Let’s discuss warlocks please

I hear you on that… I keep trying to convince myself to go with a rogue main (was my OG alt) because I want to see what one could do with real gear, and because wpvp is the only pvp for a long time until bgs launch with bwl (and rogue wpvp is great, lock wpvp can be frustrating with how slow we recover from dying)…

Then I get wrapped up in threads like this and/or reminded how much nuance and variety there is for vanilla lock game play and get super nostalgic to run around shadow bolt - Kamehamehaing people’s faces off again.

1 Like

Are you me?

I’ve always had a rogue as an alt over the years - sometimes maining one for an expansion. I’ve leveled several different rogues to max level - either for server changes or faction swaps. I still play two different ones today sometimes.

I was mostly convinced I was going to either roll a mage, rogue, or a warrior - but warlock is kinda creeping back into the mix now. I think I’m still leaning towards rogue just for the WPVP and doing some sneaky solo instance farming. Being DPS only is really the drawback for me because making groups sucked without LFG - which is why Warrior was an option, too.

I can’t make up my mind, but Warlock is back in as a maybe :rofl:

1 Like

No, but I am - not sure why my logged in character keeps changing.

1 Like

Well my first character in Vanilla was a Human Warlock and I absolutely loved it.

Best memories of my entire WoW history.

Looking forward to returning to those days of BWL with a slab in the esky next to my desk.

i was gonna undead lock it up but the people ive known forever are alliance only so ill be a gnome lock :frowning:.

by “Gnome Warlock” I think you mean “soulshard”, right?

1 Like

yes . i also wouldve accepted football as a response.

1 Like

Suppression does not affect enemy resist. It only affects your chance to hit. These are not the same thing! Only 3% is necessary to cap vs enemy players, which means 1.5 suppression, or 1 + 1% from gear, or 3% from gear. Any more than this is flushed right down the tube. Bosses (63) require 16% for you to cap, but suppression does not affect destruction spells. Basically, post 60, once you get 3+ hit from gear, this talent is garbage.

The resist stat reduces damage taken by spells. To counter it, you need penetration, such as on the AV ring. There’s not much of it in the game because you don’t need it for raiding. Curses already reduce enemies to 0, assuming they had any to begin with. Players don’t stack resist either. It would cripple their other stats. They typically only have what’s on their tier sets or mark of the wild. If you’re horde, you do have to contend with shadow resist auras, which you can’t remove, but as alliance, that’s not there. (another reason alliance has it easier). If you want penetration, this staff is good: https://classicdb.ch/?item=21128 Alternately, you could just hit paladins with the curse to offset the aura, but if they are a healer, you typically want tongues to slow their casts for their team.

4 Likes

suppression helps when you are leveling alot though.

Warlocks were pretty clutch in vanilla. Summoning and soul stones were amazing. Their damage wasn’t bad and they were great for leveling. They suffer from being a definitely less than caster to the mage. Mage doesn’t have a weakness I can recall.

Something most people don’t realize is that fear is in many ways like a DoT effect.

It has periodic “ticks” like a dot, that instead of doing damage, will do a roll for a “resist check”. Damage increases the likelihood of failing, but there’s also a non zero chance to just fail the check with no damage. Any “resist check” failure causes fear to break early.

Suppression, in practice, was tested during actual vanilla, and found to effectively DOUBLE the duration of fear in practice. That isn’t to say it extends the duration in any way (because it doesn’t), but it does make the spell ever more likely to last the full duration, particularly when damage is involved.

TL: DR version :
Suppression directly increases the average time your fear spell lasts and increases the amount of damage a target can take while feared before fear breaks. The results from vanilla suggested the difference was roughly double. I’d prioritize getting 3/5 to hit cap your dots, but those remaining 2 points are a moderate priority as well, and imo higher on the “to do” list than other filler alternatives like imp agony and improved drain life… Arguably imp drain soul could be in that bracket as well (its not a significant gain until drain life is a big part of your rotation over wanding, which doesn’t happen until mid 30s, and you get dark pact at 40) and CoExhaustion as well (which you don’t really need to level as your typically drain tank and want agony up)

4 Likes

Apocalypse in here dropping some great knowledge.

Also, and maybe most importantly, don’t forget that Warlocks ride in single file.

1 Like

Suppression is literally the most power 5 talent points out of any class in the game, it’s why 40’s were able to do ST in the beta.

SM/ruin isn’t that good all of your aff talents are wasted except imp drain soul,that is amazing, better than nightfall because siphon life isn’t a rotation spell. It’s giant shadow bolts with insane levels of efficiency. It says eff shadow resistance and give me healer mana regen. The build is officially ?/21/21 you can put the 9 extra points wherever but it’s best if used to get imp life tap. You can have instant corruption and suppression without drain soul it doesn’t matter. The Imp vw gives you a Demonology vw tank which is the best for solo content. The only way a lock can out dps a mage is by being more efficient. Nightfall only excels when dotting multiple targets maunualy which we know today is a fail way to aoe compared to hellfire. If you want to aoe like a mage and burst like a mage ds/ruin is the only option. Isn’t it funny the jack of all trades build has the highest dps.

best talent’s I can think of for pve non cookie cutter
Level 60 Warlock (9/21/21)

Affliction (9 points)

Suppression - Rank 5/5
Reduces the chance for enemies to resist your Affliction spells by 10%.

Improved Drain Soul - Rank 2/2
Gives you a 100% chance to get a 100% increase to your Mana regeneration for 10 sec if the target is killed by you while you drain its soul. In addition your Mana may continue to regenerate while casting at 50% of normal.

Improved Life Tap - Rank 2/2
Increases the amount of Mana awarded by your Life Tap spell by 20%.

Demonology (21 points)

Improved Healthstone - Rank 2/2
Increases the amount of Health restored by your Healthstone by 20%.

Demonic Embrace - Rank 5/5
Increases your total Stamina by 15% but reduces your total Spirit by 5%.

Improved Voidwalker - Rank 3/3
Increases the effectiveness of your Voidwalker’s Torment, Consume Shadows, Sacrifice and Suffering spells by 30%.

Fel Intellect - Rank 3/5
Increases the maximum Mana of your Imp, Voidwalker, Succubus, and Felhunter by 9%.

Fel Domination - Rank 1/1
Your next Imp, Voidwalker, Succubus, or Felhunter Summon spell has its casting time reduced by 5.5 sec and its Mana cost reduced by 50%.

Fel Stamina - Rank 4/5
Increases the maximum Health of your Imp, Voidwalker, Succubus, and Felhunter by 12%.

Master Summoner - Rank 2/2
Reduces the casting time of your Imp, Voidwalker, Succubus, and Felhunter Summoning spells by 4 sec and the Mana cost by 40%.

Demonic Sacrifice - Rank 1/1
When activated, sacrifices your summoned demon to grant you an effect that lasts 30 min. The effect is canceled if any Demon is summoned.

Imp: Increases your Fire damage by 15%.

Voidwalker: Restores 3% of total Health every 4 sec.

Succubus: Increases your Shadow damage by 15%.

Felhunter: Restores 2% of total Mana every 4 sec.

Destruction (21 points)

Improved Shadow Bolt - Rank 5/5
Your Shadow Bolt critical strikes increase Shadow damage dealt to the target by 20% until 4 non-periodic damage sources are applied. Effect lasts a maximum of 12 sec.

Cataclysm - Rank 2/5
Reduces the Mana cost of your Destruction spells by 2%.

Bane - Rank 5/5
Reduces the casting time of your Shadow Bolt and Immolate spells by 0.5 sec and your Soul Fire spell by 2 sec.

Devastation - Rank 5/5
Increases the critical strike chance of your Destruction spells by 5%.

Shadowburn - Rank 1/1
Instantly blasts the target for 87 to 100 Shadow damage. If the target dies within 5 sec of Shadowburn, and yields experience or honor, the caster gains a Soul Shard.

Destructive Reach - Rank 2/2
Increases the range of your Destruction spells by 20%.

Ruin - Rank 1/1
Increases the critical strike damage bonus of your Destruction spells by 100%.

So yesterday a dorf priest tried to gank me near bfd while I had two mobs on me.

I blew it.

When pain hit, I ignored it and finished off the first mob, then the second, then turned.

Feared the dorf. Should have been game over right there.

But I wanted to practice seduction, so I sacced and summoned. Spent time trying to find my seduction spell (at level 24).

Now I’m out of health AND mana, and the dorf wands me to death.

I apologize to warlocks everywhere.

2 Likes

Using different computers?

Happened to me a lot for that reason.

Question- how long is baseline seduction and what’s the cooldown?

Now how about with specced succubus?

Tryna learn if I’ll be able to CC humanoid dungeons if I spec towards feldom and succi before scarlet etc

Warlocks are fun in classic, and we’re always a popular class. Easy to play, hard to master. Lots and lots of bad warlocks were, and will be in Classic.

I see lots of people talking about SM/ds for raiding. In test it’s the highest single target dps build. However it’s not a perfect world and you only get so many debuffs per target, so in a raid it’s highly unlikely you’ll ever be in a guild that lets you raid as DoT spec. You’ll be limited to spamming shadowbolt over and over, and you won’t have a demon summoned. You’ll sac your demon for the shadow damage buff, and then spam shadowbolt.

In 5 mans and pvp, yeah you can go DoT spec and have a lot of fun. But not in MC.

There’ll need to be at least one warlock non-DS for blood pact, though

Yeah, I think that’s what happened to me.

lol - this is Reax, character change again