Keycloning software clarification

There are ways to stop this. EQ started something called TRUEBOX servers that would only allow 1 account to play on that server at a time.

There were ways around if you really tried, but it stopped the easy stuff. They also can check logs if there are complaints, but they will not.
They are NOT going after multiboxers, they want better who use the same software. Its why they issued the clarification statement

You may want to clarify on the how here. If you are using hardware or software to mirror this input across more than one instance of WOW, I would think you aren’t safe or excluded from action. If you switch to the second instance and put in the commands there and only for that instance I would think you are ok. In short someone has to be manually at the helm, can’t use one instance to helm other instances. My 10 Cents on this.

1 Like

The program isn’t free… You have to pay a sub for it

They already clarified. They only care about SW ckeycloning NOT multi boxing.

Using VMs or KVMs is ok. Also good are multiple systems with a few number pads so you can press the 5 buttons you need to effectively herb farm. Just press across 4 extra number pads. Maybe 2 extra seconds per node?

VMs are still software. If you use them to duplicate inputs, you’re liable to get in trouble if you get caught.

IMO, something in need of clarification is keystroke forwarding software. E,g ,but not limited to, Consortium Key Sender (CKS). You have WoW and this software running. So you are in twitch, YT, Netflix, ****hub; when you press a key/mouse scroll that key is forwarded to your Wow account so you can repetitively mill, d/e, craft, etc.
Most users of it say it is perfectly legal and will remain so since the ban talks about forwarding keys to multiple WoW instances and this is just forwarding to a single instance.
I am not sure if I have a policy preference and especially in these contentious times don’t want to argue about it. But I do think now would be an excellent time for Bliz to be clear if software key forwarding to a single WoW instance is within ToS

1 Like

Try it if they give you warning then you know to stop or get the ban hammer.

1 Like

And? Its easier to buy something with PayPal than having to order something online and setting something physically up. I’m not wrong, the population will be lower because of this barrier.

You don’t need to VM to run more than one WoW instance. And VM are not automated, they are virtual instances of a computer. They run independent of one another, it is like having two computers side by side. You won’t get into any trouble unless you break the one rule they added, don’t use software to transmit key commands between clients.

1 Like

I doubt Blizzard will ever really clarify this going forward. They want both, as much ambiguity on their side as possible, and also to just generally discourage people from even getting into multi boxing to start with.

At this point, they seem to just want the concept to die on its own going forward.

Just because they have not mentioned hardware, I wouldn’t exclude it from being actionable. If you are automating play on more than one instance of wow and not switching to it and hitting the keys, they may take action if they catch this. The intent is to stop automation of game play/farming. Trying to find other automation methods that are not software driven but still replicating commands is a bad idea and will get you in a bind eventually. The definition of multiboxing is playing more than one account on the same system, it doesn’t imply or include replication of keystrokes or commands across all instances.

1 Like

Well the new rules in place have only guaranteed that I am going to report every multiboxer I see just in case they’re botting their keystrokes to their other characters instead of tabbing out to individually control their actions.

3 Likes

The core issue isn’t Multiboxing they straight out say Multiboxing is still legal. This change in policy was only to attack the bots that are using the same software that multiboxers use.

or the US one

same thing.

1 Like

Bingo… this is their current approach.

The problem is Blizzard could not differentiate legitimate use cases from exploitative ones… say I run an Internet Cafe with multiple instances of wow in my environment from what blizzard can see from the client side it looks the same as Matthew multiboxer using it to dupe keystrokes because it would exist outside the VM (thats the entire point of virtualisation its hardware abstraction).

That said they could conceivably create a server side process to detect synchronised accounts beyond what players would otherwise be capable of if reported… but thats a big system change with a MASSIVE amount of ramifications across the entire back end architecture… not just easily writing a script for warden to be on the lookout for a few extra programs.

Are you people like congenital criminals or something, trying to bend every law to see where it breaks? lol Just play the game like a normal freaking person. wth

1 Like

You sir are the one trying to bend the law. Multiboxing is still legal it says so in their policy. People are just trying to figure out what versions are still allowed so they can continue to follow the rules while playing the way they do.

2 Likes

And exactly what “law” are they bending? Blizzard’s own support page says that mulitboxing is fine provided you do not use software to repeat key commands.

4 Likes

I bet if they ban you guys constantly making these threads, they will probably get rid of a few botters. It’s really bizarre reaction to get so upset over this.

1 Like

Their intent is clear.

If alternate means of mirroring keystrokes become popular, they could also ban them directly and probably would.

3 Likes

Part of me thinks Blizzard is planning to put out a new keyboard setup where the keypressed are connected to multiple keyboards. Ya know to maximize profits of their policy.

This message was approve by Bobby.

1 Like