Laptop Display Settings?

Hi!

My laptop has been running fine recently until I discovered that my graphics card driver was out of date and has been for months so I went through the GeForce Now and downloaded the latest driver for it… However my display on the laptop isn’t at bright anymore as I want it to be… I’ve gone under display settings and it’s set at 100% but it looks like it’s just sitting in idle mode like it hasn’t been moved around in awhile?

Any suggestions on how I can maybe fix this?
Thanks!

Make sure your power plan is on high performance and you’re plugged into the wall.

“Power plan” How do I locate that?

type “power” in the searchbar, then click power and sleep settings, then additional power settings on the right, then show additional plans, then click high performance

Nope. Same issue.

1 Like

How about in games, is it the same? Could be defaulting to integrated graphics in desktop.

Are your brightness settings in your integrated graphics also set appropriately?

I use a secondary display monitor that is working fine. Just the display on the laptop doesn’t look all that great. No matter what I drag over to it. How would I go about looking into the integrated graphics?

1 Like

I’m thinking there may be a mismatch between what the driver thinks is the brightness range of your screen and the actual brightness range of your screen. While I haven’t observed this kind of effect with GPU drivers, I have seen cases where updating audio drivers screwed up the maximum sound volume, which is a similar problem.

Does your laptop have any keys to directly control brightness? On one of my laptops adjusting brightness with a key combo changes it on the hardware level, allowing it to get brighter than the OS allows.

1 Like

Make sure the refresh rate is set appropriately on both displays. Often when you update graphics drivers it sets them to 59.9hz or something and it throws it all off. It might not sound like it matches up with brightness, but if they are not set correctly, it can make everything just look weird.

Right click on your desktop -> display settings -> advanced display settings -> drop down to monitor you want to check -> refresh rate to the native refresh

Ok it looks alive again. Thank you both for the help! One last question… Do I need HDR on or no? Is it good or bad for gaming? I enabled it.

Most displays don’t correctly display HDR even if they advertise HDR (It is usually fake HDR) so I would just leave it off. But it’s personal preference.

Ok right now it’s a bit different. Everything seems more vibrant. I’ll give it a test go for awhile and see how it works. Thank you again for taking the time.

1 Like