Looking for a good pc build to play SL on high settings

So I’m looking at getting a new pc here within the next 2 months or so and I really want to know what kind of pc would be able to play WoW on ultra settings with little to no issues. I only play WoW and Overwatch so I’m not concerned with any other major games. I’m just really tired of my old cyberpower pc struggling to get the smallest things accomplished. WoW says my recommended settings is 2, used to be 4 just so ya know.
According to my device manager, I have an AMD Radeon R7 200 series and an AMD FX™ 6300 six core processor. I’ve been told these are really old and I’m starting to see how true that is. If there’s anyone on here that would be able to give some advice on what I should look into, that would be great. I’m not looking for a pre-build or anything flashy. I prefer to learn by putting it together, the problem is that I don’t really know what parts would be good for WoW on high settings. I plan on replacing my whole pc, not specific parts. Got any advice?

What is your budget and what country? (USD/CAD/Etc…)
Are you near a Microcenter?
Urgency of this build? Newer items are around the corner but availability might be a problem.

USA, and lets just throw a number out. Lets say 1,000. That should be plenty for the kind of pc I’m looking for, at least… I hope. xD
No, I’m not near a Microcenter
Urgency, not really… id like to have it around the time SL comes out or a little after. Lets say between now and Christmas.

yay, maintenance day for WoW so I can’t post on my main toon

The good news for you Delph is you have lots of options in your budget and from a CPU standpoint you can’t go wrong with any CPU from Intel’s Comet Lake 10th series or AMD’s Zen 2 processors as long as you have at least 4 cores and 8 threads which is virtually all of them. I would no go past their six core processors as you would see diminishing returns for your particular gaming use.

As for video cards, I’m assuming you are gaming at 1080p & 60fps based on your old specs. The Nvidia 1660 super will easily max out WoW at that resolution. If you plan on purchasing a higher resolution monitor and/or frequency monitor look for a more powerful GPU.
AMD & Nvidia are releasing new top end PC parts in the coming weeks but supply and demand will probably place them out of your budget until after xmas.
You can also check out logical increments WoW build guide (slightly dated but still good), Toms hardware CPU & GPU hierarchy lists, and techpowerup reviews at 720p settings (to remove all bottlenecks) to see how parts compare with each other.

-Lilybugg

1 Like

Ive done some research and from what ive seen, people tend to go for AMD, they say they are one of the leading brands atm. I do have 1080p but im currently getting 28-45fps when running WoW. Ill look into Nvidia 1660 although ill probably be doing research for a while. I’ve been watching some of JayzTwoCents youtube videos and looking at pcpartpicker and newegg for some insight but thats about all ive done so far. I got time. btw, i have a 4k flat screen that i use

AMD is one of three brands that make dedicated CPUs and GPUs for desktops and only one of two for CPUs or GPUs so not much competition there. Typically your best bets for blizzard games are Intel/Nvidia builds but AMD is more then capable and supply, demand, and prices always fluctuate.

JayzTwoCents is entertaining but realize he also needs to be controversial in order to get views. For deeper insight you are probably better off with written tech reviews. Hardware Numb3rs is about the only youtuber I know who is dedicated to testing WoW and I can’t recall if he has done anything with patch 8.2 which opened up multicore performance in WoW (ever so slightly). I would hold off and wait for new GPU releases and prices as you are gaming at 4k.

1 Like

Makes sense to wait for the newer and better stuff… A friend of mine mentioned to me that its probably best to wait for better deals until Cyber Monday anyway. I just hope that the stuff they do plan on releasing is out by then

If stock is fine on release day for the RTX 3070 like Nvidia is hoping then you can build a ryzen 3600 with it for a lil over 1k.

Of course black Friday is coming and you can prob pick up a nice PC with a 2070 for that price as well.

I dont have a problem with waiting to get better products, especially if they are better than whats currently available.
I just dont wanna wait so long to where my current pc cant handle itself anymore and finally croaks

https://wccftech.com/report-nvidia-only-meeting-7-4/amp/

Don’t get too excited about those 3070s

2 Likes

I have a 7 year old i5 processor. IT says it’s borderline spec. I had a basic Video card, had to use low settings at 1920 to just make WoW playable… so I upgraded JUST the GPU to a 5600 XT. Works great. No need to change the CPU, don’t care what people say about WoW it’s NOT CPU bound at all… I am around 30 to 40% usage 4 c / 4t 3.0Ghz CPU… don’t turn any background processes off… or make any special settings for WoW. Only thing I did was upgrade GPU Video card it’s its like a brand new machine. I am looking at upgrading my rig because other games like MS Flight Simulator are not working with this CPU, but WoW is fine.

I have ULTRA everything freesync (with monitor) and I am getting 75 FPS no problem.

That’s more then enough. And the computer you build won’t be obsolete for a long time, so no worries.

My advice is to go to PcPartPicker, and look at their general build guides. Those will help steer you in the right direction.

But if you’re looking to build your own, take a day or two to actually learn what all the lingo means.

I could tell you that this part is good because it’s an NVME 3.8 dual channel SLI quarterly report hyper threaded Bus with wi-fi ultra 8 core 3770KX100070K air cooled BFG Quattro 9nm 15nm raytracing with water mind you RGB psi manual transmission.

The best laid plans of mice and men…and PC builders often go awry.

with a 5600XT card at 1080p max settings you should be getting 100-125FPS easily, so 75FPS makes your system CPU bound…maybe your your Intel Turbo Boost technology isn’t working properly on your i5-3330/4430. /s

2 Likes

Given there’s a pretty big difference between the game on my 1600 (3.9ghz OC) and my 8700k (5ghz) I’m willing to bet there’s an even bigger hit on an old Ivybridge.

Heck I got a notable upgrade going from a 4790K to a 2600X. I still have other Haswells chips at my other house and I got PTSD after running the machine for an hour.

1 Like

There is a BIG difference between my old laptops, 4810MQ or 4910MQ and my NEW laptops 8700k (yes i have an 8700K in a laptop) And my desktops R9 3900x

2 Likes

At the end of Legion, I upgraded from an i5-4570 to my 8700k. Even with the same GPU (at the time it was a 1060 3gb) I saw massive improvement.

3.4ghz (all core) haswell to 5ghz skylake is pretty significant. 47% increase in CPU frequency + cache and IPC improvements + DDR4

1 Like

I run a similar spec. You are bottlenecked dude. Check your task manager while running WoW. I run a similar CPU (i5-2500K) and an even less powerful video card than yours (GTX 1070) and I am still not even fully utilizing GPU because of my old CPU, I am bottlenecked to hell. My CPU is always maxed at 100%. I’m not sure of your specs but you should check this after you input your specs: “Bottleneck Calculator” on pcbuilds website. (sorry can’t post links)
Also, this CPU has trouble running on higher resolutions and freq than 1080p/60 Hz. I’m going to try and upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 series soon