Layer Hopping - Please Put Limits

There are more returning/new players that could possibly try Classic over people who are playing Current.

Most of your tourists are not going to be current players.

There is also no guarantee that anyone sticks around, no matter what label we put on them.

And a success for them, makes it a success for us. If you want to lose Classic completely, focus on destroying Blizzard in every game not just WoW. That way you can prove how right you were while being forced to play on Private Servers because Blizzard closed up shop.

1 Like

So this forum’s gone from screaming #NOCHANGES! to the point of chasing away blue posters to the point of now justifying/rationalizing #changes?

LOL!

Huh?

Huh?

What are you on about?

the drama from last year. When we didn’t like Ysthiens,lol, well some of ‘we’ anyway :O)

Lol, when I suggested that everyone assured me that he was let go as part of the layoffs. Nothing to do with behavior.

no no, some people ran him and another blue off and said a bunch of crap to them on twitter, Ysthiens is ok.

Back when the classic sub forum first appeared the subject of class balance came up. A Blue showed up to say they appreciated the fact that such a discussion was happening. Said blue was immediately shouted down by a cacophony of #NOCHANCHES!!!eleventyonereee!!!

Now, in the face of actual change, the response has shifted to “How can we make this #change better?”

again, LOL!

1 Like

Given that layering is inevitable, attempting to ameliorate the issues is exactly what happened with:

• 4 Content Releases
  • Loot Trading Everywhere
  • Sharding

So, how is this somehow “different”?

As you wish. LOL! to those topic responses as well :wink:

So regardless of how they manage to do Layering, shouldn’t it really only be in the first few zones? That would make most of the economic posts pointless because as people have pointed out players will be greedy trying to level up their professions and the majority of things looted or sold will be low level.

I like the idea of having to go to an Inn or major city to change Layers and placing a CD on changing Layers. Automating the Layering system will still make it feel like Sharding so having the choice will help ease that similarity.

For something thats only suppose to last a short time they are putting in so much (what feels like) unnecessary work. If they already have the Sharding Tech use it in the starting areas and just deal with the current issues, since Sharding “will only last a few months”.

Do they really need to rework the whole system to make it so you are locked into one shard(layer)? I figure that would just need an ID attached to your account/character. (But I know nothing about this so I’m just assuming its that simple)
Oh also, what if you have two characters that get assigned to two different layers? You’d see different people on when you switched character compared to your first so… it didn’t fix the immersion of seeing the same players.

Plus I don’t really understand how a server can “Layer” itself X times and still run smoothly if its near its player cap. Because now it has to process so many more actions on each layer. Might as well just have another server… right?

One other thing that just dawned on me is that the tourists to classic will create a character and leave the game but, their character will still be there for a long, long time, just in case they ever wanted to come back and start where they left off. So how does Layering help with that, could this create dead Layers that you always have to find a group to get out of? Sounds like Sharding/Layering certain areas is the best solution to me. Not the entire world.

That would be sharding. Which this community has been shouting down so loudly and hard that they came up with an alternate that makes it less jarring.

My theory is that if Layering works, they’ll replace use it in Retail in some places too.

Its the equivalent of having multiple realms, named the same, with a unified name space so that when they merge the realms, no-one loses their name, and everyone retains the same realm identity.

Put limits? I think they should just scrap it altogether. This system is clearly blizzard being lazy and not putting in the necessary work to add multiple servers. I can understand the argument that servers die, but this is not the obvious fix to that issue.

Yup, /thread right there

If they were being lazy they’d just use sharding and ignore us.

So far I’m yet to hear a better solution than layering. “Just do like Vanilla” is planning to fail.

1 Like

They are not being lazy or ignoring us - they are being manipulative.

They announced exactly what they were doing last November, re-branded it after everyone got mad, and are hoping people will roll with it because the content is really good.

They aren’t going to implement any of your suggestions or anyone’s this late in beta and you know it. The choice is take it or leave it.

They’re still working on Layering. So there’s no reason they can’t implement at least some limitations. We’re all going to ‘take it’ but they’ve already shown that they are willing to hear out adjustments.

1 Like

I can see where Abigaiil is coming from, BFA’s Azerite armor is a good example of this. People were saying it wasn’t going to work and they better have an alternative but Blizzard didn’t listen because they were already walking down that path.

Hopefully they learned, Classics team does seem to be more active and willing to listen to player feed back. But we’ve been burned a few times, caution is understandable.

Tbh the ONLY solution I see is… there is no solution. Blizzard just has to say “without a doubt, we will 100% remove layering after 10 days.”
There are so many complications that arise from layering long term , almost as many as not having it.

The Retail Dev team wouldn’t have dialled back Loot Trading, or moved to 6 phases of content. Actions speak louder than words, and the Classic Devs have been listening. Hell Layering is that listening.