Loading WoW Forever on Linux - Tutorial

Alright gents this is what worked for me sifting thru some other threads where people posted what worked for their distros.

  • OS: CachyOS x86_64
  • Kernel: Linux 7.2.6-1-cachyos
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
  • Memory: 64 GB
  • I run GNOME so I’m on Wayland

-

Launcher: Faugus

  • Game/App

    • Path: [path to battle.net’s .exe file]
    • Prefix: [path to fake windows environment game runs inside of. should be just the root folder containing battle.net files]
    • Proton: GE-Proton11-7-x86_64
  • Tools

    • Protonfix: blank
    • Game Arguments: --in-process-gpu
    • Launch Settings:
      • WINE_SIMULATE_WRITECOPY=1
      • PROTON_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
      • MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 (probably dont need this, supposed to be for firefox, im just listing what worked for me)
  • I checked no sleep so the game doesnt shut off afk

--Open WoW Forever Beta from Battle.net client

--Before loading character, click menu at the top, drag the graphics slider all the way to 1 and save

--You should be able to load in without the GPU hanging now

--Keep the slider at 1 and manually set all other graphics settings back to max if you want. I was trying to test and see what was causing my crashes, everything enabled for me but the only thing I didn’t touch is the Ray Tracing which was already disabled. Direct 12 still works for me and everything else loads on max

--NOTE: The max graphic settings I set in game only work for that play session. If you reload your client, you have to open the menu button prior to loading, and move the slider back to 1 (or up to 2 and back to 1) to reset all the graphics.

--I literally set every setting to max (EXCEPT the 1-10 slider) and the game runs fine after loading in on the lowest graphics settings. Idk what’s causing the problems but this is what works for me.

Edit: in my secondary tests, “Secondary Lighting” seems to be an option thats causing crashing, probably avoid that option

17 Likes

Oh for the love of god. And they say AI is going too far and is going to kill us all…
2 hours with Sonnet 5
$12 with Fable 5.1 (free promotional balance from earlier in the year)

Fixed it with 1 click after searching on duckduckgo…

Thank you

2 Likes

Oh my god thank you so much. I was having zero issues except with one character not being able to log in, did this and it fixed that character’s log in issue. Insane

I was working fine last night. Not sure wtf changed but thank you

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same on my end as well. The graphics workaround is fine for now as a temporary workaround, but obviously not ideal. I’ve also run into a number of smaller issues like the lighting being way too dark in the login & character select screens, exceptionally high latency (I am east coast), etc.

CachyOS, Ryzen 7 9800X3D, RTX 5080.

Blizzard, if you can hear me, please consider Linux support :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had lag issues from Ohio. I used Proton VPN Free to vpn to LA and lag is gone.

Spoke too soon. I now can play for a bit but eventually it starts flickering hardcore

Nobara, 128gb ram, 4080, 5950x

Honestly given the surge in Linux migration, Im surprised blizz hasn’t deployed support. Then again they are part of Microsoft now right?

it just works on my steam machine. get the launcher and pop it in steam. run it on one of the older protons or the ge-proton under compatibility. thats it.
i dont even know how to use a terminal.

2 Likes