Looking Back, Blood Elves Are Hilarious

One of the first races I played as a kid were the Blood Elves. I always thought they were fascinating.

Coming back to the game, I’m just now realizing how strange and funny the narrative journey has been for our favorite sun-baked boys.

Originally, between WC3 and Vanilla, Blizzard set out to make a completely fresh take on High Elves, similar to what they did when they took the concept of Wood Elves and turned them into Night Elves.

Here’s a clip from an old Blizzcon panel where Metzan talks about his plan for the Blood Elves: https://youtu.be/O3uzFQ_n88k?t=416
(Note: the video also ties into the old lore on magic, which has been more or less completely retconned by modern Blizz)

The plan was simple: take boring, generic High Elves and turn them into reckless sorcerers who seek power at any cost. Sure, it’s a bit edgy, but that’s what WoW’s lore was known for at the time: taking traditional fantasy tropes and giving them an edgy twist.

I started playing WoW in TBC, and Metzan’s vision was the first impression I got about Blood Elves. They weren’t evil per-se, but they were pragmatic, jingoistic, and basically embodied the idea of “ends justifying the means”.

But they also had a relentless loyalty and dedication to each other that made them fit into the Horde, despite their…differences.

Along with that, the Sunwell was purified by the end of TBC. As a kid, I remember wondering where that story thread would lead us! How would this holy energy affect a culture that spent years recklessly using dark magic?

It was this duality that fascinated me about Blood Elves. I always wanted to see how the divide between Fel and Holy would affect them. I couldn’t wait to see a divide between the Light worshippers and those who still seek limitless magic. Surely there are still Blood Knights who have no interest in serving the Holy Light, and would rather take it by force, right? Surely there are still priests using shadow-magic to manipulate the masses, right? I couldn’t wait to see where Blizzard would take the Blood Elves from here!

…And, nothing happened. In reality, the dark side of Blood Elves would be entirely forgotten. Blood Elves in-game are almost always hunters or paladins, MAYBE a mage if we’re lucky. Warlocks are virtually unheard of unless they’re players. Demon Hunters still fit in with the “old” Blood Elf theme, but they don’t seem at all interested in their own people.

The final group of “edgy” Blood Elves were ironically exiled to the Alliance, who, originally denounced the Blood Elves for using dangerous magic (is that still canon?).

So their identity and narrative role has entirely shifted. A lot of people wonder why Blizzard hasn’t updated Silvermoon. Well, aside from the obvious reasons (not wanting to spend money on old content), you have to wonder what Silvermoon’s identity even is anymore.

Blood Elves are no longer scheming, secretive and authoritarian. They have no skeletons in their closet. No leper-gnome sweatshops in their basements. The depiction of Silvermoon we see in-game only lasted for a few years. I think even the Fel Crystals are gone according to lore. If Blizzard were to ever update Quel’thalas, it would expose the Blood Elves for what they’ve truly become:

Regular High Elves.

So yeah, hate em or love em, I find it very amusing that Blizzard’s “answer” to High Elves…just went back to being High Elves XD

25 Likes

What. The Elves left the Alliance because Garithos was a raging racist and was using an already-depleted population as cannon fodder for simple cruelty. Then Kael took a deal out of desperation and then boom, Fel everywhere.

8 Likes

Well the Forsaken protect the living now.

5 Likes

Nothing I said contradicts that?

Both are true. Like metzan said in the video, the Alliance was distancing themselves from the Blood Elves in Quel’thalas between Vanilla and TBC because they could smell the fel magic on them.

Long story short, Garithos was the beginning, then the Alliance got suspicious of the remaining Belves in Quel’thalas because they were meddling with demonic magic. Thats why the dwarf and night elf spies are in TBC Eversong.

Fast forward a decade or so, and the Alliance is welcoming Blood Elves infused with the void.

I find this humorous.

9 Likes

If only you had joined the Bliz lore team. What a major loss for all of us. :sleepy:

9 Likes

I will always maintain the position that the “purifying” of the blood elves was such a misstep.

It’s a shame that blood elves are now the most bland race in the game, however I will admit they do have spikes of interesting moments.

13 Likes

The problem is that evil remnants can’t really be allowed to linger with the Horde’s direction. Those ‘evil’ or ‘fanatical’ Blood Knights? They joined up with Kael and died alongside him to allow the BE to get their heads straight. Just like how Sylvanas loyalists got ruined once the Lich Queen showed her true colors (and before that unearned redemption arc).

The Horde isn’t evil.

1 Like

I absolutely agree with your conclusion. It’s a shame, because frankly they have never been as interesting a race as they were in TBC. That original concept as you accurately described it was just really damn cool. That they appeared outwardly as the stereotypical beautiful fantasy elves while committing terrible, vile acts was such an appealing contradiction. I absolutely loved leveling my original blood knight. The difference in quests and abilities to my human paladin really drove home the idea behind their order. RIP Seal of Blood.

It really did all end with the reignition of the sunwell. I guess the point was to really drive home that this way of being was not really who they are. That it was all just out of desperation in dealing with their magic addiction. Which sure, true for most of them. But let’s not pretend that realistically, some of them would have just been enjoying it. This pursuit of power and freedom to disregard their better nature.

I really don’t think it was worth it. Narratively what did it give us aside from a return to the old status quo? They could have just as easily said Kil’Jaeden’s attempt to come through the sunwell corrupted/destroyed it entirely, and this new way of life for the blood elves was now permanent. I don’t think anything else in the story over the years would had to have changed.

4 Likes

No story in lore but they can be shadow priests.

There are quests in the starter area about the Farstridrrs having issue with sucking from creatures, fel stuff and Helves also had an issue with it.

Belves have an issue with Velves using the void.

They always were. They just renamed themselves.

Blizz doesn’t do nuance well or often enough.

1 Like

I really really really wish more people actually realised this, rather than the fanatic few that screamed bloody murder for “I want playable high elves”.

One of the main aspects that made them fit so much better for the Horde was the immense tragedy and plight they succumbed to. It was much more aligned to Horde ideals and actions than the Alliance of “there there, stay true and it’ll be alright”. That and frankly high elf majority were never that big on humans anyway.

That term frightens me. In WC2 I wasn’t really interested in high elves, or even WC3 for that matter. They were boring and just the same elf trope….until the transformation. It was amazing, they took in a whole new flavour and theme. The magic addiction was everything.

I’ll end by saying I think the biggest issue is too many different writers with different visions and frankly all racial storylines have gotten bad and bloated as time went on. I accepted that :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

I always said that I wish they never had the Sunwell “restored” and kept playing to the plight.

I know some lore enthusiasts protest and say “They were suffering!” - yes….good, it was the entire basis of their new radical mindsets and added a theme and flavour to them. Suffering gives story context and background, it doesn’t always have to be peace loving :v:.

I would have liked to see them come up with more types of remedies and ideas for how to help their people overcome the sense of emptiness. Mana stations? Mana infused jewels? Heck some even still sucking dry those mana wyrms? Why not.

2 Likes

Both cases were made up to try and fix faction problems. The both failed miserably and now it is time to remove the factions.

2 Likes

All lore is made up.

2 Likes

No kidding, but this lore was made up specifically to fix faction problems.

For me Blood Elves were always the continuation of the high elf story, I think characters like Lanesh having had blue eyes since MOP opens the narrative to even hearing about some of the neutral high elves maybe from Outland returning to the fold.

But I always played Blood Elves as the successor of the high elf narrative so their redemption story is appreciated by me anyways.

I think with some things like take blood knights for example, we as players have the agency to think of our characters as maybe more of the older style of blood knight or newer vibes.

4 Likes

Yeah and it doesn’t really make it lesser than others, since I’m sure they added the waggle to the Alliance to help keep them interested.

2 Likes

Yeah, it feel lesser to me. Heck blood elves have never fit into the horde.

4 Likes

Gonna watch this video and bet atleast 70% of it aged extremely poorly :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

Well maybe it’s because you love the waggle more.

:dracthyr_nervous_animated:

I don’t see why not. We don’t take up much space. And hate the Alliance just as much.

2 Likes

Who doesn’t love waggle? :slight_smile:

3 Likes