Lack of roleplay [H]

Tikidali, I was on from about 1 to about 2, then had to log (while dead no less!) to help my mother bake her Christmas cookies (worthwhile endeavor.) I’m back on now and will hang around for about an hour or so to see if Quince/Qthulu comes online.

Re: the state of RP here, one of the reasons I waited as long as I have to get revved up and involved in RP was to see who all did wash back out to sea, for one reason or another. I agree with you, Maerlyn, that a lot of people still active in Retail probably went back to continue their characters’ storylines in that world, and I think we also lost people to Classic’s playstyle differences (as expected.)

I’d like to think those RPers who have gotten more involved in PvP/PvE can always be grabbed at the right moment for RP – both times I’ve hosted Happy Hour I’ve had level 60’s in raid gear show up and RP (and graciously and encouragingly tip!) I’ve also seen quite a lot of RP tooltips that say “New to WoW RP” which I find fantastic and surprising, that people would start out (or begin again) in the “Old World” and want to try roleplaying in WoW here for the first time.

Classic feels more like home to me than retail does now – I’m an oddball that I prefer all the old graphics to the new ones (my dwarf and human characters lost all personality in their faces with the new ones) and I hope other roleplayers who feel similarly are getting settled in here and beginning to actively look for RP.

What frustrates me the most is that because Bloodsail Buccaneers was a low/mid-pop server in the early days, a lot of PvE/PvPers rolled here when all the other servers were full, leaving us populated with a great deal more non-RPers than I think we would have had otherwise. It leaves RPers feeling lost at sea, separate from one another, a diluted minority among all these non-RPers. Installing TotalRP3 or MyRoleplay is a game-changer, literally. There are a lot of roleplayers and “RP-curious” people out there once you can see them, and I’ve had people without tooltips interact ICly as well.

Though I am all for RP guilds, I would love to see more activity in the /RP and /buzzbox chat channels to connect with one another beyond guild activities. Similarly, I think some weekly events would work wonders for bringing the community together. Each week at Happy Hour I’ve had people whisper their thanks to me for organizing it, and all I’m doing really is advertising for a half hour before then standing in one place roleplaying with whomever comes along (and serving drinks.) Connections happen then, big or small, and hopefully the community buoys itself up a bit more. Any kind of gathering we can manage, big or small, in one location or in IC/OOC ether, does the same.

Adding a note – I just logged off in Undercity on my Forsaken after an hour or so online, didn’t see one RP mod tooltip the whole time I was on. Atmosphere is friendly enough in chat and around people but eh, Lack of roleplay [H] at least today.

Sorry I missed you guys but I will keep an eye out when on my horde toons. Pretty painless for the undead. She can just pop it back in whenever.

1 Like

I have been very frustrated with the overall state of the game Hordeside, of late. I started the moment the server opened and during the first few days saw a deluge of snotrockets rolling here simply to avoid queues. In turn, that pushed the RPers I knew and/or met into private to avoid the trolls. Add all of the RP friendly things in Retail and we ended up losing a lot of the community quickly.

My guild, All Who Wander is open and accepting new members. It’s basically just me now, but it was started for friends and family so I don’t feel right abandoning it. I’d love some company! Add Elsinora to your list and hit me up when you see me on. Let’s build a community together.

I have odd hours during the week. But I’ll make an effort to be on more.

2 Likes

Are most of the role players here Tauren and forsaken? What about the others?

I have two super-lowbie trolls and have seen more than one person looking for troll RP and in Durotar/Orgrimmar I’ve seen quite a few trolls with RP tooltips. Orcs I’m not so sure about, which I always find ironic because they are such a major race in the lore.

I was planning on playing an orc warlock, troll priest, probably a Tauren shaman, and a Tauren warrior.

1 Like

Did this guild charter get signed? I’m willing to come on my troll mage here. Really want a good RP guild.

I had a great time leveling my dead girl but never saw Quince online. Hopefully he’ll check in sometime soon.

I certainly feel the same way as most of you do! My guild, Darkmoon Faire is primarily a roleplaying guild. We’re trying to branch out and hold more public role playing events for the server. Ultimately, we’d like to have a large Faire themed event.

I believe Monday, December 9th is a Story Telling event in Thunderbluff starting at 8:00 pm server time!

I know a lot of us in the Darkmoon Faire would like to strengthen the role playing on the server, so it’s great so see you all interested!

2 Likes

How many of you DMF folks are from the WrA guild of the same name?

Also, All Who Wander is recruiting! Get in touch with me. Let’s build a friendly, social, cooperative community.

The Horde Corps is not a rp specific guild but we have several members who like to rp and are willing to help coordinate and attend rp events. Fill free to hit either me, Tiazali, or Kaelgrim up in-game if you wanna make contact!

Mogo come visit occasionally. Mogo wear Shaman costume.

There is a lack, but I’m always out here everywhere IC.
My guild tried a halloween event but people were pretty sparse unfortunately.

OP here with an update:

Settled on my character, but I’m utterly disheartened by the lack of interest in RP by top guilds on the server even still. I see more often than not people with obscene names that clearly don’t fit the RP guidelines :/. I might just have to stick to retail for RP, which sucks because I was absolutely looking forward to RPing Old Horde stuff or w/e

If any of y’all wanna link up in game add Mogrik! I’ll still be leveling him hopefully to max.

4 Likes

Hello,
I read all the posts in this thread with more than a little trepidation. I was hoping to find a Horde side Guild that would help introduce my wife and I to Roleplaying, while still doing some questing and dungeons with Guildmembers. If such a Guild exists, please let me know. If not, I will keep an eye on this thread, if any of you decide to start such a Guild, let me know and we would be happy to sign your charter, etc.

Yours,

Hayk

I see lots of RP events and guilds looking for more RP members on the Horde side. If you’re not already aware, join /LookingForGroup. It is a server-wide LFG (for all types of LFG) and most of the RP recruitment (other than main city channels) is done there.

2 Likes

Maerlyn is very nice and you should definitely join their guild if you’re looking for some actual Forsaken RP.

Mostly you will have to look for it. I know of a few guilds that are RP focused. Reach out and invite people to join in on events. I don’t really see many events in any chats being advertised. A lot of us that focus on pve/pvp would join in on the fun but just don’t know about it. I rolled on this server wanting a nicer community and to check out the RP life, but I was only ever interested in it very casually, and I wanted to get into raiding and do some pvp. But I definitely would attend events if you don’t mind someone super casual. The last event I even saw advertised was for Halloween, but I didn’t see it advertised often and didn’t remember the approximate date for it. I did however see a small “wedding” in Org the other day, and gave them each a gift of 1g, so there’s that.

2 Likes

Maerlyn is awesome. I know them from a guild we were in on WrA =).

I haven’t had time to get Hordeside lately but have been following this thread, and wanted to thank you for this in particular. I’ve been posting my event here and on the discords but what has brought people in has been mentioning it in channels a half hour or so before and while it’s ongoing. But having read this here, I’ve redoubled my efforts and I’m now doing a quick mention in whatever zone I’m in whenever I’m playing, because wow, yes, you never know when there is a roleplayer or RP-curious person out there just not knowing if or when anything is going on.

I see “ads” for guilds/raid groups/mages selling water, etc. etc. in the chat channels all the time, no big deal. I have had a hesitance about advertising RP events likewise – I don’t know about anyone else but even on this One RP-PVE server it’s still like… can we really RP here? Is there room for us, too? But EVERY TIME I have promoted an event in the channels I’ve eventually gotten a whisper asking further info or a thank you.

I know it’s not Horde-specific but I wanted to add that note of encouragement to advertise events in the chat as much as possible. In the month or so I’ve been doing it now I have had exactly 0 griefers take advantage of the invitation.

2 Likes