Level 50 Hunter, thinking about getting a new pet for the first time?

I’m new to classic and I just recently power leveled my hunter to 50 - I’ve had the same cat the entire way up, his ability is cower so it’s pretty useless, but I’ve had a ton of XP with him so here is what his stats look like:

Level 49
61-78 Damage
4411 Armor
2262 Health
60 Fire, Nature, Frost, Arcane Resistance

Recently I’ve been getting a ton of aggro and couldn’t help but wonder if a boar would serve as a better pet. When I run a beast lore on the ones in Blasted Lands, it shows a ton of more damage but their health is a lot lower.

Disclaimer:
I realize that I’ve had a ton of XP with the cat I’m currently using since I’ve fought the most amount of mobs with him, so I have taught him a ton of extra stuff. However, I don’t know if those spells transfer over to a new pet, such as the boar. If I get the level 49 boar, will he get mogged by regular monsters at a faster rate? Should I just stick with my cat?

Hopefully I can get some help. Thank you!

1 Like

I guess my first question with regards your cat is what are the ranks of the active abilities? Also, what’s your spec as a hunter?

Beast Mastery

Rank 4 Growl
Rank 6 Natural Armor
Rank 6 Great Stamina
Rank 2 Frost, Nature, Shadow, Fire Resistance

Look for something with a high rank of Claw you can tame, then use it until you learn Claw and can teach it to your original cat. Bite, Prowl and Dash are also useful. The armor/health/damage you see using beast lore don’t reflect the stats it would have as a trained pet.

What does that mean when you say “use it until you learn Claw.” After I use that pet with claw over a period of time, then I can go to a pet trainer and learn the spell? Sorry for the questions - new to classic and new to hunter.

Every time a pet uses an ability there’s a chance you gain the ability to teach that ability to any pet that is capable of learning it. A message appears in the chat log iirc

You don’t have to go back to the pet trainer, you use the beast training thing in your spellbook

1 Like

I love this post. Actually training pets is one of the coolest pains of Classic. As Constine notes, not all pet abilities are learned at the pet trainer. Certain abilities can only be learned by taming a beast with that ability and commanding the beast to use it (or turn it on auto). Once you, the hunter, learn the ability as your pet uses it, you can teach it to other pets of that same class that don’t have that ability. That allows you to keep a pet you’ve had for a long time, but teach it new abilities found in the wild.

2 Likes

so some pets can teach you an ability, like charge, claw, thunderclap,etc. then you can sometimes teach it to your fav pet. my fav classic pet is the gorilla because it has high stam and an aoe thunderclap that acts as a taunt on multiple targets. you can also uprank an ability. if your pet learns claw, you can tame another pet that has claw rank 2, learn it and teach it to your claw rank 1 pet, and repeat as necessary. good website

heres the abilities

1 Like

1 min cooldown is rough, though. Doh!

Oh wow that’s very helpful. Thanks for all the info.

Funny you mention the gorilla because I was just fighting 53 gorillas in Ungoro Crater and noticed that thunderclap absolutely deleting my cat… Maybe I will look into grabbing him when the time comes.

1 Like

you can tame a level 34ish gorilla in stranglethorn, and higher levels by booty bay and on jaguero island off the east coast of booty

From what i’m seeing in Petopia (Classic), a rank 4 growl is for level 30 pets. Your pet is level 49 and can learn a rank 5 growl. When it reaches 50, you can teach it rank 6 growl.

Also, intimidation is very useful as a beast mastery hunter. Your pet will hold aggro better with a better growl. If you do pull aggro from your pet, you can use intimidation to stun the mob after which your pet will regain aggro. Also, feign death can be used to lose aggro from a mob.

Yeah I’ve been using all of these (intimidation, growl, and FD). Only reason I said something was because he was holding aggro well without these a few levels back, but now also starting to think it’s the Rank 4 Growl that lost its touch. Will upgrade when I can.

If I spend the XP on a Rank 6, what happens to the XP I spent on the Rank 4? Do I get it back? or does it just disappear into the ether?

As near as I can tell, when you upgrade a skill, the actual cost is the cost of the rank to which you’re upgrading minus the cost of the rank you’re currently at.