Lone Wolf Question

I just leveled up to 120 this last week. I’m playing MM. I’ve noticed recently that whenever I queue for a dungeon everybody (including myself) dismisses their pet.

It seems strange to me that we would do solo content with our pet, and then dismiss the pet when we do dungeons.

Does anybody actually play MM as Lone Wolf outside of Dungeons (I haven’t seen a single hunter in the open world play without a pet). If not, why would you want that talent in dungeons.

I will say that I’m happy Lone Wolf is baseline. Having the option to play MM with my Pet without respeccing is important to me.

1 Like

When you’re playing solo your pet can take hits for you, and you can heal your pet with Mend Pet. So having a pet is massively better. Surival is important when you’re solo.

When you’re in a group you have a proper tank and a healer, so your pet won’t do anything to improve your survival. Dismissing your pet will net you more dps due to Lone Wolf. Especially since MM pets don’t cleave.

2 Likes

But it will. Master’s Call is a thing, though not likely used in a raid or dungeon (but not absurd either)? You can also pull off a taunt if the tank dies (I keybind and manually use taunt even when playing solo)? For instance, this morning our tank lost aggro and the healer was getting wrecked so I summoned my pet and taunted. It’s also useful for pulling mobs way from the group. Taunt, and move to. There are a number of reasons a pet can be useful in a dungeon (more than these).

It seems like people only want to play a ranger in dungeons? That’s what I’m questioning. If you want to play a Ranger, why do you use a pet - ever?

Note: I’m still bitter they tried to force one of the specs into a Ranger category. Now, if I want to play a ranged hunter with a pet, I have one choice (BM - not much of a choice for me). We used to have three choices. I’ve said it a number of times in the past: Many of the current hunter problems were caused by devs trying to fit 6 playstyles into 3 specs.

Not always tho,in some high movement/mechanic encounters it is better to have pet out.

Also, if your dungeon group doesn’t have a Mage or a Shaman, then your pet can provide Bloodlust (Ferocity spec). So even MM Hunters can get an use out of pets in instances.

I always run with mine out, and I’ve yet to receive a complaint about it. :woman_shrugging:t3:

I run MM in PVP, usually without a pet. Only time I use the pet in PVP is if I need the pets slow or enrage/magic purge. Other than that I PVP petless for the extra damage. When I do solo content it depends what I’m doing if I use the pet. Cramped zones with lots of mobs like Nazjar I use the pet, or to tank an elite or rare. Often solo petless as well though when grinding regular mobs during WQ.

If I ran MM in dungeons I’d really only use the pet if we needed lust or the magic debuff. Even if running MM in dungeons petless, only takes the blink of an eye to summon your pet if you need it in an emergency. Some fights however with lots of movement then pet can help a bit preventing your damage from plummeting not being able to get aimed shots off.

1 Like

To answer the op normally about half way through normal I do enough dmg to kill things before it’s a problem soloing.

I do for craps and giggles…not for any good reason.
I know you get the bonus without a pet to DPS, but it still seems to do more damage with the pet than without.
if you mean tanks are telling you to dismiss your pet…tell them where to shove that.
Your class is hunter. You use a pet. They can lump it.

1 Like

yeah…I was running without a pet in 5 man runs unless the healer started struggling a lot. Then Id call up the pet and taunt to get the heat off the tank so the healer could get things back under control.
Never seen tanks actually thanking a hunter so much for his pet taunting, lol.
i guess not all tanks are arrogant dillrods after all lol

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder if they made MM “petless” so that Hunters would stop taunting. Here’s hoping they don’t put Lone Wolf back in the talent tree in SL.

Best answer ever!

I might actually start running with a pet and checking on my total damage. I was just assuming I would generate less damage with a pet, but that might not actually be the case (at least in single target - not sure how multi-shot affects MM hunter pets).

1 Like

was it a talent before? Ive not yet been playing 3 years, so a lot of things I never got to experience.
I have tried a bit of classic to get a feel for it. Didnt really get too far with my hunter there, though.
I do like the option for petless for those cases where that arrogant tanky who is obviously unskilled wants to blame anything but himself for a bad pull.

With LW also consider how many buffs your character may have at any given time. You could be buffed from another class, trait, essence, corruption, potions, to name a few. That %10 extra damage from LW is great on it’s own, but can really add up when different buffs overlap. That’s a lot of damage to miss out on if you have your pet out.

It also depends on your level and ilvl. If you’re having a hard time killing things before you get decently geared then having your pet out to tank might be worthwhile. Once you’re geared you really shouldn’t need the pet much aside from utility.

Yes. for a while it was a talent. If you wanted to have your pet out or go petless, you would need to respec.

Why did you quit 3 years ago? That’s when I quit too. Came back for classic and did a Druid and Lock there. I never much cared for Classic Hunters because of the dead zone and of the way they handled traps.

Started playing with my retail hunter a couple weeks ago again. Enjoy it, but still miss Survival a lot. MM has improved quite a bit since I quit, but it still leave a Survival Sized hole in my heart.

That said, it is nice to log in and see all my character specific items (eg. Arcanite Fishing Rod) again as well as my account bound mounts (nothing quite feels like hopping on a Swift Spectral Tiger knowing their value nowadays). I miss not having those in Classic given the number of years I invested in getting them.

And this is sad. Hunters should have pets. For years, I wouldn’t roll a hunter because they had pets (didn’t want to feed them). Now I don’t want to play without them.

LW didn’t pay off till I got over 450ish (maybe a little before) although it was a wash before that for a bit and prior to that it is a loss of damage.

(then again that was before the 5 percent buff to YOU, so it may pay off sooner now)

no, just started in August of 2017.
I had avoided the game like the plague for allthose years after I read early reviews. Im a gamer from way back when and I know if Im going to dislike a game anymore just by the details.
I dont like Vanilla now, Im sure Id have hated it in 04. but because of the travel time…not the game itself.
My brother in law told me and the wife in 2016 that current wow wasnt the same as vanilla. He kept hounding us till the next summer, so we gave it a try and loved it.

I do like classic as a whole. what i dont like is the travel time. OMG…7 minutes of running to do a 4 minute quest, then 7 more minutes of running to go turn it in.
No thanks, lol.
If it werent for the travel time, I think Id actually play classic quite a bit. Absolutely LoVED having the grey armor drops actually mean something. And the wands actually working and being useful. Loved it.