Layer switching is the problem, not layering itself

Let me quote for you my entire post.

I did not ask them to say that it’s ban worthy. If they call it an exploit, then it’s agains the TOS. I wanted them to word it strongly to get that point across because other people wouldn’t easily make that connection.

Although I’d like to see bans, there is absolutely no way they are going to ban everyone who has exploited this. It’s too many people at this point. It’s one of those things where it is a TOS violation and Blizz themselves indicate that it is an exploit and something they are going to fix, but I don’t think we’ll be seeing bans based on their post. Although, if they wanted to hold their policy, they would be justified in banning everyone who used it, because it is indeed an exploit meant to gain an advantage over other players and that is cheating.

1 Like

I don’t think you do. Each layer is an instance of the game world. There are essentially two “game worlds” in WoW-- Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. Each instance contains a maximum number of players. Each set of layers (from both pools) belongs to a given realm. 15,000 people could be playing concurrently in EK, but with a 3k (estimation) cap on each layer, there’d be 5 layers (probably more actually) with 3,000 players in each. It would not feel like there were 15,000 active players, it would feel like there were 3,000 active players. One fifth of the true amount.

You replied to the blue who said the realms have a single digit number of layers, with most being a low single digit number, yet you confuse this with the world feeling empty?

Each layer is supposed to in effect be an entire server worth of concurrently logged in players. Layers just allow for multiple copies to exist, so that when the hype dies down, they can collapse the number of layers down to 1, with the hope that at that point you will have a full server of active players.

What about this process led you to think the servers are empty?

You also are not listing the variables that could lead to you thinking the server is empty. Do you play during off hours? Are you leveling way faster than other people, so you are in zones that most people haven’t got to yet?

My experience is that the game world is full of people most everywhere I go. But, some zones had fewer people. Westfall has tons of people, but fewer in Loch Modan.

Proclaiming your server is empty, without any detail what when and where you are, and attributing it to layers is silly.

Also silly if you think that you should be in a server with a single layer populated by 15,000 people. That’s not how layers work.

Dude, reading comprehension please. I never said layers have 15k people. I said there could be 15k people in EK, which would spread out over 5 or so EK layers. Each LAYER would have 3k.

If the low population realms have “low single digit” layers, that ostensibly means the largest full servers would likely have medium to high single digit layers. IE, 5-9.

I never said they were empty. That was your own reading comprehension fail. I said they feel empty. When you sit in a queue for hours and expect to find a similarly huge number of players, but don’t (thanks to layering), the effect is jarring.

Nobody said that. You’re either propping up straw mans because you don’t have anything better to say, or you don’t understand what is being said and/or how layering works. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the latter.

'Nuff said.

Actually, as mentioned earlier in this thread, it didn’t happen even with the pics. :slight_smile:

This is what needs to happen:

Stopped reading there as absolutely none of that is going to happen. It doesn’t matter if I think it should, it just is so far from the realm of possibility as to be a complete waste of time to read past that delusional fantasy.

I’m sorry you exist in such a way that allows you to justify to yourself that learning and enrichment is off the table.

For those of us who have integrity and a sense of morality, we will continue to charter towards the right thing being done, and in this case, it is to expose exploiters that are ruining the game.

Hear-Hear!

I recall back in the day back on Black Dragonflight when the entirety of a prog guild, Overrated, was permanently banned for using exploits to skip to the C’boy way ahead of the curve. The same thing needs to happen to the “world-firsts” now if you ask me.

Let them go back to playing on their illegal overtuned private server.

Ok. Again, a layer represents an instance of a server yes? As in, the max number of players on a single layer represents what would be the max number of players if there was no layering.

You responded to a blue that said realms are in the single digit number of layers, with most in the low single digits. That means that with layering on, there are more people on a server concurrently than would fit without layering on.

It doesn’t matter if there are 2 layers, or 9, since you can only be on 1 layer at a time. And that one layer represents (at most) a full servers worth of people. Therefore, your experience on that layer should be that of being on a full server with no layers.

I don’t know why you feel your server is empty, but it isn’t due to layering.

Again, have you leveled faster than other people on your server? Are you in ‘less popular’ zones?

Are you in a city and expecting everyone to be afk like on retail? Most people are out and about doing things 1 week after launch.

What are you doing and where are you, and at what times?

Thats not how /who works.

/who has a cap on the players in the list. I don’t remember the exact one. But lets say it’s 30. Now let’s say there are 100 people in the zone. If both of you /who for the zone. You have a greater than 70% chance not to have each other on your list.

So the odds are higher that neither one of you will show up.

If you keep doing it the odds don’t change. It’s a 70% chance that you will not see each other or to put it another way.

You have a 30% chance to see your friend on the /who.

This is incorrect as blizzard has stated. A layer has nothing to do with a server size.

The server size is separate from the layer.

Lets me explain it simply.

1. Let’s assume a single server is 50,000. That cap doesn’t increase per layer. It is fixed at that number.
  2. Layers simply spread the players into separate instances of the server to reduce stress on the server.

Eg. You could have 3 layers of

Server a at 18000
Server b at 15000
Server c at 7000

The actual server cap doesnt increase. This is also why we have seever queues.

That 50000 servet cap represents what the server will hold after layers are removed.

This was explained already by the devs.

Reality is a thing, just saying. Acting like it isn’t gets you nowhere.

Nobody said that?

Looks like you said the world feels so empty.

I’m home now and I’m going to have fun in game. Not interested in arguing with you.

Have a good night.

it has a cap of 50 people… there was like 7 people my who list and my friend wasnt on it. he had completely different people on his compared to mine. i know exactly how who list works :slight_smile:

Yes, because people have been doing the same in retail since Cata without people having massive problems with. The major problem back then was people on PVP realms took advantage of it to high themselves from people that would jump on a main to engage to POS that would go run and hide in another layer. At best you have a few months to endure this problem on Classic while the numbers of people either spread out or dwindle from the ranks of playing Classic.

Oh my God, yes, please just disappear. It’s literally like talking to a brick wall.

1 Like

and no changers aren’t the only ones blowing stuff out of proportion. look at all the people who said no one would play hybrids unless they changed them. oh look. hybrids are literally everywhere.

bold of you to assume that even a quarter of the people playing hybrids frequent the forums to see how garbage they were.

It’s a little to late, are you actually serious right now???

TONS of gold being made per hour RIGHT NOW…

A top streamer was literally streaming the “Cueros Treasure quest”… I think is what it was called. They would activate it, kill all the mobs then pick up the key that opens into loot then change layers and do it again over and over.

3 Likes

Wild statement with no evidence to hack it up.