LF basic tips on this parse (Holy raid healing)

Long time player, done some mythic+ at a reasonable level, but was disc for all of 9.0 and legion.

Switching to holy because I pug a lot and raid lead a lot and can’t focus on my ramps and multiple disc priests in a raid overlap make phases that are weak for discipline really really weak.

Anyhoo here’s a pull
http s://youtu. be/ihFPW8hbKrc

And the parse
http s://www.warcraftlogs .com/reports/VydZBabJFvjfw1Dn

think it’s the last two wipes.

Also is there a legendary that is better for painsmith? I’m guessing mending is gucci on that fight was wondering if there’s something better than FC.

Might as well include this taza’vesh too but I feel like all I have to do in 5 mans is maintain “Flash” concentration for 3 hours straight and I’m good to go. http s://www.warcraftlogs. com/reports/jfrJFyBan1NPdb67

Hey!

Just taking a peek at your logs now, wondering why you’re not running Salvation in a raid scenario? Your spell usage looks about correct, I think you’re just missing a big ton of healing from Salv - as a starting point.

FC is the only leggo choice for us. We are pretty much locked to it. I’ll skip suggestions for WAs to manage it etc, it since you know how it works based on your 5 man comment haha.

The best suggestion I can come up with other than Salv is to suggest dumping some haste for mastery. If you take a peek at some of my logs (I’ll link you one), you can see my echo is healing for a much more significant amount than yours. With FC, mastery is super nice because we just basically randomly cast heal on people and let mastery do the rest.

I’m by no means an elite gamer but I think you just need some very minor tweaking of stats and talents and you’re good to go. It’s a pretty major change from disc playstyle but you’ll get the hang of it.

a log of mine for comparison:

https ://www.warcraftlogs. com/reports/97ymzhLNkG1QqdXj#fight=50&type=healing&source=1

Yah I wasn’t planning on raid healing but couldn’t find a pug replacement so I swapped toons, that’s why I wasn’t running Salv.

Then just the mastery. Your spell usage is pretty much the same as mine. I think that will make a heap of difference for you. :slight_smile: I play disc sometimes too and have separate rings and such for haste and mastery.

FC is always bis
You have to rotate healing cds with other healers on Pain smith, position your Divine hym carefully. Don’t get spiked while casting it and pray that someone don’t run through you with a chain.

Oh you forgot to use Soulletting ruby btw.
Try to heal immediately after damage happens, let your Echo of light have time to work.

Rotation.
PoM–>Damage happens -->Sanctify+Serenity, CoH, heals.

So from what I can see order of most important for HPS to least:

1. Hit Prayer of Mending as close to off CD as possible - you only cast it 6 times, and in a 4 minute wipe you can hit it potentially 26 times.
  2. Need to use Divine Hymn/Apoth. Your CDs are your big raid healing moments. On painsmith the best time to use Hymn is when you’re popping traps. Your other healers might be using theirs on one trap set, use yours on the other. For Apoth - you really shouldn’t use this and should use salv, but if you have to use it, I would pop it for traps as well, or the tank hammer throws. You can Sanc → Serenity → Apoth → Sanc → Serenity then continue spot healing. IF you don’t blow your CDs, you’re bound to have low HPS, since during your CDs you’re likely gonna be doing 20k+ hps for their duration.
  3. Stack Flash Concentration before the fight, and don’t let it fall off. You can flash heal 5 times, then drink pre-pull and then just maintain those stacks through the fight. Flash healing 5 times is a decent chunk of mana. Looks like you stacked it post-pull and let it drop a couple times (though one was a death - so inevitable).
  4. Use Mindgames - It’s free mana and healing so long as it gets used. You can also use it before most the tank hammer throws and it’ll always give you full mana back.
  5. Use Holy Words more. It looks like you’re probably holding them for major healing instances. But really, in raid you should be using them when they’ll give you decent value - don’t have to wait for emergencies. Sanctify you can just drop after any big AoE hit (again, tank mechanic is good for this - Mindgames him during his cast, then after it goes off, Sanctify). Serenity is very useful for people with chain debuff, since they’ll perpetually be getting low.
  6. If there’s no healing to do - Put up a SW:P/Holy Fire and start Smiting. It’s actually pretty mana efficient because it procs Surge of Light and will save you mana on a future Flash heal.

Just watching the video… here’s a few things I noticed.

1. You need to use PoM and CoH basically on cd. CoH obviously only when there’s people to heal, but PoM always on cd. You can put 10 stacks of it on the tank before the pull starts. They’re your primary filler spells and utilize smart AI.
  2. You’re casting too much Flash Heal vs Heal. You want to already have FC up to 5 stacks before you pull the boss. Only refresh FC when you’re at 5s or less on the timer.
  3. You’re not using your raid wide healing cds (Salvation + Divine Hymn). Salvation can be used on the 1st set of traps and then you can Hymn later sets. You can actually double salv on Painsmith because it takes 5 minutes to recharge it, but that’s if you got slow dps.
  4. You need more mastery. 35%+ is the current target.

TY, thought I was hitting PoM a little more often.

What are some fights holy is really bad at?

What should I be doing during Painsmith intermissions where I can’t necessarily park and heal? PoM still but am I ever tossing out renews or shields?

I don’t think there’s any fights Holy is actually very bad at. Maybe the closest would be Remnant? You don’t have a lot of time to channel a hymn during remnant.

As far as painsmith intermission, PoM and CoH off CD - everyone is taking burn damage so they will both get value. Refresh Flash Concentration when possible either with a SoL proc, or when you stop to avoid red swirlies. If anyone steps in spikes, or eats swirlies, etc. Use your holy words to spot heal them. You can also cast heal if you have time. Basically you look for the gap, run to where it is, plant your feet while the spikes pass you and swirlies are still falling and cast heal/flash heal, and then move to the next gap.

As far as Renew, it’s kinda complicated. You can use it while running if PoM and CoH are off CD. But generally I wouldn’t recommend hitting it. You have a druid, so he should be tossing out rejuvs through it, and renew is still very mana inefficient. Unless you feel you have extra mana, or you’re not burning mana fast enough, may as well just save it and use it to pump out more heals later in the fight. If all you’re looking to do is HPS though, and don’t really mind about wasting mana/etc. Then sure go for it.

In Painsmith I’ll sometimes use Renew on the two debuffed with chains because in our group it’s pretty much solely my responsibility to heal them, so I know they’ll get full value and won’t overheal. But in general play you probably should stay away from it.

Almost all of the fights play towards holys strengths this raid tier compared to last tier. The damage alternates between raid-wide burst to damage auras and the raid is more spread out. There’s just some fights where channeling divine hymn may be hazardous to your health so you have to be cautious of your surroundings.

I only use renew on fights where you have to do a dance phase for like 30s and you can’t stop and cast heals. That’s mainly Painsmith and Soulrender right now. PWS is really just an absolute emergency button or if you’re using fae guardians to send your damage reduction faerie onto the tank.

1 Like

In my guild my salvation was used during first intermission so nobody really died by the dot or anything and no healer had to really stop to heal, and in the 2nd intermission we used our 2nd holy priest salvation.
For the traps we used our shaman disc and paladin cds + Divine hymns combinations to survive them. We did it as a 30man HC raid with 5 healers.

BUT in case someone gets hit by something during intermission you park only in a safe spot and you know you will survive by doing it (and this is important, you should survive at any cost no matter if someone fks up, thats their fault not yours) and heal them, renew and pom and if you have serenity that can help too.

It is odd renew isn’t more effecient, used to be that way.

I think holy’s weak spot is huge blasts infrequently, bad for PoM, no DR CD, can’t teally get HoTs going ahead of time.

Especially if the raid is spread.

Automatic Jak has a good guide for Holy on WoWhead. For long fights, you’ll want to stack as much Crit./Mastery as you can to conserve mana (fewer casts, fatter heals).

Use Symbol of Hope, Divine Hymn and Salvation (Soulletting Ruby trink. pairs well with these), and covenant ability as early as practical will allow and often. Keep flash concentration stacks up. Keep Holy words and POM on cooldown as often as you can. Use Renew on the run or for topping off. PWS for emergency.

One thing that I still struggle with while stacking mastery is trying to minimize my overhealing and letting my echoes heal people instead tunneling on one person topping them off. So I try to always hit the lowest health person with one cast and continue to rotate through.

Renew itself isn’t terribly inefficient, but you’d have to stack a lot of crit/haste/versatility. It’s just Flash Concentration Heal + Trail of Light + Echo completely blows it out of the water in terms of HPS.

Holy is a spot healer and you’d ideally be staggering raid healing cds inbetween big bursts.