Lament of The Highborne 2019(Sylvanas VA)

Wish I had your level of discipline with which i can ignore the deranged, terrorist whom I’m forced by the game to support and wage war for, even though it goes against my characters’ morals and ideals.

I wonder if this is the same feeling the Garrosh supporters felt; I wasn’t around when he was going insane in MoP. XD

3 Likes

Garry never really had fans. At least not to the same degree that Sylvanas did. Whether he was sad and emo in BC, a big dumb jock in Wrath or changing personalities for each zone in Cata he never had a portrayal that really resonated with people.

Sufficed to say the number of people mourning his “lost potential” were pretty easy to drown out.

3 Likes

Garrosh had fans, but Sylvanas has worshippers who seemingly love and adore the character no matter what stupid writing befouls her characterization.

2 Likes

I like Sylvanas’s concept and potential, to me she could be so much more than she is and I wonder if that’s part of the reason she’s adored. People pick and choose her ‘better’ parts and create this image of like some undead gothic goddess who watches over her children as some black sheep matron of the Horde or something.

14 Likes

I really enjoyed this version of Lament of the Highborne. It reflects all of the facets of what the character is.
Like my Forsaken I role play on says alot “For the Dark Lady!”

2 Likes

she could be more if she had good writers, but we dont

2 Likes

I can’t ignore it. I hate what’s she’s done and become. I still have some respect for the Ranger General that defied Arthas and eventually raised a nation of outsiders to greatness, but none of
that excuses what’s she’s done. If anything it’s just sad. It may help that I don’t really play horde so I’m not forced to do her bidding. It’s hard to still like her though she’s not the same character.

3 Likes

That pretty much sums up why I USED to like her. She was a character who performed necessary evils for what could be perceived by her people as well as other members of the Horde for the greater good of her people. Even now, I still cling onto that memory as it’s the only reason I haven’t outright quit the game.

While before her evil was done out of a deep-rooted love for her people, now it’s done because she hates life and has essentially becoming one whom she’s always hated most; Arthas.

A being who’s obsessed with bringing the affliction of death to all who live. A being who cares not for those that follow her, and see’s them as disposable tools in pursuit of her goals. A being that demands mindless obedience from her followers, with no concern for their wellbeing.

Sylvanas as a character has been tainted beyond the realm of recovery, and the only way to save the character is to give her a narrative break. Eject her from the story for awhile, focus on other characters, and then bring her back later after the wounds she has inflicted have had some time to heal. She needs to go away, take a vacation to the shadowlands, just away from the forefront of the narrative for now, before her character can be further ruined by incompetent writers.

9 Likes

I agree, when I first started this game I loved Sylvanas because of that ‘image’, but now, it’s like watching a train wreck and I can’t look away.

4 Likes

Speak for yourself Garrosh was great. I had a literal dream about him the other night, still not over it.

I dreamt in Classic WoW Eitrigg was training a young version of him. Since he was a character that developed over many expansions it made sense for him to exist young in Classic to my brain I guess. Plus probably some desire to see him again.

The difference between Garrosh and Sylvanas…

• In Mists, Garrosh gets his character ruined to advance a Horde plot
  • In BFA, Horde gets ruined to advance a Sylvanas plot

@#$! Sylvanas. She has ruined the entire Horde cast including the player. Still mad they didn’t add a choice for Garrosh but years later Sylvanas is apparantly worthy of it in the writers minds.

1 Like

in your dream did he hold you tenderly and tell you everything was gonna be okay?

9 Likes

Yeah, cuz it’s us, the Horde playerbase, who the train is going to crash right into.

1 Like