Latency is higher on Classic than Retail?

Anyone else having this issue? I play East coast on both versions.

My Latency on Classic is a solid 59-62 always no matter what I do or change.

My latency on Retail is a solid 30 always.

I have researched and dont everything I could think to try and lower my latency on classic.

Zero addons reinstall wow and latency stays the same. I have to be missing something or is it normal to have double the latency on classic vs retail?

East vs West does not determine latency.

The data center does. You can be on a west coast realm that’s in a Chicago data center.

1 Like

You’re simply connecting to two different places. Just because you connect to East Coast on both doesn’t mean you are connecting to the same place. It’s also not a problem. As someone who works in IT, seeing someone complain about a 30ms difference in latency makes me cringe.

3 Likes

The normal latency on my original Classic east-coast labeled server was 66-67. The normal latency on my new Classic west-coast server that I decided to restart on the other night was a constant 32-34. I’m in Phoenix, AZ. No, I didn’t restart & change servers because of that, but I did notice that difference when comparing the UI display values.

i play through my phone, i would dance an irish jig, if i could get down to 60-70 ms latency.

1 Like

It’s the Artificial Lag aka Spell Batching not ping that’s making you feel like you’re playing from the steppes of Mongolia

1 Like

Huge difference from having 20-30 and then jumping to 60 where spikes put it at 80 to 100… You work in IT and act like that isn’t a big deal for serious pvp’rs gaming…

If you were anything but a call center IT dude you would be wondering WHY there is a difference considering how warcraft servers are structured. Its not just some random lagg here and there it is the Permanent state of the latency guy.

That is because classic is more popular then retail. More are playing classic then retail. retail is dead.

1 Like

Spell batching a latency are two totally different things.

It’s on purpose for that old time feel.

The only fix is to find the data centers for each Classic realm and reroll on the realm type of your preference in the data center with the best latency.

There’s people on the classic servers. Nobody on retail servers (sorry forgot there’s many people from many servers showing up on your screen)

Really? Try coming to Alaska, I’ve never been under 150ms since launch. 60 sounds heavenly

What’s amazing to me is that even though I’m playing with 50-70ms all the time now, in 2005 I had 180ms and it still felt more responsive than classic does. They messed something up.

Fun fact… Thunderfury is actually west coast, my fault.

Second fact… ANY East coast server I join I have anywhere from 30-40 latency.

Third fact… ANY West coast server I join my Latency is 60+ Latency.

See above. Where you live as well as you ISP factors in. West coast is much laggier for me than east coast.

I am a network engineer and I don’t wonder why. I know exactly why. I told you why. You are connecting to two different places. The server you normally play on is closer to you geographically. It’s that simple.

Blizzard has servers in New York and Chicago and they are both considered “East Coast”. You live closer to one than the other. The End.

I am actually connected to the same server in classic AND retail…

So how bout you try that again?

really ? you are complaining about sub 100 ms latency ?

Anything less than 150ms is acceptable, especially with the spell batching.

I remember in vanilla my ping was 175 on my first server over a 3mb DSL connection, and in TBC i changed to horde and my ping was 270 to that server on a 10mb cable line. I had no real issues playing.

I get 19ms to my realm.

That is not true and has nothing to do with latency