Knowledge points *NEED* to be reset-able

This new profession system is such a massive change to the game, and most of it is great -but to put so much of the crafting professions behind these arduous and lengthy time gates - renown, RNG world drops, etc. - AND to make it so you can’t respec or reset your knowledge points just ruins the whole thing. I made some decisions for my main professions without fully understanding how long these grinds would take. And now I’m stuck with what feels like literal months of time before I’ll be able to actually use my professions effectively - or at least in a much more interesting way than currently. What is the logic behind making so many changes to the game to allow more flexiibility - such as the talent trees and being able to respec whenever you want without some arbitrary tome or having to go to town (THIS is awesome, by the way) - and then making this core game feature of professions such a terrible experience? I just don’t get it. I can’t even make rare stat gems with jewelcrafting because I didn’t realize by going down the jewelery tree I wouldn’t even get access to those recipes. My mistake - sure - but I didn’t really think I needed a masters degree in wow professions to make what I thought was fun choices. And engineering - I was focused on making the helmets, but never imagined I’d be something like 80 knowledge points away from being able to make the battle rez item. What you’ve done is make professions a total pain in the butt and for people like me that greatly regret the choices they made - completely sour to the entire system. What is the harm in just letting us reset our knowledge points if we change our minds?

16 Likes

Lets take tailoring as an example:
1- put all points into gathering extra cloth, then go farm cloth
2- reset points, put all points into unravelling, unravel all cloth
3- reset points, put all points into threads, make a bunch of thread
4- reset points, put all points into weaving, make cloth
5- reset points, put all points into specialty cloth weaving, craft the specialty cloth CD
6- reset points, put all points into the other specialty cloth, craft that specialty cloth CD
7- reset points, put all points into crafting a specific slot, make stuff for that slot
8- rinse and repeat

If resets were trivial, then you’d have people complaining about the spec-switching “required” to get the most out of their professions.

You can still achieve more or less the same result by deep-speccing into specific things on different characters with the same profs, at the expense of having to mail stuff between alts, grind points, reps and levels on each.

2 Likes

Was just going to make a similar thread but I’m sure there are already thousands of them. When I started enchanting this expansion, I didn’t really understand the new system (totally my fault, I know), and spent too many points in random trees just trying to earn recipes because I was in the “I need to get 100/100 enchanting asap” mindset from previous expansions. Didn’t understand the R1/R2/R3 system, and well, now my enchanting is useless and everyhting is pretty much stuck on R1.

We should get a free, ONE TIME reset.

9 Likes

I agree with Benzoh as I did not deep-spec not realizing the limitations and no re-spec and I’m suffering now because of it, having a one time spec or a massive gold fee would be acceptable

4 Likes

The problem is that we got all these points so fast at the beginning, without knowing that they would become sparser in time, so we made plans to go first one way then another, and yeah, if we got the rest of the points at the same pace, we were perfectly ok with that, it just meant we would have to give the system a couple more weeks.

But then we ran out of 1-time knowledge treasures (that we didn’t know were 1 time). Then we didn’t get profession quests every week (alchemy is one example of it).
Then we farmed what we thought would give us knowledge points and didn’t get them, because of nerfs.

So the system is like covenants 2.0, you don’t get all the information unless you spend a day in wowhead or weeks in the beta, and you’re if you make the wrong choice with the little information you have. They reverted this in SL, why on Earth would they bring up something like this again?

As a solution, a reset system for professions doesn’t have to be free like the talents, it could be something more like the azerite reforging system from BFA, where resets were more expensive every time you used one, or just a one time reset when you reach a certain milestone, such as a specific renown level from a specific faction, or a certain progress on the campaign, or a certain skill level on your profession, whatever.

Or maybe, maybe they could make an effort explain better how we will be able to acquire knowledge points and how long will it take to earn them.

One step could be to make the requirements to learn the recipes more visible. Right now, you have to click on each recipe and mouse over the Info button to even read where you can get these, so it’s pretty much given that you’ll miss that in order to craft Frost Potions you need to spec into decayology, or that in order to craft Optional Reagents for Engineering, you need to spec into Function Over form > Gears for Gears.

8 Likes

I think having a reset kind of destroys server identity though. It becomes trivial for someone to switch specs and take on the market that they didn’t anticipate when they first picked a spec. Even with a one time reset this can be a problem if the reset is available early. I think if any reset is given, it should happen at the start of a new season when everything in the economy is new again and people are regearing. That way you don’t just squash the person that put in all the effort to be the “sword” person or the “bow” person on their server.

The nice thing about the current system is it gives you more knowledge points every week (10-15 more each week), so if you make a mistake, you can correct it and aren’t stuck forever. I mistakenly spent my points wrong early, but in a couple of weeks I was able to fix it.

1 Like

No resets please. KPs are fine how they are.

They should allow a one time reset (or once a season or whatever) and do it soon, like real soon, before people either get their alts up to speed or just give up on the professions altogether.

The problem is that in order to be simply functional in a given profession, one had to correctly guess a) which item/consumable will be in demand to begin with, b) how to spec into it properly in a non-intuitive system full of traps, c) how accessible recipes will be, and d) the effect of all the profession “cheese” Blizzard took its sweet time to patch out.

Get even one of these wrong and it can take anything from weeks to months to fix with our new rigid allocation of KPs and there isn’t even a point to opening the profession book until then.

Didn’t guess that inspiration is the way? Wait a few weeks until you can max it out. Lost the great Lariat lottery? Too bad. Did everything right, except a week late, and now your 2 - 3 rank crafts are simply not competitive with those who cycled the professions, dug the dirt for loads of mettle and KP while they could and have all blue gear? Whoopsie. Thought the public order system will be functional so you can just stop by the crafting tables and do a few orders here and there? Better luck next time! Yeah, sorry, this isn’t going well for the much advertised “4th pillar”.

7 Likes

Rewriting since I broke CoC by including a potty mouth expression and it was locked. I apologize.

1 Like

If you made choices based on what you thought would be fun/cool/interesting, then you are playing in a fashion that Blizzard does not approve of and they have designed their system to punish you. Crafting is not a system for casual players. It is only for the elite on a few chosen servers. Blizzard has designed this system to ensure that. If this design is not on purpose then it is so painfully incompetent as to border on willful negligence.

4 Likes

Says the guy that is making millions of gold because he deep spec’d

they will allow people to reset once its no longer necessary. then say “see we hear you”

you heard it here first

3 Likes

You can implement resets in a way to not make it trivial. Having it costs knowledge points and having a long cooldown is one example.

Regardless, resets should have been implemented into the game from the start. This is the covenant system all over again, except this time it ruins a core part of the game.

3 Likes

Reset, more tooltips and an actual tutorial would do wonders for people. I’ve spent hundreds of hours with this system and Im still learning something new and hidden.

For example, on every roll there’s a hidden 0-10 bonus skill roll that’s not related to inspiration at all. Explains the random upgrades when you’re a few ticks away but why wasn’t this explained at all? sigh

1 Like

We can have resets without having them be trivial. Just put a cooldown on the knowledge reset, or make it not refund 100% of your knowledge points or something. Boom problem solved.

1 Like

There really does need to be a one time reset available. Or an every 2-3 month 100k gold reset option.

There 100% needs to be but blizzard doesn’t give a F and won’t because they cater to their 1% of elite players, the rest of you can eat cake with your wow tokens. I literally have almost no desire to play this game anymore because my professions are so F’d and there’s nothing I can do it. I’ll be able to make rank 3 enchants in like 6 months guys!!! HELL YEAH

1 Like

One toon, two professions, access to all.

If you really think people should have two and three toons with the same profession, you need professional help my friend.

Just one reset would be nice. Or have it be expensive.

1 Like

In about a year, when a patch would happen that allows for a reset, many will already be aces of all trades anyways if they do their weeklies and farm their Wheaties each week.