LF RP Mentor/Help

I am getting anxiety whenever I try to roleplay in the game and end up freezing up when it’s my turn to respond. I am not confident about my writing and am worried about being judged. But I do fine 1 on 1 in discord or places where I’m given a good amount of time to respond. I’m very frustrated because I see that people are having fun roleplaying in the game.

What do I do about this? I really want to get comfortable with roleplaying publicly in game. I thought maybe having a mentor helping me with responses would be something I need. But please let me know if there are groups I can join that help with this or advice I can take.

5 Likes

Try doing one on one RP at large public events. Trust me, nobody else will be judging you as they’ll be too busy struggling to keep up with their own conversations.

There’s also Friendship Fundays!

And if you ever see me online, feel free to send me a message about RP. I very much enjoy helping people make their way into the RP scene. The more, the merrier!

2 Likes

Do you have the same amount of trouble when RPing one-on-one in-game? You mention one-on-one in Discord specifically, so I’m just wondering if you’ve been RPing in groups in-game and if stepping out of the city with one friend might help.

I know that when something is causing you anxiety, any version of “Don’t worry about it” is unlikely to help – but in spite of that, I want to say that I don’t think in-game RP is a place that calls for highly skillful prose. It’s a place for improvisation, and the writing just needs to get the point across.

I relate a lot to the fear of judgement, and I haven’t found a way to completely overcome it or keep it from ever freezing me up. I get nervous when walking up to my own friends. But the reality is that no one is going to judge you as harshly as I’m guessing you judge yourself – and if they do, they’re probably not someone you need to have around.

If you’d like, and if it would help, feel free to mail me and I’d be happy to meet up for RP sometime.

5 Likes

If you see me around in game feel free to reach out, sometimes just hanging out in one of the local hotspots can help. It took me a while to get used to it all.

The most important aspect of rp is that your having fun and enjoying yourself, so if your down just reach out to me and i’ll try to make some time :slight_smile: Wish you the best mate.

3 Likes

Honestly, the worst hurdle I’ve found to get over is just getting out there and doing it. Occasionally I’ll go park myself on a character somewhere busy just to see what happens, but I generally see more success with walk-ups when I’m on a friendly character initiating the walk-up.

I will note though that it’s perfectly okay too if public RP isn’t your cup of tea. I personally prefer RPing within a smaller circle of friends, either in-game or via Discord(Discord is nice because I can work on art stuff while posting). Going this route means that RP might be a bit more scarce, but when it does happen it’s generally more satisfying.

Anyway, the main point is you’ve just gotta find your groove and stick to it. And sometimes what works for you isn’t the same thing as what seems to be “the norm”. If you need someone to chatter at and want to add me on Btag or Discord I can post you that info later as well.

4 Likes

Hiyas!! There is a ton of great advice already shared. :slight_smile:

Have you tried rp’ing in discord for a bit with people and then going into in game rp with them later?

I am game for rp whenever I am online. I don’t mind waiting and I don’t mind helping/answering questions. Tamanii already mentioned Friendship Fundays! <3 Its a weekly rp event that takes place on sundays to help form connections between new players, returning players, and any interested rp’er. There is space to rp stuff related to the Friendship Fundays in discord and the wow game.

2 Likes