Let's talk about Bucketshell (and Sir Snips)

I’m pretty big into pet collecting, as my pets tab on the armory will confirm, but this thing has been a bane. Knowing what it would take to grind this, I can’t find any motivation at all to seriously start.

Credit to someone on the warcraftpets forums for this napkin math

400 honor points per match at 22 matches to go to 8800 points (1 lvl)
22 matches at 20 mins per match is 440 mins (7 hrs & 20 mins) per lvl
440 mins at 400 lvls is 176,000 mins
176,000 mins is 2933 hrs & 20 mins
Working on 8 hrs per day, 7 days per week… NO Breaks or down time… so as 1 BG ends the next starts (will never happen).
2933 Hrs & 20 mins at 8 hrs per day is 366 days & 16 hrs

So literally over a year of gameplay. 50% more hours than a full time job for a year. And that means you’re ONLY doing pvp, and have given up raiding, m+, collecting, and everything else there is to do in favor of going for this.

Add in queue timers and you’re looking at a 4000 hour+ grind. I remember doing The Insane (before it’s many nerfs, and it was a ~300 hour grind) back when I was a college student with WAY too much free time on my hands. It still took 11 months. To do that 10 times? Nope.

I know a handful of the ~8000 people who have it.
Almost all of them fall under one of these two categories

• Have linked accounts (i.e - a family of 5 that all share a battle.net account, which shares your mounts/achievements/honor/etc.)

• Did a lot of pvp and/or honor world quests in legion - the conversion from legion honor levels that were character based to the account wide system we’ve had since BFA seemed to be fairly generous (I started out at around 135, and that was only because I did dailies on main to a high level, and dailies on one opposite faction alt for a pet at level 7).
    Those honor WQs also gave far, far more honor than they do today - they were nerfed by 90%, but any new WQs and quests that have been given are closer to the nerfed levels than the original levels.

Also heard recently that there has been at least one exploit that gave inappropriate amounts of honor that was never rolled back.

Do we really need to have collectible stuff that’s on that kind of timescale? Scale it back a bit. Reduce the honor level requirements on some of that high stuff, reduce honor required per level, or give us easier access to higher volumes of honor like we had in legion.

7 Likes

:musical_note: We don’t talk 'bout the crabs, no, no, no :musical_note:

But really, I have nothing to disagree with. I just wish I’d done more of the pvp WQs in Legion, especially since I was running around with so many characters for the class hall stuff, lol.

One thing people have brought up is that we should get honor for pbpvp. If you’re going to make battle pets rewards for honor, you should reward honor for pbpvp. In addition to that, comp stomp is against AI and it rewards honor, but pbpvp which is against another player does not. Makes no sense.

Even if they did this I doubt I’ll ever get the crabs (I don’t even have the honor level 20 pets because I am Bad with a capital B in pvp), but I think it’s something the devs should consider.

1 Like

Do we really need to have collectible stuff that requires a player to do PvP?

3 Likes

I wish they would “shuffle” the PVP rewards again, like they did with the other companion rewards when they transitioned from Prestige to Honor. One set of pets was previously rewarded at a lower level and another set at a higher level. Post-shuffle the sets swapped and the former was rewarded later and the latter earlier. Something like that where the crab pets get swapped to a lower reward slot every now and then. Idk I’m super biased as someone that doesn’t enjoy PVP at all.

All I know is that these two pets simply don’t exist to me and my collection (until there’s a better way to obtain them) :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Update- So I got to 1598 last night.

Basically missing a handful (8) of the oldest CE and blizzcon pets, the 1600 reward, and these two. And it feels bad. Especially when most of the issue is that the rates for honor gain have been drastically reduced since the system was implemented. We’ve had no updates to the system since BFA released in 2018. Feels like it’s time to shuffle the rewards a bit.

2 Likes

Well, the good thing is that it’s battleground bonus week next week. And Comp Stomp is the week after. Those are your 2 best ways of getting honor. So have at it.

I’m only 403 levels away from the pet (lol) and my problem is that I feel bad when I queue because I know I am lousy at PvP. And after a while, Comp Stomp just gets boring.

But I am ok with this. It just makes me respect the players who have actually put in the time to do it. Hats off to them. I wouldn’t really want to back my way into a pet.

2 Likes