Let’s discuss warlocks please

If you don’t mind, you should play Mage :stuck_out_tongue:

Warlock rocks the meters, some rogues might get up over you, some warriors might too. Mages? Nah… People are cookie cutters. You’ll either find the build and the gear or you won’t. Honestly it’s also about playstyle and using the tools you are given to maximum effect. Pulling threat is a problem in some cases, but with strong tanks and the old five sunder rule, you’ll be fine. Even in Naxx a lock could demolish most classes on the meters. It’s all up to you and how much A-Game you can bring. If you are doing CoE for Mages and not CoShadow for yourself, then well, you will suffer greatly.

Dark Pact is actually useful when you need to survive the fire or the aura, it’s actually a very good choice. ALWAYS have corruption up for nightfall procs. ALWAYS use Curse of Shadow. These things are essential. Dark Pact stops you eating yourself and making healers heal you. They’ll like your new build but some will ask you to tap so they can pad the meter, yeah it’s a thing. lol

As for the guys saying lock sucked in PVP… or this or that… when you are very geared and have stuff on farm, you can make a stam set. With that set you can spec SM/DS and well, you become something else… I had around 13k hp fully buffed when the Dark Portal event started, I remember it very clearly. To compare, the best tank on my server had 12,800 health. With void sac I’d do so much self healing I’d pull aggro on boss fights (not even kidding) and well, you just try to kill me as a Mage with a laughable 2,800 health fully geared. Try it. I’ll wand you down and laugh my head off at you. Elements- Wand. No joke.

So there’s that you can look forward to in PVP. You truly become what everyone hated about locks in vanilla, you can easily take down 3 or 4 players without a problem, you can learn to fear juggle pretty simply and with good bindings you’ll manage to kill that mage and his friends no problem. You do rely heavily on fear and people hate fear, but you use all your dots. The more targets the better; more healing from dots and the void sac buff… it becomes insanity and well, it’s the reason why so many hated on vanilla lock. You drain and refresh dots, you never cast shadow bolts. You can’t get interrupted because all dots are instant-cast. You are rarely locked down and simply learn how to fake drain so people lose their interrupt to nothing. The real masters learned how to fakey their casts so the interrupt classes wouldn’t interrupt anything. Just roll dots and fear then drain and rinse/repeat. Deathcoil is a gap breaker, not used for healing. SM/DS has a nice flowing playstyle to it, and I’ve never had more fun than playing it. You are rarely killed by any one single class, -usually because you forgot to do one thing or another but mages, spriest, druid… -They are all a joke to an SM/DS lock.

It’s the only reason I’ll go back to play the lock.

My SM/Ruin build carried around 5400 HP and 1.4k spell power on dark portal event. Still, double that of a mage and most classes had around 3-4k HP tops. Lock Rocks, there’s really no other way to put it.

2 Likes

1.4k sp wasn’t even possible, that’s lvl 70 in t5. You literally just described BC warlock stats when geared for pvp. Either you’re trolling or are confused af.

1 Like

Yep, adding all the best +spell damage items gets you a little over 670 or 640 if you prioritize stamina. You do get warrior tank health levels though.

Most op 1v1 class in the game. But high level gear and skill is required. Hate melee? Roll as an orc soul link lock. Im willing to bet that no rogue out there would ever dare to fight a good and geared soul link orc lock. 1 stun resist is enough to get the dots out which will eventually kill the rogue, or paladins.

Literally the only weakness warlocks have in pvp is just the resists. Not much a lock can do if 99% of all shadow spells gets resisted, because that pesky druid decided to be a complete cheap degenerate and stack full shadow resist gear. All a lock has left is what, 3 fire spells out of like 20 or 30 spells total? Good luck even getting a 1.5 (plus pushbacks) second cast out if the druids running around you like a damn tornado going on.

1 Like

PvP gloves.

5/5 points in suppression.

solid class. very fun to play. Had a 39 twink warlock back in Vanilla / TBC days. Was very fun espeically on the horde side.

for 60 pvp and pve, they are unique in that they are good to start, but over time just become ever more and more powerful as SP scales ridiculously with the class.

They were just less popular back in vanilla due to the fact people just didn’t know much about the game. With hindsight, they will be very popular in comparison.

mages were good at pvp in vanilla. they did have their share of bad match ups, but they were very good against melee, especially warriors

if you are a horde mage you can count on seeing several warriors and at least one pally in every bg. frost can definitely beat hunters, there were only a few things to look out for if you were a horde mage. elemental shaman were tough but they are on your side. locks can be brutal, but heres the kicker, there were not many ally warlocks

alliance did have it worse, you had to face shaman and didnt get to face pallys which you countered. there were also more horde warlocks

1 Like

A good human warlock will ALWAYS outperform a bad gnome warlock. Choose the race you want, because that’s not going to be a determining factor in your viability.

Engineering is another issue; your guild might require you to take it up. Personally I’m going herb/alch because I’m a casual player; I might switch to engi later because I’m a PvPer and don’t intend to raid much if at all, but since I only average 5-10 hours a week I’d rather work on my income first.

1 Like

UD lock Is best. Spirit makes DS/ruin work better, and you can also now 1v1 any lock with wotf, let alone cannibalize is effectively another bandage in bg’s.

i’ve been considering unholy power/conflag, for pvp mostly. It looks like it would be a lot of fun with improved succy, improved LoP and ruin. What could possibly go wrong?

just get MD 10% more damage is better than having to use immolate.

some people just like to watch the world burn

Burst them down quick before any heals go off and you won’t NEED to worry about sustained damage!

Running around with my Imp as a little stamina boosting machine gun was a ton of fun. I did mostly BGs back in Vanilla, so this obviously isn’t the best build for raiding. I ran this build or something very similar for a long time:

https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc/warlock/25002-235-5050205102005151

With the bonus stamina only pretty geared tanks usually had more HP. The imp would be tossing out tons of firebolts and next to nobody took the time to kill him - versus the succubus that would regularly need to be resummoned in a BG. Using your Death Coil offensively makes a big difference, too. I’d usually try to get up Immolate first, then instant casts of Agony and Corruption. Then get some distance with fear if they are melee. Shadowbolt, Conflag, and Shadowburn for a quick burst. You can swap in a Immolate + Conflag after your Shadowbolt if you couldn’t get it up earlier - should land around the same time as your bolt because of travel time. And then a Shadowburn afterwards is just one more instant right afterwards - just on the GCD.

Between that quick burst window and your two DoTs and the Imp blasting away most people are dead or close to it without heals.

Conflag + Nightfall was my other favorite spec to PVP with. Something like this (point in imp firebolt can be swapped around to whatever if you never use the Imp - I loved the little dude, and no shard needed):

https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc/warlock/25202030122--5050205102005151

If you got lucky with a Nightfall proc to occur while you were hardcasting a Shadowbolt on a Feared or Charmed target (or just at range) you could 2x Shadowbolt, Conflag, Shadowburn. I think I usually pulled out a Felpup when running in this spec for the interrupt, dispel and the paranoia buff to catch rogues first.

I never really cared for being the fire warlock and dropping points into Searing Pain crits.

I don’t really remember worrying about any specific class in a 1v1. There was one specific female human warlock that was in the top raiding guild on the server. She heavily outgeared me (I think I just had the PVP gear from ranking/titles and being exalted with Defilers/Warsong/Frostwolf) and she loved to use the Succubus and Soulfire me for a ridiculous number. We were actually really friendly with each other, though. Knowing everyone on your server is definitely the thing I miss most about Vanilla. I managed to find a screenshot of both of us hanging out together:

https://imgur.com/ge1eZDl.jpg

Almost wish I hadn’t clicked on this thread. I haven’t been able to make up my mind on which class to try in Classic and had pretty much ruled out Warlock since that’s mostly what I played originally, but now this is making me want to play one again :anguished:

Apparently I can’t have links in my posts :rage:

Edit: I added a space before .com in the links above if you care to see them. :angry:

1 Like

use the ` button before and after the link and it will be fine.

1 Like

Magic.

Thank you.

Thank you.

np mah dewd.