Just noticed something disappointing

I couldn’t help realize that frost-bolt is in such a pathetically weak state to the point where the tunnel of ice azerite trait when having 3 of them adds a bonus damage that is higher than the actual ability itself.A modifier when reached up-to 3 stacks doing more than 100% of the ability itself proves to me that frost-bolt needs substantial damage buffs without a modifier.In my perspective seeing a modifier do more than 100% of the ability damage has me wondering why is Blizzard having people lean towards passive modifiers to actually have some type of relevant damage, because abilities like frost-bolt need a serious adjustment due to be lackluster in the damage department.

2 Likes

Frostbolt isn’t a damage-dealer, it’s a resource-builder.

8 Likes

^ This. People need to get out of the mindset that frostbolt is supposed to kill things. GS and IL kill things, FB just lets you do them. If you want your main spell to do damage, play arcane.

I also realize that frostbolt is just a filler/ramp up to GS or whatever you’re waiting for to come off cooldown, but it really could use a little something more.

I guess until, or if they ever, decide that damage should exist outside talent trees, this will be how damage is allocated.

Ah well, new abilities next expansion should brighten things up a little.

1 Like

Got some really bad news for you then…

2 Likes

Increasing Frostbolts damage will just make the spec worse. The best build is already just mindlessly spamming one spell until GS is ready and you have a BF. Increasing Frostbolt would just push that further to the lead, while making IL and other procs obsolete. They buffed IL to try and do the exact opposite of that, and I’d rather not devolve into a 2-button spec.

If anything, they should reduce Frostbolts damage further, while increasing the proc rate on IL/BF and compensating GS.

3 Likes

I completely disagree, and I disagree with the stance you’re taking about how the damage should be used.If anything, I think that they should reduce the GS damage ability itself a bit and buff frostbolt damage to compensate for the lost of GS damage and because of frostbolts doing more damage that’ll allow GS to either be at the same rate of damage it already is or even better than how it is now while simultaneously buffing frostbolt directly and indirectly buffing GS.

Perhaps we have different perspectives of how we believe frost mage damage should be played, because I dislike the ramp up style of damage and procs as the spec’s main source of damage.I’ve been playing Mage since 2005 and its a roller coaster that once kept going up (in a positive way) and has only went down for many years now (in a negative way) consistently becoming less appealing to play.

4 Likes

No, you’re disagreeing with how Blizzard believes the damage should be used. No one here is really talking about what should be, just what is.

Again, this is how Blizzard thinks it should be, not necessarily the mage community. If you dislike ramp up, play fire or arcane. But for now, frost is what it is and it looks to stay that way in SL.

Frost needs a Brain Freeze bad-luck implementation system.

This will fix Frost in many factors. I cannot tell you how many Frostbolt streaks I had without a Flurry proc. There is no bad-luck protection… and, it sucks that FB is a filler/resource spell. It’s definitely FeelsBadMan.

1 Like

Try the Orb build, it’s simming higher than noIL currently and is better than Spike for dungeons atm for me.

Just a general statement for those above who think they’re locked into the current Glacial Spike build only.

1 Like

I do think that OP is gonna have a bad time, because Fire and Arcane are even worse in that aspect, as ALL their damage is locked into their cooldowns. Their damage outside of it suck donkey balls;

:man_shrugging:

They do. It’s called Ebonbolt :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t emphasize this enough right now… Orb build Orb build Orb build. More fun, more mobile, and right now more damage.

3 Likes

Is it? Altered Time has it simmed as the lowest damage of any mage build. Where are you seeing it sim higher?

The reason for the drastic changes is because the design flaws of the dev team who cannot fill the shoes of Greg Street properly.

2 Likes

That requires Packed Ice traits (3) doesn’t it ? Is it even wise to go with Orb build without out cause I have 3x flash freeze and seem to only get those on my azerite gear.

5 days dead thread reply but yes 3x packed and 3x flash freeze is optimal.

Launching 150k ice lances feels good :slight_smile:

I run with 3x Packed Ice, 2x Whiteout, and 1x Flash Freeze…

You only need 1 Flash Freeze for the FOF proc chance, since icicles aren’t a big part of your damage as FOrb build

1 Like

3 x PI, 1 x FF, 1 x WO, 1 x FG for me. Because of the way I handle procs between casts, the reliable FoF proc from Frigid Grasp to start your orb burst is worth it.

1 Like