Likelihood of layering?

How likely is Blizzy to do layering again? It was heavily abused on release, but everyone seems to think that’ll be their approach now that the queues are on their radar.

Given how server pops have played out since layering went away, I think the odds are very high. And they probably layer much more aggressively next time too so they can avoid having to open more servers than they ultimately need once the hype wave dies down.

99.9% likely for phase 4.5 or 5

Gotcha. I think if they handled multiboxers and bots, then the queues would be under control to around one to two hours which would result in a lot more people on Incendius being happy. Idk what Whitemane and Faerlina are like, though.

What would layering do to queue times? Does layering actually have any effect on server capacity or does it simply help to clear player congestion in zones?

Hellfire peninsula better be layered tbh

Clears congestion which in theory could allow them to boost the top end capacity because you’re not having constant zone crashes due to overcrowding.

Oh, I see what you mean. So, layering doesn’t directly have any effect on server capacity, but could alleviate some of the p2p issues in zones that are heavily populated.

Interesting…

layering increases concurrent player server caps. when layering was removed in p2, queues immediately reappeared on the servers that still had layers prior.

Keep in mind it was being exploited to farm stuff like black lotuses BIG TIME.

1 Like

Honestly I think the exploitation is worth it in the short term over having a host of struggling servers while everyone pool on the same 2-3.

Plus let’s be honest the next time we see Layering is probably BC launch, IDK if there’s as much that’s super exploitable there like Black Lotus was in Classic.

Oh yeah, there’s tons of layering exploits. It would be surprising if they brought layering back, but it would certainly make some people level faster, get rich quick, etc.

I’d be surprised if layering is what is in store, but we’ll see.

black lotuses are already dominated by multiboxing goldfarmers and bots on full servers, so honestly if the market gets decimated on those thanks to layering… the average player probably couldnt care less.

So you are willing to mess up the economy again no thanks. If you don’t like the wait leave simple as that.

1 Like

Sine the community will roast them if they turn layering back on, I expect them to do nothing. Stuff like this happens when customers complain about everything that I company does.

Zero chance. They wanted layering to be gone before world bosses were released so that there would only be one per realm. World bosses are out now.

Who cares? The economy is already a mess. And again, no need to leave - blizzard has already announced incoming fixes.

fixes are incoming, they were announced 2 days ago.

I want to say 0%.

I don’t think they’d need to do internal testing with layering and they said they’re doing internal testing on whatever it is meant to help with the queue so that makes me think it’s something else.

At the same time though, it could literally just be layering with some minor changes to how we experienced it at launch.

If they re-add layering I can imagine some people quitting. Layering is just sharding with a different name after all.

This whole issue is caused by blizzard’s stupid idea to make server sizes so freaking huge.