Layer Jumping Disclaimer

I would not do that.

It is too obvious that it is something they can’t let go, even though layering eventually ends. As in your case, everyone will just start doing it unless they make examples out of people.

Accidental gain is different from you doing it to farm gold, or something. I’d be very careful. At some point some clever guy at Blizzard might say, “oh yeah, I can do a script that just takes that ill gotten gain from them, so there is no need for a rollback…”

The weirdest thing is, they let that thing go after the beta. How did they not know?

Did they know that he exploited layer hopping at the time they congratulated him? Or did a social media person just rush to congratulate the first 60 to be part of the hype? I doubt they began inspecting footage prior to offering congratulations. You can’t use that as them explicitly endorsing the practice.

1 Like

They’d have to, I’d think. It was just way too fast.

But at this point with everyone understanding the mechanics of layering, its a tool we can use and people do use. Look in any chat for more then 5 mins and you’ll see a handful of request for layer invites.

And what do they determine as “ill gotten gains”? Jokerd had 400+ gold when he hit level 60.

He had over a quarter million people watching him hit level 60. I’m sure someone there was well aware of what he was doing.

Anyone who thinks Blizzard, on the release of a very successful, heralded even, launch of Classic is going to allow players to teleport around and farm mats and nodes all day using 3rd party addons without repercussion.

Farming nodes/mats/spawns using a millisecond-based layer teleporter addon is an abuse of a mechanic that was not intended and therefore an exploit.

This can’t possibly be under debate.

You aren’t abusing anything. Every player has access and they aren’t doing anything to get around the mechanic. It simply exists. If there was a cooldown and people were getting around it that would be different

#MyClassic

1 Like

You’re telling me they just have some random Joe in there that has no presence of mind in whats going around in their job capacity? “Oh look a guy hit 60, gratz”.

There were huge events for this. They knew.

My bet is that before 5 p.m. Friday, California time, they’ll issue a bunch of bans for people abusing layering to farm nodes. And they’ll make a statement about it.

I don’t think there will be bans for use of layering to get mob respawns for leveling. If they were going to punish that they would’ve done so already. But I could be wrong.

1 Like

gee I wonder why it’s mages who defend layer hoping

The xp rollbacks wouldn’t be too terrible. Just makes people relevel and everything is Gucci. The nodes and stuff need fixed. Having years supplies of Black Lotus and Arcane Crystals does seem a bit unfair to everyone else when they think they strike the motherload and loot 1 Black Lotus to only have it worth Vendor price because of the saturated market.

I don’t defend it. I don’t like it. But if I don’t do it, I’ll be the level 40 w/ 10g w/ no mount and not the layer jumping dude w/ 150g and a mount.

1 Like

That’s hypocritical as hell lol

#MyClassic

Well maybe.

But when it was just leveling it wasn’t directly affecting anyone else. If in fact it’s going to have a major impact on the economy (which I don’t know if it is or not, but some people think it is), that affects everybody.

Historically they’ve been way more aggressive about punishing players for things that affect the economy.

Well, here is Blizzard’s response:

They just posted this in another thread.

1 Like

This is all I wanted from Blizz. I just wonder if they’ll do anything about the people who have successfully layer abused.

1 Like

I don’t know, I guess time will tell. It does seem they confirm that people doing this is an exploit though because they say “we’re working on deploying some additional controls to further restrain layering from being exploitable.

I think anyone who exploited it should have anything they gained while doing it taken away personally. Surely a person should know that that isn’t normal gameplay.

2 Likes

I think the most reassuring part is knowing people aren’t worlds ahead of us from doing it. My disclaimer now is I don’t need/want to layer jump. I was only trying to protect myself if they deemed it okay now then later changed their minds.

2 Likes

Enjoy not really getting anything out of it.

Agree. That was really good to hear from Blizzard because after reading these forums and how bad people were saying it was, it was getting concerning. It was kind of like my worst fear of layering ruining the game I love coming true. I’m glad Blizzard has checked into this and clarified everything. It’s good to know they are continuing to monitor this.

I haven’t changed layers once since the game has launched. I don’t have world chat on because it’s usually just a lot of trolling and bickering. So I personally had not been seeing what I had saw many here saying, at least not yet. I had not saw anyone in general, trade or my guild asking to be invited to a layer.

Whether intentional or unintentional Blizzard inadvertently gave their approval of exploiting the layering system with Method and Jokerd.

If you get any kind of ban or warning, just throw that in their face.

1 Like

That guy doesn’t care. He was already banned from retail and kicked out of private servers.

Don’t use him as your model.