Layering vs. No Layering (Post Stress-Test) - Which is Better?

i had a very similar soltuion as layering, though in my scenario, you could see the layers at the server selection and select which one you wanted to be on. so i’m not against the idea of layering. i am just a problem solver. if people are wanting the launch to feel like vanilla, login queues will do the trick lol overcrowded starting areas. cant complete quests. etc. if comfortable pop for northshire is 10 players, make sure there’s 50, then login queue the rest.

After much thought, I’m a big fan of layering and I think it’s quite brilliant.

i never fought with people over mobs. why is this a common complaint? i either asked for a group invite or i was patient and waited my turn. of course, i wasnt a hard core raider that was rushing to end game but still. most of the time, people make it harder on themselves and then ask for blizzard to fix the problem. which isnt them, obviously /s.

1 Like

Is this still an issue with people?

We about to find out - Layering hasn’t been required yet in the Beta as population has been low(even though there was a few incidents of people clearing an area, then randomly being phased into a fully untouched one and pulling like 8 mobs).

With the stresstest, we will really see if it is as problematic as people are worried it will be, or if this is a pointless hullabaloo

If there is layering in the Closed Beta, I haven’t noticed it.

World seems lively and active to me. And I see the same names running around a lot, which is a good sign.

Which is better? Layering.

You forgot gold farmers, random disconnects, lagging into mobs, warping, and getting stuck in loot position.

I enjoy the chaos. I’m not fussed about completing quests straight away. The chaos is part of the fun. It’s not like theres a rush to 60 lol. We could be 60 for 4 years for all we know. May as well take it slow and enjoy the journey.

So now that the stress test has been done. What are our feelings about layering?

Needs work.

1 Like

Okay, but why? “Needs work” isn’t very helpful. What exactly did you notice that needed work?

From some people’s reports the same issue with jumping layers unexpectedly or without changing a group, still happened.

And the login server still can’t handle the load.

Against the original topic, Layering is still the better option (once it works).

From what I understand layering was causing the server to show as offline for people not in the “main” layer. So that needs to be resolved for sure

Im chinese and I find option 1 is very offensive :joy: nah jk
I vote option2, thank you.:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Believe it or not, there are people who have advocated for exactly that.

1 Like

Except you’re missing something.

Each “layer” can handle a full “vanilla” realm population. And they only cover a continent. So Eastern Kingdoms can have 2,500 to 3,000 players on a single layer, and Kalimdor can have 2,500 to 3,000 players on a single layer as well.

At three starting zones per continent, that works out to an average of between 800 to 1,000 players per starting zone. Assuming even population distributions. Otherwise more layers get spawned for whichever one is uneven(heavily populated).

Part of the issue is that layering is kind of useless compared to sharding…

For example the pvp beta realm atm… has so many people in barrens that it’s crashing every 3-5minutes… and even before the stress test realms went up was getting 3-5 second lag spikes ~twice an hour.

What it doesn’t have, however, is 3k people in the barrens, so it will never “layer out”…

I don’t like layering as a solution in general, but it’s also only a solution for overall realm populations, and is doing absolutely nothing useful regarding the population bomb/bottlenecks that can occur naturally via quest paths.

EDIT: For clarity, my post isn’t in ANY way meant to be a vote in support of either layering or sharding… I don’t think either have a place in classic…just pointing out that layering is pretty damn worthless thus far.

1 Like

Same feelings I had before. It wasn’t in vanilla, therefore shouldn’t be in Classic.

As for the merits of the system itself… I still don’t like it. I didn’t like it in retail when they called it sharding, and I don’t like it in Classic when they call it layering.

Knowing that there are thousands of other players on another phase of existence standing right where I am is really annoying and immersion breaking.

Being invited from shard to shard, people disappearing and reappearing constantly, etc. It’s awful.

Whatever it takes to make the launch an experience which is even playable, much less enjoyable.

Anyone remember BC day? An entire servers population (minus blood elves) crammed into a single zone on a single continent. It was a disaster of lag, crashes, Q times and waiting for quest objectives to respawn.