Logs, what are they and how do I use them?

So I’ve been easing into mythic plus over the course of DF after not playing that game mode since Legion. I took a break season 3 and 4 so I am clearly falling off the bandwagon a bit, but Season 1 and 2 I played Dev. Evoker and got the mount solely through pugs. Nothing impressive but that was my goal and I just stopped mythic+ after collecting them. I am considering :dracthyr_a1: drood heals for TWW and am curious - how beneficial are logs?

I did some research and started the process of setting it up, but does anyone have like… a quick summary rundown of what I should do, or are they even necessary at all? Setting it up seems complex and I don’t even really have a grasp of what to look for with logs. Should I even invest the time to configure logs?

I want to be better and have done some extra research to ensure I have my cd’s, rotation, and talents set up for success and I definitely see personal improvement but I am sure there is still more that I can do. Thoughts?

Oh and thank you for reading. I browse the forums a lot but rarely post. Everyone was so helpful last time about another question, so I appreciate the positive feedback and hope that this sparks a good conversation. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

1 Like

For m+ dungeons not very, it’s a little too chaotic an environment for comparative analysis to be of any use, and rankings for m+ are completely unnecessary. It’s more of a raid thing in those cases because fights are at least comparable.

The biggest benefit logging m+ has, at least before you build a level of understanding / enter content difficult enough to make comparisons more realistic, is having a fixed record of exactly what you did in a key and when so someone more knowledgeable than you can look at it and help you to isolate where made mistakes and how to improve upon them.

Setting logs up should be as simple as using the WCL client and uploading the file, it should separate things out into fights / dungeons itself.

There are several different add ons to manage the logging feature in game, turning it on / off automatically when you enter certain instances etc. I believe WCL has one but I can’t recall exactly, the old one people used was loggerhead.

1 Like

Most people can’t read logs to the point there isn’t much reason to learn. The average wow player just looks at parses not understanding why the 85 is worse then the 80. Not understanding that having 3 power infusions and rotating season buff is a thing.

1 Like
1 Like

Logs are basically evenly cut wood, their use case scenario varies from woodwork , construction, support and heating

2 Likes

They are pieces of wood that are cut to 16 to 18 inches long that you can burn in a fire place or wood stove. Actually it’s a metal stove that burns wood but it’s called a wood stove.

1 Like

Soak logs in wood.

1 Like

You see, when an extremely boring person falls in love with a calculator very much…

1 Like

Careful, I might pull out my TI 84 plus haha!

1 Like

Nah you can rely on other people to log for you for the most part.

Yeah there’s a lot of useful stuff you can find looking at logs but it’s mostly just for bragging rights and a quick glance to see if you did better than last time.

1 Like

Depends if you’re pugging, raiding, playing the same healers, random healers etc.

As a healer its probably worth doing log analysis if you’re looking at progressing and you have the same healers showing up. Generally healing is one of the more micro strategic positions in a raid for progression. You should be organizing who heals what and when etc. As a druid, depending on the state of the game and with how hero trees are shaping up, playing wildstalker heart of the wild may put you in a position where every minute you’re cycling into full damage so that before and during that time is when you need to understand where damage is going to go, what healers you need to assist (through log analysis you can see for example if somebody is unnecessarily using cooldowns). If you have 4 healers and 1 spikes up their hps by 40% but the other 3s overhealing spikes up 15% then thats a sign number 1 is panicking or the other 3 need to lay off and dip into more damage.

Generally though as a healer if you’re playing with a set core there should be one healer whos already established this strategy and are skilled at log analysis, so if you’re joining a guild just seek out direct conversations with them and you can probably spend a couple hours one weekend doing log analysis with them.

For m+ I wouldn’t do log analysis unless you’re playing with the same tank. If you’re playing with the same dps, its because they are good at avoiding unnecessary damage, if you’re pugging by all means try and look at logs for reinforcing why things weren’t your own fault, but generally you should be able to intuitively sense when the sky is falling and its not your fault, without even looking at a log.

Healers stop being babysitters once you climb in content difficulty, you really don’t want to stress over “what you could have done better” until you know for certain the most blatant answer is not “get more reliable teammates”. If it feels like you’re babysitting a key, throw away the log, don’t nitpick over your ability to babysit mistakes.

1 Like

It really depends how you WANT to use the logs… I use them a lot to evaluate Aug Evokers for M+. Often times that is a class/spec that gets to coast on the excuse that their contribution comes in the form of everyone else’s increased performance.

Except, the logs evaluate them against others of their kind, and while they might have a 3k rating in m+, MANY of the Augs I have apping to my groups have parses in the 10%-40% range.

Logs help you avoid people like that, and as a result, you can end up seeing a performance increase.

1 Like