Kill the layers now and it'll fix your stupid server tranfers :p

Duuude. No. That’s not at all even close to the reason for layering.

Layering was introduced as a way to over populate the realms, because there’s an expected drop off of population.

Blizz wants happy and healthy realms during P2 and beyond, when there’s no layers. That is why layering was implemented.

1 Like

I need to go searching, but I think it was in the AMA.

The layering was done for both reasons, to ensure healthy server populations down the line, and also to alleviate bottlenecks of hundreds of people in areas trying to do stuff.

1 Like

I’ve been reading about layering since before Blizz officially announced it.

It is there just to overstock the realms, for the expected drop off.
They wanted to over stock without trashing the Vanilla experience by increasing caps to 10k in a single world.
Layering was made to make the world still feel Vanilla, while having a buffer for the expected drop off.

1 Like

they also said that when world bosses are live, only 1 world per realm.

Third paragraph down, post by blizzard themselves, when they turn layering off, if something isn’t done about unhealthily overpopulated servers, the queues will skyrocket. Now I have cited a source on why when layering is turned off queues will go up, do you have any proof or citations to say otherwise?

so question for you. how do you do 1 world boss per server, if said server has 5 layers?

i posted that ages ago. here let me link the post.[quote=“Holymirax-ashkandi, post:67, topic:296965, full:true”]

except you are. even blizzard said that they expect extreme queues when layering is removed.

i even bolded it for you.
[/quote]

see?

2 Likes

Why can’t you simply answer the question?
Are server caps (combined layers) are at vanilla-like levels?

• YES
  • NO

I already did.

except that blue post literally disagrees with you. he literally said “server queues will be severe when we remove layering”.
the only way that is possible is if removing layering also reduces the number of people allowed on the server at one time.

You edited it into a comment I already responded to. Good job.

No. I don’t see. I stand firm that we’re arguing semantics. I can read what you’ve linked plain as day, but that doesn’t negate what I’ve been trying to say.

If I have a 12" pizza, and I cut it into 8 slices, then I have 8 slices of a 12" pizza. If I take that same 12" pizza and cut it into 6 slices, I now only have 6 slices of pizza. The only difference is each individual slice is larger, but the pizza as a whole is still the same size.

That’s the best way I can think of trying to get across what I’m trying to say.

and i posted it again further down without editting it in. well before the post you responded too.

holy cow you are dense dude, removing layering ups the queues, they literally said it. THEY SAID IT

It’s Not layers you bloody moron the game is growing, more players = more queues.

so let me ask you this.
if layering is not linked to how many people can be in game.
how come when layering is removed, blizzard expects severe queues?

So?

/10char

so you would have seen it the 2nd time, which was still well before the post you said was the first you saw it.

No, you clearly did not. I asked you about total realm caps, you made a flippant remarks about layer sizes.

Once more for good measure:

Do you believe server caps (combined layers) are at vanilla-like levels?

• YES
  • NO

Likely because they will reduce the maximum number of players allowed on a single server/realm.

That’s entirely possible, but it’s two separate things, and it’s not what the OP was about. That’s my entire argument.