Laptop or Desktop/Laptop Combo?

I’m not very experienced with computers so I thought I’d reach out here for some advice. (If you know of another place I should inquire, please let me know!)

I have a gaming desktop that could use replacing. I will be using it for gaming (in addition to WoW, I intend to use it for upcoming MMOs like New World and Ashes of Creation, but also a sprinkling of other games, such as Baldur’s Gate 3). If my use were limited to gaming, I would replace the desktop with another desktop.

However, I also need a computer for music recording. My understanding is that the demands of music recording on a computer are not as severe as gaming. But, for my setup, it is essential that it be mobile.

So, I’m weighing two options:

1. Buy a gaming laptop that I can use for gaming and music recording. I would likely put this is some sort of docking station when gaming so I can use larger monitors. I like the simplicity of this one device approach, but I have heard concerns about heat issues with gaming laptops. I am also concerned that I might be overpaying for a lot of laptop hardware that I could find more affordably in a desktop configuration.

2. Buy a gaming desktop AND a lower-end laptop that would suffice as a tool for music recording. With this option, I would buy a desktop dedicated to gaming and a separate laptop to use with music recording. I understand that music recording software is “CPU-intensive”, but I don’t know if I would need much in the way of a graphics card. Based on web searches for “best music recording laptops”, they tend to range from Surface Pro 2-in-1s (I’m a little skeptical if this can do the job) to high end gaming laptops. I’m not sure if I’d be able to justify spending the money on a separate fairly expensive gaming laptop while also buying a gaming desktop.

My budget for either option is around $2000-$2500.

I’m sorry that I’m not able to provide more information at the moment, such as specific computer options. But, I appreciate all insight from those in the know.

Thanks!

I would suggest getting a gaming desktop because they tend to last longer than laptops. Laptops tend to overheat a lot without adequate cooling because they don’t have much space (for all the hardware to fit into) for air flow unlike well designed desktops.

You have to weight the pros and cons.

You can easily replace parts in desktop if something happens but with laptops it’s a little bit more difficult.

Something like this for portability?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-14-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-1tb-ssd-moonlight-white-moonlight-white/6452913.p?skuId=6452913

Review

If you are going to be gaming on it at home more you can also look into a cooling pad for it, they can drop the temps by almost 10c.

Would still have money left over for 1-2 monitors.

I really enjoy the Lenovo Legion Laptop 5 15 FHD windows 10 works great.

I hope you’ve also found a good forum or similar for the audio side of this to ask the question to, there might be some other concerns for that that they’d know of or suggestions for things to get in your price point, or if it’s feasible in your budget.

Thanks for all replies here. I’m currently leaning towards the Razer Blade 14 with a 3070. It’s pricey. But, I hope it will last a good long while. Canadiana, it has specs very similar to the Zephyr you pointed out. I also looked at that one and it really is coming down to those two.

Thanks, Tarrok, for the heads up on the recording side. I have spoken with knowledgeable salespeople about it, and I think a gaming laptop would be able to do everything I need it to on that side.

Welp since you said mobility is essential then yeah get a laptop. Buy the most expensive one you can so they last longer