Larian Studios calls out Blizzard

This is a whole bunch of questions that are kind of complicated so here goes.

1. The AAA’s need to step up. Many of them just keep crapping out what is essentially the same game with a balance patch as opposed to actually doing anything to innovate on gameplay or writing and as such we see most of the innovation from the Indy developers. Nintendo is the only one that shows any interest in innovation, but they’re very hit or miss with whether or not they can stick the landing.

2. MT are a blight, but I don’t really see an easy solution to them since they’ve been subsumed as a standard practice at this point and both revenue and development now considers them a core aspect of gameplay and profit, so removing them might very well lead to less and smaller titles.

3. “Time wasting activities” is vague to the point of being meaningless.

Frankly, the biggest problem here is that the AAA’s have had so much control over the market space for so long combined with good ol’ reagenomics encouraging them to make money above all else that the industry has largely stagnated as a result. A game like this, built by a comparatively small independant studio from belgium doing things they’d gaslit the masses into believing weren’t possible and getting such overwhelming praise has got to be terrifying to them.

3 Likes

would one notice that? which microtransactions would one point to as having made the game worse?

They can.
I just think they shouldn’t.

I am well aware that the people who buy the game does not necessarily buy the microtransactions. But every purchase of the game is an addition to the profits on top of the whale. The only way to otherwise cut the profits, is to just not buy the game in the first place.

Nope… just don’t buy it.

Was, yes.
Is, no.

Admittedly, I was weak.
Surprisingly after I kept myself from even buying Shadowlands, but I heard good things about Dragonflight and thought: “Well… guess I may as well try it out then” whelp… turns out it is still the same bad thing, now just without borrowed power.

It was a learning experience, really. I should have remembered that the people who praise Dragonflight to the skies, are the same people who played through and enjoyed Shadowlands.

1 Like

I don’t pay any attention Tweets,Twits or whatever it is from that company to begin with.

From what it sounds like other companies are trying to do is troll others companies,which isn’t surprising.

The microtransaction store got bigger throughout WOTLK, bigger still in Cataclysm, in WOD it started getting crazy, then we got WOD and the store got even bigger. Now we have gotten to the point, where we in a subscription based game, with box prices for expansions, have cosmetic armor sets in the store.

And to make matters worse, unlike FFXIV (Which I despise for the same practice), we can clearly see that none of that profit goes back into World of Warcraft.

wait… what microtransactions were there in wrath/cata?

Idk if I feel that strongly about 5th, but for those of us who grew up on 3.5 just aren’t going to he happy with the new editions lol - we were kinda spoiled imo.

That right there is the entire problem, bunch of people who’d rather devote brain power to excusing their bad product rather than improving their product. I think that quote is a genuine window as to the problem in the entire industry.

Its almost like a bunch of leftists don’t understand the concept of free market. Funny stuff. “You can ignore reality, you can’t ignore the results of ignoring reality.” -Ayn Rand.

How about a studio that (specific to blizzard and this game) stops re coloring and re purposing content (argus) from 6-8 years ago. Every bloody new zone and questline in this game after the major launch hooplah dies down is exactly argus. You care for a day or less that its there but the devs spent ‘months’ on it. That is the height of poor design.

I probably misremembered. I actually don’t think it was in wrath, but in cata.

But Tyrael’s charger was introduced in cata.

EDIT: Wait no, now I remember. It was Celestial Steed we got in WOTLK, and a couple of mini pets.

Cheese, I remember now, it all started so small.

3 Likes

I don’t think anything is going to change. More people just need to support smaller companies, until they get big enough to repeat the cycle.

1 Like

I mean, that’s a stupid thing to say regardless. That’s like saying, “Don’t expect us to put the same amount of effort into our games than them”. I mean it’s EA, so that’s a given anyways. lmao

To be fair the video game industry has been lacking good titles. Maybe the thirst for new games is really high

1 Like

That’s what happens when you treat your subscribers like your own personal ant farm, and you treat the goodwill built by former employees of blizz, as if it were a commodity.

Didn’t blizz realize that ill will in one game taints everything you do? No one believes blizz anymore. They are well-known spin masters, and what they say and what they do are 2 very different things.

no one will be talking about baldurs gate 3 in like 2-3 months.
Same with New world and what was that game again? Lost Ark?

Anyway…

I forgot my Steam password :crazy_face: :popcorn: Oops nvm. It’s 12345 :coffee:

Modding in Skyrim is IMHO a horrible problem. Not because people are doing it with their game or because it’s difficult or because of NSFW content but rather because it makes it almost impossible to have a legitimate discussion about the game’s qualities without people throwing out “BUT HAVE YOU TRIED MOD n!!!111!!!” like a terrified octopus trying to escape a moray eel.

Because when you look at skyrim on it’s own merits it is incredibly, blindingly mid.

1 Like

Eyup.
I have always looked at skyrim as being good for just two playthroughs, and perhaps a single playthrough of Dawnguard and Dragonborn.

The combat is just plain bad, the story is not really impressive nor incredibly bad, the dungeon crawling aspect is mostly bad with a few cool dungeons here and there. Where BGS games excel without mods is the type of Open World which I feel most other game studios really have trouble replicating. Even games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Witcher 3, despite being fairly open worlds, seems to still feel closed off compared to a BGS game.

Skyrim, I usually say, is worth at most four playthroughs. That is about 120 hours worth, where most single player titles usually have around 60 hour worth of content.

Skyrim only hits 1000+ hours due to mods, and honestly, that in itself is a strength of BGS games I feel. Because if it was so easy to give players the tools to just easily make and insert their own content into the game, then more studios would have done it.

1 Like

BG3 sounds like a good game but every time I watch any combat gameplay, I’m bored very quickly. I don’t have an issue with turn based games but it just looks so…meh.

I don’t think this is necessarily a fair statement. I think much more often than not the average gamer falls into the “I’d rather it take longer to make, but be a better game” catagory.

Most gamers don’t want rushed games. It’s the bean counters trying to bolster a 4th quarter or whatever that pressure studios to release early, not gamers!

Exactly. Civ 1 came out in 1992 I believe, and we are still waiting for Civ 7. So, 6 iterations in 31 years, without any large gaps. 5 years is fine.

2 Likes