Laptop vs desktop? Pre built vs custom?

so im kind of desperate for a new computer atm. idk why but lately my comp which i built myself and is old already is having MAJOR… issues. at first it had CPU over heating issues which i assume is what caused this next issue where my comp takes about 1-2 hours just to boot up. it’s as if i have a million programs running but when i check only like 1% cpu is being used but when i first open it then it says 100%.

not looking for anything fancy tbh i just want something i can customize/rely on for another few years. parts are kinda hard to get where i live in person so everything has to be bought online and cost of shipping isn’t cheap either. mostly just use my comp for playing WoW and browsing the internet nothing really special. problem is i tend to use it a LOT. i could be running the comp 24/7 which might be bad for laptop batteries.

had this comp since WoD i believe so what maybe 6-7 years already? i mean i already planned to build a new comp but atm with how slow this comp is i don’t think i have the patience to wait for all the parts to come in ontop of doing research as im not a pro at building this is my first pc i built and have had simple issues like DoA mobo and all that.

Did you figure out why your comp is over heating? when was the last time you cleaned it out from all the dust/dirt/pet hair/dander

Do you smoke cigs near your computer? that will kill it right there.

If you don’t clean it regularly the cooling performance is hindered until you start throttling and overheating.

In terms of laptop over desktop, if you game mostly then desktop is the way to go.

Desktop all the way if you don’t travel. Even if you do a good desktop and cheap laptop is the way I would go. You can use the laptop remotely and play games via steam link and just have your main PC run the game. Plus with a desktop you can always upgrade a part here and there vs a laptop where you need to upgrade the whole thing.

As for your overheating. If you have already cleaned your pc it could be the thermal paste on the cpu?

1 Like

pretty sure i know why its over heating problem is its way past saving.

i was actually trying to build one for SL because of this but it came way too soon so i just pushed it over trying to just get as much out of this one.

sadly yea looks i have to resort to building. the only store that carries a decent selection here has like 3 things in stock only. i wouldn’t say decent but mediocre. other store that does sell PC parts well they dont have an online store and likely a huge selection since it’s like an internet cafe/gaming place that also sells PC parts and custom built pc’s.

Building is a bad time right now. Virtually all GPUs are gone or marked up 100%.

CPUs you are limited to previous generation at high prices. New parts are largely unavailable.

Only things that seem to remain decently priced are motherboards and storage.

RAM and PSUs have gone up.

Best bet is to find a decent pre-built that meets your needs and budget. Just not worth the hassle.

why they gone up? o.O cause of the corona virus/made in china?

i’d likely not be buying any insane parts tbh i can’t afford a very expensive PC as i don’t do much with it but play WOW and a select few games with high graphics but even that its most just WoW and browsing internet. might want to dabble in liquid cooling custom built though. also need to upgrade everything. monitor as well. mouse/keyboard still okay everything else outdated af.

covid:
regular demand is higher
supply is lower

politics:
tariffs

finance:
cryptocurrency boom

kinda figured well politics idk much about but im sure it ties in with like china related stuff since a lot of our things are made in china yet branded under another company. like anime figurines are mainly made in china but under the companies name vs the ones just knock off versions but you can kinda tell quality wise

Exactly this, I saw my favorite PSU is like 3x what I paid for (Cooler Master V1200) , looked around and found a seaonsic for decent price but shipping from China, No thanks, hard pass.

Last year, I upgraded my computer to one from CyberPowerPC, via Best Buy for $750. It handled WoW decently as is (was) out of the box. The only thing I upgraded was the CPU from a Ryzen5 to a Ryzen7. Course I did purchase additional RAM just to keep things running smoother than recommended.

Yeah, GPU’s have been on a short list when it comes to being available. It’s like as soon as any place has stock, they get sold out. CPU’s aren’t as bad, but I did have to travel over 90 minutes one way to pick mine up (via Best Buy, closest to me didn’t have the Ryzen7).

Yea even the older models that are good are sold out. I have been checking out ebay price isnt as insanr but still like 100 more then msrp. Better then others i found which are 50 to 100% msrp