I’ve been enjoying wow forever quite a bit but.. the leveling is too fast. This is going to be a game with horizontal progression rather than vertical, so why does it still feel like it’s a rush? In part, the experience buff to dungeon quests was way too much. I was anticipating like a 2-5% increase (maximum of like 300 more xp). However quests that would give like 800-1k xp on era are now giving 4k+, nearly 1/4 of a level. I think a nerf to dungeon mobs is a good idea to help with aoe farming and level sellers, but increasing the xp this much wasn’t the solution. I think a small increase to the quests to encourage people to come in with the quests to do the pre read and nerfing the dungeon mob xp is good. But I shouldn’t be able to skip entire leveling zones because I ran a dungeon. Especially as we will be getting more xp buffs on our alts with the legacy system.i really hope that the feedback from the beta changes the leveling process.
i agree
/10 char
Dont make this a complaint because if its true all the streamers that leveled too fast for their gear in hardcore mode will be hilarious.
There are a few things adding to this OP, and I’m just putting them here because they are my current thoughts. I’ve leveled on character to 20 and 3 others to 10+.
-
Because this is beta, people have a sense of urgency that will not be present for everyone in the live game. That has affected behavior, the number of hours played at a sitting, and how aggressively people are trying to speed level so they can finish and see other classes/races/starting zones, etc.
-
The highest we can go is 20. Later levels get much, much longer. It’s hard to judge the entire questing journey at level 20, and any speed we’ve gained in that process is going to feel much more consequential at 10, 15, and 20 than it will at 35/45/50.
That said, it is faster.
- I think the run speed is slightly faster (I like it).
- Grinding mobs still has roughly the same xp/hr as questing, which I also like because it’s an option when you want a particular kind of drop or you don’t want to quest a certain chain of a zone.
- Regen is slightly faster, but it feels much faster in the first 10 levels. At level 20, and as a healer in a dungeon, it feels the same to me as it ever has. Mana is very limited. Rage and energy must be spent wisely. It doesn’t play differently to me in group content. It does, however, reduce drinking/eating time during the level grind. Is this a good change? I think so. Will everyone agree? Not a chance.
I spent 17-18 doing nothing but killing gnolls SW of Sentinel Hill, and I was able to accomplish that faster than I would have in Vanilla. Was it “too fast?” I don’t know. I didn’t time it, which was stupid. I should have. I will try to time it again with the same scenario on my next toon.
My point is: Yes, it’s faster. It’s not just the questing or just the camping buff (I didn’t have one when I was grinding gnolls). It’s faster at 10 and 20, but it’s less obvious at 20. Will it be too fast or trivialize things later on…or will it be a lovely balance in the back half of the leveling? I don’t know.
The new quest rewards and drops mean we have much better gear than would have been typical in vanilla. However, as you get to higher levels, for casters (haven’t looked at melee) the damage as spells rank up is less than vanilla - in other words it has been adjusted on the assumption you will have more +spell dmg.
1-20 is just over 10% of xp so 1-60 should take about 9 times more time. However, that may depends on how many dungeons you do and how many dungeon quests there are. The biggest jump in the levelling is the amount of rewards from dungeon quests - on my first 20 I deliberately did no dungeons to see as much of the open world content as possible. On my 2nd toon I levelled from 14-20 very quickly from doing three different dungeons. With all the extra dungeons depending on how many dungeons quests there are, then it may be possible to mostly level from dungeons.
Yeahhh boiii you better run!
I appreciate this, thank you! I suppose on my end, I am coming from the position of somebody who has leveled multiple level 60s in hardcore era, regular era, and am an altoholic in retail. I have spent the same amount of time playing the beta as I generally would in a weekend where I didn’t have a lot of responsibilities (such as this weekend) and I feel as though I have gotten significantly further both in gear and in level comparatively. I know in part this is due to not having to play as safe, but the experience from dungeon quests imo is way too much. I think questing in the open world has been going pretty well in terms of experience, but I think that my true biggest critique / feedback is that dungeon quests shouldn’t give that much experience. Frankly I find that it more reflects retail questing versus the era questing in regards to dungeons
The entire problem is the insane dungeon quest xp.
it makes leveling on rails. the entire journey is so easily optimized this way. they said they wanted multiple paths to 60… Everyone who wants to level fast will be doing 1 run of each dungeon, and the minimum amount of prequesting for each, skipping entire halves of regions in the process.
Do durotar, do RFC, do the forgotten pools quest chain then WC. Boom your 20.
Forget zhevra hooves and striders youre skippng all that