Legion Artifacts Squished Too Low

I quested to get a relic to see if adding some to the artifacts would make them usable but it increased from 20 to around 23. So in the end it’s just a waste of time, you would get more mileage just sticking with your heirlooms. Legion is not ready for Chromie questing. Instead WoD is a blast with chromie, but a little to fast (which is nice tho). The issue with WoD is that if you do it for every character you get bored and it would be nice to have some alternatives. Also a thing to note , I do not recomend doing legion if you can’t fly yet because there are some quests that assume that you can fly in older zones and it’s impossible to progress (such as trying to get an artifact in the Wyrmrest Temple) because the mobs are level 50 and you character is 12.

The relic only gave a +3???!!!

What level were you when you obtained it?

I’m pretty sure what happened to you was a bug. I just logged into a character that was 98 before the prepatch. Her artifact is ilvl 50 with 2 ilvl 46 relics.

Yeah, there’s been some bugs. Right after pre-patch and when I first came looking for this thread. I had found on some of my toons they had extremely high iLvL artifact weapons (who played actively in Legion). The highest I found was a iLvL 84 pair of daggers on my rogue. Now, I never saw this mentioned in any patch notes, but at some point Blizz did squish this, as it’s now an iLvL 70 (which is still pretty insane for a weapon that should have capped at level 45 with legion (and whatever that appropriate item level is), but Chromie time throws all this off evidently).

@Rentrina I know you were like, it starts out too low. You can see I was respondong to these people who keep saying it is “too high”. It’s like these people don’t realize you aren’t leaving legion to go to BFA now, but leaving legion to go to SL. anything 100 and down isn’t too high to go to SL. to hear that Bliz nerfed an 84 to 70s was pointless. As it is, either they already have starter SL weapons or they’re going to have to fix the problem of fresh 50s not being SL ready, because they’re too low at some point. Notice how prepatch is raining 110-115 weapons to go into Shadowlands. It’s not too high.
Even leveling in BFA you aren’t likely to hit 50 with a 110.

Artifacts gain ilvl when you put the upgrades in them. So got to do quests or farm where the item upgrades drop.

I noticed they weren’t all that strong even when you added the little widgets. I ended up just using the heirlooms weapons.

2 Likes

I’ve taken most of my leveling characters to legion at some point prior to 50 just to get the dalaran hearth and my class hall started. I always use heirlooms while I’m there, I did notice you can make the artifact outrageous with relics but most of those I only saw after I hit 50 and started farming raids and delving deeper into my class halls.

Bottom line, if you like class halls, they can wait to be done at cap. I did archdruid in less than a week from cap, for instance. I couldn’t make myself spend time in Legion even though on at least one character I was planning on doing it first and thoroughly.

Giving you a poor weapon that can be turned into a too-good weapon (but only really too late for it to matter) is a poor iteration of the design. Either way.

2 Likes

I’ve leveled several more characters through Legion since this thread started. I think there are some basic misunderstandings, and I was confused as well.

A new artifact starts at level 20. The ilvl of the relics you get will be determined by your level. At level 45 Legion gear is ilvl 50. An artifact with 3 ilvl 50 relics is ilvl 70. Relics have about a 20% chance to warforge up to ilvl 60. An artifact with 3 ilvl 60 relics is ilvl 80, and better than any weapon a leveler will get in BfA content.

Best places to farm relics are normal dungeon bosses, world quests, and Argus, which can be opened at level 45. World quests on Argus give relics, also some world quests and killing any elites will give veiled argunite currency that can be used to buy relics from Thaumaturge Vashreen on the Vindicaar.

When I’m equipping a new 45 character and want to max that artifact, I do all world quests rewarding the relics I need first, all elites on Argus, and then if I have energy left I target certain dungeon bosses that can drop the relics I need. Needless to say, this will require being carried by a higher level character, which I do on another account.