Linux users unable to log in, WOW51900328/329 error after logging in

I used sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=128 to change my ttl.

Can understand the fun angle. Some days puzzles like this or small coding projects can keep a person nicely occupied compared to the normal ‘fun’ things.

Tried a traceroute to the server I was connected to and it gets10 hops before things stop responding. So with me seeing a ttl of 51 for the packets hitting this machine it would be be higher than 55 at the server I was playing on. This was one of the Sydney servers. I am 7 hops just to enter Sydney.

Not going to worry about ttl mangling though I had checked my masquerading rules to see if they were doing anything. Now I am back to 64 turns out I was bored enough to try going smaller. Currently playing with a ttl of 16.

I can confirm this does work, I did see the Untangle router update sometime during the attacks. I am guessing some update went out to the linux users. I did not try this because I have never needed to do this but it appears now I will have too.

1 Like

Before I applied this fix, I was still able to connect to Oceanic servers. Does this mean that those servers are still vulnerable, or that it was just a poor implementation? If it’s the former, Blizz may want to look at that before they get hit. If it’s the latter, maybe look into the difference between implementations

Some of their IP ranges don’t seem to have this DDOS protection in it, I posted an iptables that changes TTL via mangle tables on the outbound for only 2 of their IP blocks, I found 1 IP block that did not seem to matter even though my game client for sure was speaking to it on their standard ports.

I’ve pretty much stopped looking into this issue since things seem to work with how I’ve implemented it, however if something changes I may look more into this but for now they need to figure this out for their customers instead of knocking them offline.

They are lucky we found work arounds
 #passthebuck

1 Like

The Hero we deserve. TWITCH PRIME PEOPLE!

For those of you running Manjaro (Haven’t tested on other distros) here is a sure fire way to make sure the “ip_default_ttl” stays persistent when you reboot.

Open your terminal and paste this:

sudo -s
 echo "net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=128" >> /etc/sysctl.d/sysctl.conf

If you didn’t get an error, restart the computer. If you get an error: no such file or directory . Then you need to create this file. By using this commands you can create a file and write there an information about TTL.

sudo -s
touch /etc/sysctl.d/net.conf
 echo "net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=128" >> /etc/sysctl.d/net.conf

If, for some reson it doesn’t stick after a reboot, go to /etc/sysctl.conf. Open it with SU and manually change it.

I have been thinking about this, and I do believe this issue is strictly related to Linux users.
As to why it also seems to affect windows/Mac users: routers usually rely on linux to perform their functions and provide web access to their configuration interface.

I bet if those with windows 10 connect “directly” to their internet provider’s modem, they would see their issue resolved. (As long as the ISP is a modem and not a modem/router combination.) Usually you can “bridge” the combination to just provide modem functions.

Also maybe just trolloff if you’re not going to bring anything constructive?

1 Like

I really want to make a comment to this
but it would cause me to be banned.

3 Likes

Or just get creative without being vulgar. You can be snarky too

I’m afraid my lack of patience would get the best of me and I would just blow a gasket. Better to be quite lol.

My two Linux PCs are working once again with no settings changes!

Can anyone else verify it is working again?
The Android app is working for me (I just installed it.)

I have a post in the main thread about the 6 types of users who were still down after Monday.

I did submit a support bug ticket yesterday.

Can confirm. Back up no changes made. YMMV.

Can confirm too, just logged in without applying the TTL change.

Thanks for getting all Android/Linux based operating systems connecting again!

Someone should inform Bryan Lunduke and The Linux Gamer that this was only an temporary issue - they made a YouTube video about the connection issues.

I will resubscribe next time since the connection issues are fixed!

FYI: WowMatrix is a nice Add on manager that supports Linux.

Seems the workaround is necessary again at least for me. Had been running fine for a while but not at this time without increasing TTL.

Again this is not an acceptable long term workaround, cannot expect someone to have root to change a kernel option for a user mode program.

I had the same issue yesterday. Also since last Thursday the android app was broken for me.

Today there was updates for both the mobile app and the blizzard client and I got in!

Also remember this also caused issues to windows users (different ttl settings), windows users with Linux firewalls, and Windows users who connected with their Android phones.

Hopefully I can get my characters up to 120 in retail (I am 114) and 60 (right now 34) in classic playing on Linux!

Also FYI: Starcraft 2 using DirectX 9 to Vulkan (you can configure in the latest version of Lutris) is much faster. The only blizzard game I can not get to play on Linux is Heroes of the Storm. (Get “An unexpected error has occurred” message all the time!)

Hey all,

Sorry we missed this thread when we closed these out earlier. The problem which originally caused this was resolved a while ago. If you’re still having problems, it’d be unrelated to what we were investigating here. I’d start your own thread in that situation.