Leveling Professions prior to Max Level

Hi everyone I just got back from classic and I was wondering if it is worth to take professions and level them up while leveling. I ask this because I am leveling so fast that I am out scaling the items I can make. My thoughts are it would still be worth leveling my herb/alchem while I am leveling my character because they give exp and progress my prof level which I assume will be at level 1 if I start it at Max. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Personally I find it best to level with herb/mining as both will give you additional xp while you go, as well as mats to sell on the AH. Believe it or not there are some ores from past expansions that still sell pretty good because of requirements to make mounts or other items.

Once you get to 120, or even at 110 when I’m entering BFA is when I switch to my final professions. The way professions are in their current iteration, you aren’t gimping yourself by waiting to switch.

The way profs work at the moment is that they are split into categories based on expansion. So say you make a few recipes from Burning Crusade and get 5 levels in your Blacksmithing. Those 5 levels do not apply to BFA Blacksmithing. It is it’s own separate category within the profession and will still start at 1 when you get into that expansion’s content. You will retain those 5 levels in BC Blacksmithing though of course. So essentially until you get to BFA, any progress you get on a profession beforehand will be meaningless if your end goal is current expansion Blacksmithing.

The caveat here is if you are targetting specific recipes or items from a past expansion’s Blacksmithing which you would like to work toward, then it may be worth it in your mind to level that as soon as possible.

If none of that makes sense let me know lol…

1 Like

I use either herb/mining or herb/alchemy as my default while leveling a new character if don’t need a toon for a crafting profession.

There;s always a market for herbs and minerals and my thought on alchemy is that every little stat helps even if your skill is too low to make level appropriate pots and flasks.

1 Like

Ah ok I see thank you!