Leeway and Layering

RIGHT? This irritates me way more than the actual mechanic. Whatever Wow player coined the term “leeway” for this behavior needs to reevaluate their life. What a horrendous, unhelpful, nondescriptive, arbitrary term. They should genuinely feel bad for choosing “leeway”, of all things, to name this behavior.

Why does it matter what it’s called? The fact is the “automated latency melee moving helping mechanic” is a solution to a problem that no longer exists because of better PCs and Internet.

Are you english second language? Pretty sure most people understand what leeway means in middle school.

Because 9 times out of 10, if you say “Man I hate leeway”, everyone (myself included when I first saw it mentioned) have absolutely NO idea what it’s in reference to. I read a whole post (not this one, another one) raging about it – still no clarification. Watched a video – still no clarification until halfway through the video. If you want to campaign for something, pick a name that at least vaguely conveys the concept you’re talking about.

“Man I hate that Kaflooglefloggle mechanic!”
“The what?”
“The Kaflooglefloggle mechanic! It’s the worst!”
“Are you having a stroke?”

Use some high school level marketing/advertising skills and come up with something that people can understand and want to know more about. “Leeway”, sweet jesus.

Yep I bet if you ask anyone, even an avid wow player, to describe “Leeway” their first thing is going to say “Ah yes, melee attack range variance based upon player movement! Of course! Leeway!”. No, they’re going to say “…of what? What is being given leeway?”

any person with iq above room temp would say “leeway on what?” not spaz out like this. And when the person said melee range leeway you would say “oh how bad is it?”

come on…

There ya go, you literally just proved my point. lol

Merriam-Webster’s definition is:
Leeway an allowable margin of freedom or variation [Tolerance]
The new rules allow managers greater leeway in making decisions.

If you don’t understand what a word means, you could always google something and use basic critical thinking skills, or just ask someone to clarify.

To continue the above conversation… of what?

Literally all you guys had to do, “Melee Range Leeway” infinitely better. “Leeway”… of what?

Ok i now get your point. But the melee range leeway problem still exists, so stop trying to derail the thread over nonsense.

Which is also precisely my point. You’re going to get people confused who ignore/leave the thread or reply asking what in Thrall’s name are you talking about. You’re doing your campaign a disservice.

But to get on discussion:

I can get on board with removing this behavior if it’s not classic. Meaning the argument needs to provide proof that this didn’t occur in Classic (I honestly don’t remember). I can understand why this behavior is intentional (compensating for connection quality/latency, to avoid people screaming “I WAS TOTALLY IN RANGE OF HIM. BLIZZ FIX YOUR GAME” screeches during fast moving/circling strafing PvP battles. But even then, if it’s not classic, it should be removed.

I’m fairly sure some form of melee leeway existed in original WoW, but I also certainly remember, and there are plenty of videos of pvpers being able to deadzone* warriors and hunters with a lot more precision during original WoW. Currently on beta and on the stress test, It’s almost not possible.

*Deadzoning is when you stand outside of melee range of the enemy but inside the range of charge, intercept, and auto shot.

Another good idea is explaining it in text form, as a lot of people are not going to give your youtuber views for garbage like this.

1 Like

I wanted to keep the post brief because most people tend to not read multiple paragraphs. I now realize that I should have posted a wall of text to explain things that most people wouldn’t have read. Silly me, stop nitpicking and either contribute to the discussion or go away.

Then it should remain in Classic WoW. It’s the same reason they specifically isolated Spell Batching and are mimicking that behavior in Classic WoW despite it not being a necessarily behavior for server performance anymore. The concept is to recreate what WoW played like back in 2006, including oddities like this.

If you argue to remove Melee Range Leeway, you must also argue to remove Spell Batching for the same reasons. I feel both should stay (assuming your recollection of melee range leeway existing in classic as true, which sounds reasonable).

I am fine with melee range leeway staying in the game, I’m not fine with how far the leeway extends. You can’t do things you were able to do in vanilla with leeway the way it currently exists. You can’t dead zone kite hunters or warriors because of the netcode of the legion/bfa client. Once you add leeway into the superior client, superior PCs, superior Internet of 2019 vs 2004, you get a version of leeway that extends too far.

The melee range leeway is nuts. No idea it went so far.

Assuming we can gather some proper era accurate videos or other documented proof that it’s not authentic in its range, then i’m 100% on board with this and it sounds like a more than reasonable request/call-to-action.

Timestamped era appropriate videos of examples of no leeway or shorter range leeway in vanilla:
https://youtu.be/V-NfTMU6M34?t=283 – Neilyo 2 (4 min 43 seconds)
https://youtu.be/MnKAMbZkGgw?t=686 – Corrupt Nightmare X (11 min 26 seconds)

2 Likes

As a mage, kiting a warrior is easy enough. If “leeway” gives the warrior a fighting chance, and it functioned like this in Vanilla, it should be there. Would this not also give a hunter a way to tighten up their dead zone?

Seems to me “leeway” is like spell batching - a skilled and knowledgable player can find a way to work it to their advantage now and then. I like that, adds flavor.

1 Like