Keybinds got reset and now I can't do certain things

For some odd reason I gear boosted a few older characters and when I did it reset all of my keybinds completely from scratch. It won’t let me Ctrl+left click to try ont outfits, or Shift+left click to link talents, or items in my bags. It’s getting pretty annoying but I re edited most of my keybinds but the other stuff I’m not sure why it won’t let me try on outfits or link stuff from my bags. Is there a solution to this?

Have you done a full UI reset (as detailed in Support article linked below) to rule out a misbehaving addon or corrupted UI?

Please note, this is not the same as disabling addons OR doing a /reload of your UI.

I tried that, but go no results. Still won’t let me try on outfits or link stuff in game so it’s most likely not an addon.

Have you checked the Click Casting settings to see if something odd got set there?

This is the default settings for that menu.

The stuff that isn’t working, does it work on any other characters? In other words is it just broken on the characters you boosted?

1 Like

It affected all of my characters. And the click casting isn’t set to anything else. No idea how to fix this, but my addons were reset in the process… so rip my TRP.

If you followed the directions on the support article I linked earlier, then you can undo the Full UI Reset and reclaim those settings. You would just need to delete the newly created WTF and Interface folders and remove the OLD you added to the originals (thus returning them to their original state). Cache folder doesn’t matter in this instance and won’t have an impact on your settings or addons.

1 Like

It seems you’re having issues with the modifier keys. Do they work in other programs/games on your keyboard?

Can you try keybinding a spell/something obvious to Shift and see if that does anything? Will help narrow it down to see if the problem is with the keys themselves or the standard in game function of shift+mouse click. Also maybe take a look at the keybinds in game. I’m not sure if those are typical changeable keybinds in game but make sure they weren’t removed if so.

Have you gotten a new keyboard or done any software updates on it?

If none of the above helps it may be a good idea to move this or start a new thread over in Technical Support.

1 Like

I deleted the OLD ones instead of the newly ones, so yeah… I lost my addons. It’s alright though. As for trying new stuff on any other games I haven’t checked but I can proabably check classic wow and see if that has an issue. I haven’t done anything to my keyboard or anything regarding my keybinds it just happened out of nowhere. I normally use shift to keybind my stuff, so that’s probably why. I may have to start a new thread in tech support if that’s the case.

I lost mine once and ever since then I always make a copy of my TRP files/settings that I update right before any major patch and have in their own separate folder I keep tucked away on my desktop. Well, both it and Elephant so I don’t lose the logs.

What you can do? Ask any of your RP partners or guild mates if they’ve got your profiles available in their directories. They can at least offer you screenshots of what they had been before the wipe. I just checked mine and I haven’t come across Kravax personally to be able to offer them, so I am sorry.

And dumb question too - the things you deleted? Did you already empty your recycle bin? Or could those files be there that you can restore?

2 Likes

I was able to restore them from my recycle bin thank god, but the issue with the shift+Left clicking is still there. It gets annoying because I can’t try on certain outfits or link stuff in game but… I don’t think it’s an addon issue.

1 Like

Did you try binding shift to a spell to see if triggers the spell? Just want to see if the key itself isn’t registering in game vs the shift+click toggle.

You can just do the Quick Keybind option and change an attack button on your bar to Shift and see if that works.

Edit; glad to see you were able to restore your old folders! I was going to suggest you try that to see if the files were still there.

I already have shift working for many spells and they work fine so I’m not exactly sure what gives. I’m going to try a different game see what’s up if it’s not just wow, it’s probably on my end, which I’m sure it most likely is.

1 Like

Ohh okay, you mentioned that you had it for other stuff but I misunderstood.

I’m out of trouble shooting ideas. I hope you can get it figured out or that someone in technical can help ya.

so I just tried another game and the shift+Left click to link is working so is ctrl + left click to try on outfits… so it has to be wow issue. Super strange. But hey, I appreciate you all trying to help.

1 Like
/console scriptErrors 1

See if any errors are being triggered when you try.

It could also be a CVar issue. Resetting your UI does not reset CVars that are stored server-side.

/console cvar_default

This will reset ALL your CVars to default and cannot be undone.

You can also manually modify your binding cache file; open it up in notepad or similar:

\World of Warcraft\_retail_\WTF\Account\NAME\bindings-cache.wtf