Likelihood of layering?

People are already quitting due to queues. I suspect adding layering will result in far fewer quits.

Layering won’t fix that though. Layering doesn’t affect the qs. So you’d have double people quitting.

False. Layering increases concurrent player caps. You could see this in action when layering was removed from the full pop servers, immediately causing queues to return to said realms.

Remember how there were no queues when layering was around? Obviously it will help.

No it doesn’t. You should do your research. Layering just reduced zone congestion. It has NOTHING to do with concurrent players.

I’d suggest you do your research, actually.

Hm… that was actually exactly what layering was for to increase the number of concurrent players.

I did. Here let me help you.

The reason we can’t do that initially is that on launch day, everybody will be clustered in the starting zones, and having players so close together causes an exponential drain on server resources. In fact, the same number of players cause more server problems crammed into Northshire than they do spread across all of Elwynn Forest. We expect that even after the first couple of days, we’ll need fewer layers than we need for the initial hours of launch, and our stress tests have confirmed that expectation.

Layering allows more players into the same area. A que happens at a certain relative player count. The server size remains the same. Layering allows more players on, but the server size is the same.

Layering is continent wide, and while it might help with number of players in a specific zone it also allows more players total to be logged into the server.

Is it layering though?

If it is watch for 50% of the players to call them out for going back on their word.

Good question. If adding layers that are City only for example, will allow an increase of the concurrent login capacity without serious performance deficits, and also reduce the possibility for exploitation (except potentially for RFC/Stockades, if they are connected to the same zone), then I wonder if that would be a workable solution.

Of course, I don’t have a good enough understanding of precisely how layering works to know whether it would be a worthwhile effort to implement city-only layering, in an attempt to reduce queue times. I do suspect that cities have the highest population density though.

Yes, but the server caps remain the same. Hence why it wouldn’t help. The problems with Incendius (as an example) is that the sheer number of players would just hit the cap even with layering. So you would get less login delay, but you’d still have a queue.

I willing to bet it’s some form of layering with something to address their specific concerns about world bosses(which is the only reason they disabled layering to begin with)

The server caps are the same, however the concurrent logged in player counts are higher with more layers.

I can agree with this. However I still stand by my original point that I don’t believe it would stop the qs. I think this is a situation of ‘too late’.

Well, they seem to be working on something. The speculation that it is turning layering back on is just that, at the moment.

Multiboxers were here since Vanilla #Nochanges. Maybe get rid of the toxic streamers.

Yes and I am most certainly curious what their ‘solution’ will be. Part of me dreads the answer.

1 Like

Likewise. :slight_smile:

Reread the blue post i quoted. Think really hard about it. I’m sure you can figure it out and draw some conclusions.

The post you linked was pre-launch. The actual implementation of layering increased concurrent server caps in response to massive queues, hence why Blizzard warned of large queues once they were removed. This really isnt complicated, bro.