Larian Studios calls out Blizzard

Early access iirc was about three? Years.

More than DOS2, but not six years. It’s only been in my library for about three and I preordered that sucker as soon as EA went live.

2 Likes

OP, link your source please.

This maybe?

https://twitter.com/WritNelson/status/1677632079792668673

Good, idk why these insanely large companies are pretending they are struggling.

2 Likes

I know this is derivative, but a sore spot with me. I expected EA to manage a company like Westwood and instead it just shut it down and deleted the IP‘s.

Couldn’t be bothered to maintain the high quality that came with it.

:dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean:

1 Like

No they won’t.

They will be playing BG3 all month, and then those that aren’t inclined to play it more than once will be moving straight into Starfield.

Guild Wars 2 says hello.

I get your point, but it has been done.

1 Like

I’d love to see wow with the amount of detail bauldurs gate has.

I love the non turn based actin you get in wow.
That being said, bauldurs choice based story and the directions it can take you is great, graphics are awesome. The depth of has is great. However, turn base sucks. I’ve always hated it. If bauldurs gate ever adopted wows play style where the had cool downs instead of turn base it would destroy blizzard. Don’t get me wrong, wow has depth and it’s own style and I love it, but it does require you to group with others and reply on players that are often toxic and ruin the game for some who aren’t hardcore. They are storage games both great but they could learn from each other to make a better game all together.

Argus was just Timeless Isle anyways. Very pretty TI, but just TI.

I mean they don’t have to reboot. They could work on the engine to improve the games visuals and do an overhaul of whatever to make the game even better and capable of handling more (vastly improved tech and new powerful content creating tools to state of the art). It would up the PC requirements though, but it probably is needed at this point again to give the game more visual umph.

They could do a massive world revamp again, remove major underused capitals and prior systems still lingering around taking up space. Do visual overhauls for raids and dungeons, character xmog/gear tech and who knows what else. They could upgrade their servers if they haven’t in years as well. And they seem to be in the slow process of revamping all classes with the new talent trees and refreshing some of them.

So I mean they don’t technically have to do a WoW 2.0 as they could just do a drastic overhaul of the entire game to update everything that needs updating. They could do so much including housing it’s just about money and justifying the cost of it all so they can report better quarterlies (which hopefully won’t matter much at all when MS buys out Actiblizz and they have no stock any longer).

Revamping this game vs building a WoW 2.0 would likely also be MUCH MUCH cheaper lol. It could also make the game much less clunkier to remove a lot of excess content and push the achievements to legacy for them (and move some to caverns of time).

I Blizzard’s very limited defense, they aren’t simply up against one very good game, they’re up against Dungeons and Dragons, which has always been a powerfully engaging concept even before it was ever a video game or series of games.

Talk about your disadvantaged rolls.

It’s almost as if when you put love, care, and time into something it turns out pretty good and people want to buy it.

I bought BG3 on impulse when it released. I had no interest in it beforehand. I watched somebody play it on twitch for 30 minutes and was sold, and it’s been pretty much all of what I’ve been doing in my free time since then.

It’s scratching the itch i’ve been having since Dragon Age. Hopefully EA learns something from this before Dreadwolf comes out of alpha, like they did when they backpedaled on it being a live service game.

2 Likes

It’s EA, there’s a very good chance it just ends up being Dragon Age 2 with different colored brown caves/maps used 1000x again. Or the rare item farming simulator that DA:I was. DA:O and the expansion was still the best of the games by a country mile.

1 Like

RiP BioWare. Origins was great.

2 Likes

Old Blizzard used to have a different work ethic. They’d never release until the polish was polished. Something like Overwatch or Reforged would have never happened.

They also took bigger risks. Now, it’s play it safe. Do minimalist effort for max profit.

:ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon:

3 Likes

TBH i did not mind DA2 reusing environments a lot, what i did mind was that Act 3 was cut ridiculously short (there’s like 2 quests and then the finale) and that Orsino was made from an optional fight to a non-optional fight. The story was still pretty good.

Though, i would have enjoyed DAI a lot more if i did not need to grind for 80 hours just to not be underpowered for the expansions. My first go through i didn’t do all the side zones, didn’t kill the high dragons, and didn’t farm up the most expensive crafting materials to make a full set of ridiculous gear and weapons, and it was rough. Rough after switching to easy and also playing a knight enchanter for my mage, the tankiest spec in the game.

Game suffered from coming out in the era of “every game needs to be on the scope of skyrim” and the devs wanted you to see all of it. Also they gave you a lot of earth shattering revelations and didn’t give you very much to do with it.

(When i play DAI now i download mods that let me buy all the crafting materials i want on the cheap and just craft myself giga gear early on to speed things up. Still takes a long time to get through everything though)

1 Like

I’m not sure why people are comparing Blizzard to Larian. The closest game developer would be Bioware. Bioware created all the original DnD based PC games and also other RPG franchises.

Right on the mark. It’s the Madden of MMOs.

1 Like

they made Divinity Original Sin 2

the real anomaly is how they made that game with ~4 mill dollars in budget

dont most major game titles cost into the double digits and return half a game complete with many micro transactions, major bugs, and limited support?

if anything, it shows how many games come out of the oven too early because they want to start milking it for profits. which when they do, they realize people are not happy with half a game and drop the development of the rest of the game and thus they sell half a game with half the needed dev time and half the player base is mad they didnt get the other half and the other half play it for a bit before dropping it entirely.

and when the things are fixed, its too little too late. no amount of convincing will bring them back.

This is exactly the issue. Why innovate when people will pay for the bare minimum?

1 Like