Just Lost Trust Level

The window for the requirements is rolling, not segmented. You can regain the level, but just be mindful that you may have read enough posts one day but the next you might be a few short and lose it again.

3 Likes

This. The last I looked at the system, your eligibility was based on your participation metrics in a sliding window going back 100 days. If, 101 days ago, you made a big push to read and post and like and that activity made you eligible for the higher TL, and then you slacked off in the subsequent 100 days, your big push just fell out of the window and your remaining activity wouldn’t be enough to sustain your status.

5 Likes

I figured this, thanks for the info.

I think the others answered your question, but just for specifics, it looks like you need to read more posts to get back up to the requirement.

10 Likes

Is there a customer support article on Trust level and what it means?

1 Like

I dont think so. However i do believe there is a sticky in general on it.

I am way too tired to try to cross link from my phone though.

1 Like

The article Darth linked mentions the requirements, though I recall Vrak or Kal saying that there were some requirements not on the list, as there is technically no Blizzard article on it.

4 Likes

No, Discourse has a blog on the basic trust levels that are used.

3 Likes

This is probably more of a General Discussion suggestion but I think Blizzard should consider adding some indicator of progress. I know it would be annoying to develop a system to track cumulative progress through the trust level metrics, but a vague indicator of progress is something I believe would be feasible. That way, there is a way to have an idea of where we’re at, but it is not so specific that people start laser focusing on just boosting their trust level instead of naturally interacting on the forums.

There is one if you know where to look and what it means.

Imgur

The trust level is listed there on your Summary page of your forum profile.

TL3 = Regular
TL 2 = Member
TL 1 = Basic
TL 0 = New

What it does not show is what activity you still need to finish to move up a trust level. The basic Discourse blog tells you, and you can see some of it in your json file or summary, but not all of it. Blizzard also tweaks the requirements for trust levels based on forum activity level. A quiet forum like D3 does not require the same participation and reading as WoW or OW.

6 Likes

I think that is what Idontknowhow was talking about.

6 Likes

But they dontknowhow to say it?

I’ll show myself out…

6 Likes

I’m just going to toss this out there, and it’s completely MVHO.

The reason TL3 ‘exact metrics’ of what you do and don’t need to earn aren’t available is because TL3 isn’t really meant to be some goal that people just grind out, like an achievement in the game itself.

TL3 is inherently designed to be for people that naturally participate to that level. I believe it was the intention of those that created this software for people to have TL3 if their natural behavior lines up with what the designers had in mind for participation requirements for TL3.

Having some kind of a WoWHead-type tracker page that you open to see exactly what you need for TL3 would be counter-productive. Way more people would try to “grind out TL3” which would defeat the purpose of TL3.

Which is, to find people that have trusted behavior. Not to find those that can grind the most.

/shrug

Again, IMO, this whole thing.

5 Likes

When Trust Levels first came out, I believe most people ground out the 20,000 posts read count. It’s still an unrealistically high number to obtain without grinding.

I would like to agree, but your idea clashes with the basic premise of gamification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification

Of course, since I disagree with the idea of gamification, I decline to grind out the “forum rep” necessary to post a direct link.

3 Likes

Holy Tauren I didn’t even know that was a word…

4 Likes

Interesting read, thanks Sniperorc.

Indeed, gamification. Interesting idea that I don’t really agree with either.

1 Like

We have been doing it since we were little kids going back forever.

You know those star stickers? Good job stamps? Marks on the poster board goals chart before an extra recess or pizza party? Even home chores lists that get you a reward at the end of the week, month.

Setting and earning goals is an old motivational technique people use to both motivate others, and motivate themselves.

Games use that same concept except the rewards are digital instead of IRL.

Gamification is just taking old techniques to video games then using those as the rewards chart instead of a poster board and a pizza party.

2 Likes

I understand all that, but it still seems inappropriate to me on a discussion board.

If ‘gamification’ was the intent of the original designers of this forum software, they did a fairly poor, amateur-ish job at it. It’s hard to be proud of your eighteen gold stars if there’s no board to look at to see how many you have.

“Little Jimmy, you almost have enough stars to go with us on the class trip!”
“OK, great Miss Smith, how many more do I need?”
“I don’t know”
“Well, where do I find out?”
“I don’t know. Maybe you can post a note outside the principal’s office!”
“They’ll check for me?”
“Maybe, but it’s not guaranteed. This is a student-helping-student environment.”

So, again, if gamification was the goal, these forum designers need to read the Wikipedia article Sniper posted earlier, because honestly, the poster-board chart in my seventh-grade class was more intelligently designed. Primarily because I could walk up to it and look at it, and track my progress. Miss Smith has those devs beat into the ground on that facet of ‘gamification’.

Apologies for the derail, if it is one. It’s on topic, but only tangentially related to OP’s questions. TL;DR I stand by my original opinion that ‘gamification’ wasn’t really the intent here, but rather to reward people that naturally participate to a certain level, because there’s not any evidence that they wanted people to track their progress or grind it out at all.

/shrug

1 Like