Logitech G13 replacement advice

So Logitech apparently doesn’t sell the G13 anymore and mine is wearing out.

I have hand problems and the g13 in combo with a good mouse really made total control with little fatigue game play experience possible. Using a keyboard and mouse not so much.

Anyone have a replacement recommendation?
Yeah, I heard rumors about that last year and bought a backup.

Sadly, that was just in time for my one of the keys on my four-year-old G13 to fail, so I had to put it in use, or I'd send it to you at cost.

It appears that the "Advanced" version is still for sale in some places.

Or you can go with the Orbweaver (my personal choice for a replacement).

Or you can wait it out and see if Logitech is going to announce (finally) the mechanical-keyed version we've all been waiting for for a decade.
If you can't wait, this is probably the best you're going to find out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Orbweaver-Chroma-Mechanical-Adjustable/dp/B013P0HW7K
Oh, and when you say "wearing out" - what do you mean?

I've routinely taken the keys out of mine, cleaned everything, and put it back together successfully.

It's a little ugly - membrane keyboards are not the simplest to maintain - but it can be done.

If you've NEVER cleaned it out, that may be all that's needed.

Get a good quality key puller and lift them out carefully.

Dump the keys in a weak solution of dish soap and warm (not hot) water and slosh that around a bit.

Then take a Q-tip and some soft copper wire (my favorite tools for this) and gently dig and scrape and prod and otherwise coax out all of the accumulated gunk everywhere you can find it.

Use a can of air to blow out what you can't reach.

I usually finish off with a good spray of CRC's QD Electronic Cleaner (please, g-d, you unplug it first) and then another pass with the Q-tip.

Let it dry, carefully reinsert the keys until they click in place.

I've never tried to pull the joystick, but you can rotate it around and clean the exposed bits pretty well.
The Razer Orbweaver is a similar device. I've not used one myself, but I have used it's design predecessor, the Nostromo N52, and shape/layout wise I thought it was a good device (though I eventually went to the G13 for more buttons.)

If you've got an electronics/computer store near by that stocks a variety of these devices (there are several choices nowadays) go and check them out in person and see which one fits your hand better.

Another thing to keep in mind is that thumb Dpad on most of these will feel and handle a little different than the thumb stick on the G13, which is more like an analog joystick.
>> what’s wrong with it?

it’s finally just wearing out. the thumb control doesn’t work right anymore.

Thanks for pointers to the razor orbweaver, I’ve Been watching YouTube vids all morning on it. Looks like it will do the trick. Time to try something new I suppose. The thumb control looks better anyway.
I had a G13 thumbstick wear out after 2 months of use, so I went back to Razer and got the new Tartarus since I had the old tartarus for 4 years with now problems before my G13. Absolutely love the Tartarus, but I definitely would suggest the Orbweaver over it for mechanical keys. But if you absolutely want the G13 still, I have a BNIB one left that Logitech sent me after I told them I was switching to Razer when they wouldn't initially honor the extra warranty I paid for. As of right now it's just collecting dust in my closet, never thought of getting rid of it before not, don't even know what it's going for right now.
04/30/2018 08:43 AMPosted by Pstachió
I had a G13 thumbstick wear out after 2 months of use, so I went back to Razer and got the new Tartarus since I had the old tartarus for 4 years with now problems before my G13. Absolutely love the Tartarus, but I definitely would suggest the Orbweaver over it for mechanical keys. But if you absolutely want the G13 still, I have a BNIB one left that Logitech sent me after I told them I was switching to Razer when they wouldn't initially honor the extra warranty I paid for. As of right now it's just collecting dust in my closet, never thought of getting rid of it before not, don't even know what it's going for right now.
$250-350 Newegg, Amazon, EBay, but those are what I would call exploitative prices.

Last one I bought from Amazon (just a few months ago), I paid $63.00 including tax and shipping.
04/30/2018 09:47 AMPosted by Ehiztari
$250-350 Newegg, Amazon, EBay, but those are what I would call exploitative prices.

Yikes. Yeah, if I found someone who wanted to buy it I definitely wouldn't sell it for that much.
04/29/2018 10:23 AMPosted by Ehiztari
If you can't wait, this is probably the best you're going to find out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Orbweaver-Chroma-Mechanical-Adjustable/dp/B013P0HW7K

Sad times, the G13 is so much better than the Orbweaver and I tried Orbweaver before but gave it to back to my Dad who only plays wow, I don't play wow but I play a lot of Overwatch.
so I bought and I have been using the orbweaver stealth. keys are easy to push BUT the thumb stick/joystick position is in a bad placement making the orbweaver more fatiguing on my hand than the G13 (even with using the sliders). Youtube reviews say the same thing, they were right.

Also for those thinking about using the Orbweaver, when you install the UI to program the keys and have the driver loaded, it requires you are logged into Razer service. I find this to be a bit....weird/invasive for a driver.
The biggest reason I've stayed away from the otherwise wonderful Razer hardware is that stupid Synapse software they use.

Far more trouble than it's worth.

If I remember correctly, though, there might be a way to set the Orbweaver up to store the profile locally and not require the connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKDTc0DCGE8

You lose the ability to save changes, but if you aren't making changes, offline mode works just fine.

Me? I haven't made a change to my G13's key/value sent assignments in months.
The reason I LOVE the g13 so much is the placement of the thumb stick. It is flat rather than on the side.

No one else makes a gamepad that works as well.

I really hope they come out with a replacement soon.
Damnit. I have been hoping to find a good alternative. I think my G13 is on it's last leg. The LCD went dark and it wouldn't work. It eventually came back on and started working again but I doubt it will last.

Really sucks there is no equivalent device out there. Not a huge fan of Razer devices and that Orbweaver looks to be the only remotely similar replacement for the G13.

Normally I do not bump old topics, but I feel that this bit of information is very useful.

For my case, my G13’s G3 key was not responding (this is Hotbar1 for me, not used often but still well used.) Using 91% rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip carefully between the lower 2 layers of the membrane didn’t help much, but did tell me the key was still alive after blowing it dry and plugging it in with a Notepad window open.

My problem was that key’s membrane was constantly touching, so it was being ignored. As a mid-term solution, I had tried using a thin cut-off of plastic from an M.2 tray (what it comes in when you buy one), as well as some fickle use of the flat end of a plastic iFixIt poker. it does work as the fix intended, albeit slightly slower activation time compared to other keys (talking about 1-2ms later, which is not that much.)

Hopefully this helps those that also come here from Google!