.

2 Likes