Lets Talk - Trust Level 3

Funny thing, most of the level threes aren’t really big fans, they just spend a lot of time on the forums. That means more than a few of us complain–a lot. We just do it in a way that doesn’t get us in trouble (usually). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, the level 3 lounge forum is pretty dull. I don’t think even the devs would spend any time there.

2 Likes

My point wasn’t that I’ve played for 14 years, it was that I’ve been posting on the forums for that long and never had any issues/bans/whatever associated with my account that should cause me to be labeled untrustworthy. And the fact that we’re expected to “farm” and be on the forums X amount of time every day just to achieve this newly created status is absurd.

1 Like

I agree with the absurdity of it, but it’s not the amount of time spent as it is the number of posts “read”. And you can just scroll through those if you want to. But that just proves how truly stupid it is.

I think the whole thing was part of the package that Blizz got when they acquired these forums. Since it’s third party software, I don’t think Blizz can change it.

2 Likes

Uh what? Once you have TL3 you don’t lose it unless flagged 5 times or suspended. You don’t have to read 20k posts every month. Oh and switching posting toons since it’s not account wide (unless that changed)

I think they just changed wow forums to act like all the other ones. I see much less toxic posts than in other expansions.

I am going to be completely honest, as a member of the community and a forum frequenter… Moderation feels like its in a really bad place right now AND the Trust System really shows that.

I personally know several people who have been reported and suspended for the most absurd things (not going into details as discussing specific moderation is against the rules as well as privacy and all that) As someone who dips his toes into many a WoW community I have seen people talk about their suspensions and what the suspension emails quoted for the reasoning. Each time I have told them to contest it as well.

Meanwhile, on top of that, these forums have a really serious issue with false reporting right now and, from my perspective, it honestly feels like little is being done on that front. At least nothing that seems to feel effective in deterring it from continuing.

So pair those points with the trust system and the fact that getting a suspension locks you out of Trust Level 3 forever… dude…

Like, a Trust System is something I do like but I feel that with the current level of moderation on the forums makes it something that is easily stripped from people who do not deserve to lose the option forever all the while people who don’t care about the trust system at all are getting away with abusing the flagging system seemingly to no end.

I think, until moderation improves substantially, there should be a way to earn back the ability to qualify for Trust Level 3. That’s just my two cents, but there should be some way to re-appeal for the ability to earn it back.

Also, I do not know the exact numbers for TL3 off the top of my head but if they are upwards of 20k, as suggested here–

That’s honestly crazy. I spend a TON of time on the forums, to me an almost unhealthy amount of time on the forums lurking and reading and I don’t come close to that. I have a total of 36.6k posts read since the new forums launched (Though I am also not 100% on how the forums track that or how accurate that is OR what the official numbers are for TL3)

I would have to see some sources on the numbers but IF that is the case then honestly that does feel a bit steep. Like I said, I feel like I am on the forums an unhealthy amount just reading and lurking and that number seems insane to me and if I were not an MVP it would probably be unreachable for me and I am a forum addict :confused:

I don’t think the system is perfect and in fact think that things are not in a good place right now on the forums. Obviously I do not know what’s going on with Blizzard’s side of things, what the circumstances are over there right now, thought I wonder how much of the current state of the forums can be attributed to the layoffs that had happened.

Honestly, I know for a fact that the CM’s and mod team are doing their best and I appreciate the heck out of it but at the same time it’s really sucky some of the things I have witnessed first hand as well as many of the stories I have read second hand.

Also, and I am not trying to single you out Zoumz but I want to use your post to make a point.

The fact that this can be a mindset on the forums is very troubling and worrisome. This kind of mindset shows that the people abusing the report system, getting the threads locked, trolling, ect are winning when the general community starts stating things like this. It shows that, without sounding cliche, the bad guys are winning on these forums and that those in the community who abuse the systems can control what people should talk about to the point of condemning an entire group of posters on the forums.

Again, not trying to lock in on your Zoumz and I am sure that’s not what you meant with your post but it is an observation of how that comes off as.

I also, personally, witnessed this happen first hand in the Classic forums with another thread and a group of players literally bragging about abusing the report feature as well as bragging they would continue to abuse it until the thread was closed. Needless to say they won, they derailed the thread to an excessive point and got the thread auto locked on three occasions before a CM finally stepped in and closed the thread down for good.

The bad guys, again not trying to sound cliche here, are quite literally winning and it honestly worries me greatly. I would honestly argue that right now, on these forums, the biggest and most serious issue is the flagging system and how easily abused it is and how it seems like there is little to nothing in ways of repercussions for abusing it right now and I honestly hope that its a constant discussion over at Blizzard among those in charge of the forums.

Anyway, I am getting off track now. I have made my stance clear on my view of the new forums in general before hehe.

Anyway, I do think that in this climate that trust levels should be re-evaluated in terms of raw numbers as well as eligibility and hope that these threads at least generate discussion of some kind over there as they also do here.

12 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Real talk Blizzard, y’all need to make it account wide ASAP so I can make this woman a Worgen.

1 Like

Can we just be honest?

Like real talk.

If you aren’t TL3, you really don’t deserve it. You don’t.

If you think you’re going to be TL3 to post something funny which might be mildly offensive (by today’s standards) then you truly don’t deserve it.

I’m happy enough with the fact that I can post FilthyFrank reactions from YouTube without being sent to the Gulag. This is more than enough given the fact that we are dealing with a forum ran by Blizzard.

1 Like

I’ve seen a couple references sprinkled around that it’s not just a matter of trust, because if it was, you’d be right: posts read is mutually exclusive with trust. What TL3 seems to be, partly, is a participation reward.

I do know that is something that Bliz wants as well. But with the forums being 3rd party, they/we are at the mercy of the owners getting it into the code. Hopefully soon.

It may have changed, but the last I remember Vrak saying was that it was reattainable.

5 Likes

I truly want it after seeing the Worgen updates. They’re so expressive!

1 Like

Apparently it is frowned upon to ask someone to look up the definition of a word right after they insult you. :woman_shrugging:t2:

So yes… yes I have been naughty.

goes to her corner

1 Like

It seems that it’s not a straight across the board rule. Some can earn it back, others don’t seem to be able to. Perhaps it’s based off of severity of the situation? I’m unsure.

1 Like

Indeed.

That could very well be the case. There’s probably a host of nuances that Bliz doesn’t talk about, often because some would use it to game the system.

2 Likes

It is a bit annoying. I know I easily meet the criteria for trust 3 as far as forum activity goes. But I’m fairly sure the reason I don’t have it is because people have flagged my posts before. I don’t know for certain. I’ve not been banned or anything (as far as I know), but I’m pretty sure. I do annoy people sometimes. Not deliberately of course, but I do find myself the target of people’s ire quite a bit. Usually by responding to angry, emotion-fueled threads with contrarian opinions. It’s not a good way to make friends, kids.

1 Like

Which makes sense to a degree. Moderation isn’t black and white. I know that from years of experience when I moderated for Dynamix/Sierra and then Vivendi. There’s always grey areas and it’s more a judgment call on that sort of thing.

Though I do feel trust levels should be more straightforward. Perhaps not if you can earn it back (that falls more under moderation), but there still seem to be a lot of things unspoken about about TL3.

Its not really The Hub. That would be GD which probably has the most traffic on the forums. The lounge is a place where players decide the content and theres been some refreshing activity when posters want to get away from the craziness, but of course GD is going to be the bar that everyone goes to because A) more people and B) more people posting because A is a known fact.

I dont see how that makes it boring. I know its not packed with repetitive topics like “You wake up and…”, but it has its niche.

Its like the OT section. Posters begged for the return of the OT section for years and now its back and people still insist on using GD for whatever diary/facebook topics they can muster. Its sad and honestly my biggest frustration when it comes to the forums.

Im glad not everyone uses the lounge, even though more people could. I wouldnt want for it to turn into another GD.

2 Likes

it used to bother me that I knew I wouldn’t get TL3 because I was banned for a week right at the onset of the new forums.

But then it dawned on me; I will never meet the post read requirement (and I’ve heard the 20k number tossed around before) because if I did, I think I’d go straight out to play in traffic because I’d obviously be a complete waste of life at that point.

1 Like

See, at one time I heard rumblings that this was the case or at least planned to be but then never could find where it was said and don’t always trust my memory haha XD

Ill have to see if I can find said post then, perhaps ill have better luck this go.

2 Likes

I’ll run it by Vrak/Kalv too and see what the current rumblings are. :slight_smile:

What they know is largely dependent on what the web team tells them (and when). So whatever they know may not be perfect.

4 Likes