JayzTwoCents đź’©'s on AMD; new bios wrecks his system

$500 CPU and $700 mobo…

Enjoy!

Edit: JayzTwoCents posted another video and admitted that he was wrong for getting mad at AMD for the busted PC in the first video I linked. That makes me wrong, too, and I’m sorry for posting the video.

To say Ryzen firmware has been problematic feel like understating the issue somewhat. Trouble is that it’s hard to tell whether this is AMD’s fault or the OEM’s fault.

Case in point, I’m using a Gigabyte GA-AX370-K7 Gaming with a 1700 at present. The newest BIOS I can install is F10, else problems start showing up. Up to F20 the RAM voltage isn’t correctly re-applied when resuming from sleep (regardless of how it’s set) so my 1.35v RAM fails and the system reboots on wake. I would also have to reboot twice most times, since my clock settings would fail almost every other boot.

Beyond F20, I can’t apply any clock settings from BIOS or else it fails to POST at all - all manual clock settings (even 30x, which is the base clock speed of the 1700) have to be done after the OS loads; plus I still can’t resume from sleep. A 37x clock multiplier also doesn’t work on these firmwares, unless something changed with math and 37 x 100 is now 3,600.

Of course, those problems seem unique to Gigabyte’s implementation (as best I can find - I don’t dig too deeply for hardware I don’t own). I’ve heard the voltage issue cropped up on a beta ASUS BIOS but they fixed it before release, and I’ve never heard of the sleep/wake issue elsewhere. Not that ASUS is free of troubles, since the only reason I have a Gigabyte board is due to a bad flash on my ASUS (it completed without issue - it just didn’t work).

So, yeah. Is AMD granting them too much lenience, allowing problems to show up? Is AMD providing dodgy base code? Some combination of the two? Some third or forth option that I can’t think of just now? Yeah… hard to know, and no-one’s going to admit anything.

Incidentally, Jay’s issue is likely the Cortex-A5 contained within the package. It’s responsible for security features, so it may not actually allow the firmware to be rolled back when you restore an older BIOS.

1 Like

I literally came here just to post this video myself and saw your post. 1.5v is INSANE and he is absolutely right. Some stupid AMD fanboy even had the gall to tell me that the 3900X runs colder than the 9900K because the TDP they advertise is lower than the 9900K. Stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

Jay at 3:13 blames MSI’s BIOS. This is a known issue on that MSI’s BETA BIOS and 4 RAM sticks.

Not sure if you’re playing stupid on the forums or just messing around…

You underclocked your 8 core CPU by about 30% then say it’s cooler than a 12 core CPU running at full speed. No crap Sherlock… Grats on turning your 9900K into an underpowered CPU?

Also TDP isn’t measured the same with AMD and Intel. No clue why you even bring it up for comparison.

My favorite quote from the video as his system fails to boot for the nth time using the “fixed BIOS” months after launch (emphasis mine):

This is unacceptable… If I sound pissed, it’s because of the fact that these companies almost prey on the fact that people are going to go out and buy this new hardware, and they’re going to build new systems and stuff, and they’re doing half-assery like this, where they’re not putting enough effort into the stability of their systems. And I’m sick and tired of this bull :poop:.

This has been happening now as long as I’ve been dealing with product launches. Unfortunately, it’s always the worst with AMD.

I’m now going to get on my Intel system to download a new BIOS for this.

Laughter from Phil the camera guy.

Oh Griefs and his trolling again. He calls out Intel in the video in a less dramatic fashion.

15:50 mark

JAYZTWOCENTS trashes AMD, Intel and MSI on the video but you conveniently only mention AMD… hmmm… wonder why Griefs.

4 Likes

Cause it’s the topic of his video, fool.

Aribeth is an idiot. “Durrrr AMD runs colder because they say their stuff runs at a lower TDP, the fact that you can fry breakfast on an AMD GPU is stupid and meaningless you shill!”

Yeah but no matter how many people tell her that, she keeps coming back. It’s basically You and her vs. the world. She’s repeatedly linked to articles that don’t support her claims and has been doing so on and off for quite a while. Were you here when she got caught switching to her alts to like her own posts?

Oh well, yet more proof that as cool as Ryzen sounds on paper and how theoretically good the specs look it’s still not ready for mass market.

1 Like

Yep. I told a bunch of non-tech people to wait for Ryzen 3000 for computer upgrades and regret doing so. There is no way those people would be happy with all of the bugs and hurdles of going with an AMD build, despite the theoretical price to performance advantage.

What did AMD’s GPU support team suddenly swapped to the CPU department? They were doing decent with first gen despite being slightly slower than Intel for the average consumer.

I understand BIOS update are dependent on motherboard, but this is just unacceptable especially since this is a tweak of their first gen cpu. Zen2 has so many quirks that need to be resolved.

I am sitting on a Noctua NH-D15 right now. All cores 5ghz on a 9900K playing WOW on “10” settings. CPU is sitting at 43C, goes up to 46 periodically but basically sits at 43C. How the sam hell is that even remotely comparable to AMD?

If you watch the latest Gamers Nexus video about the ABBA fix, he concedes himself that AMD and Intel’s “TDP” ratings mean nothing objectively since the word isn’t a standard and how companies measure it is different.

Same thing is true of the names for the different process nodes (e.g., 14nm vs. 7nm). AMD even tried to redefine what “cores” are, as well (though they got sued and had to pay out to the consumers that they deceived).

This is one of the reasons Jay created the video showing his struggle with his new Ryzen setup and labeled AMD the worst when it comes to product launches. There is no excuse at this point for the kinds of bugs that people are experiencing.

To be honest, you get what you pay for and a $200 CPU is a $200 CPU. IPC problems aside, the 2000-series Ryzen CPUs were pretty snazzy. Had boat loads of RAM trouble but ultimately were a good deal in the end. I am not sure you can ever say that about Zen 2.

A friend of mine has an X570 Taichi board and the chipset and fan literally sit right under the GPU fan. What does that do? Pumps hot air directly into the HSF of your GPU. Good design huh?

Sums it up nicely. I’d rather pay more for quality and stability, but not everyone can afford it. My problem is with the AMD fanbois who recommend AMD parts without any mention of the issues one might face getting it to work how it should. That’s called lying.

I had so many problems with the 2700X and RAM I’d never buy a Ryzen ever again. Never. The RAM was on the boards QVL, it was on the CPU QVL and still it wouldn’t overclock properly - even though it was using Samsung B-Die.

Absolutely nutty to me. I ended up having to run a 3.6ghz RAM kit at 3.2ghz because the damn thing just wouldn’t work.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

1 Like

That’s crazy! Anything on the QVL should perform as specified, no exceptions.

I learned my lesson a long time ago. When I first got into computer hardware, I went with ATI GPUs but quickly found that the software was absolute crap when my drivers would crash over and over. At the same time, I had a buddy who bought an AMD CPU and would have random and regular BSODs in the middle of Starcraft games. I learned then to avoid AMD/ATI.

I was strongly considering going to Ryzen 3000 from my 8700k based on the hype, but I waited instead of diving in, and there’s no way I’d do that now. It’s the same old AMD.

The problem isn’t your RAM. The problem is you have no idea what you’re doing based on:

You ARE a non-tech person yourself. You were crying about how you couldn’t figure out how to install Linux.

The Internet is replete with examples of AMD having issues with RAM kits on QVLs and this dullard will continue to spout nonsense galore. Just talk around them like I do. I don’t even bother addressing her anymore. Why someone would pay a WOW subscription to post on the forums 24x7 is a mystery to me.

https://community.amd.com/thread/242837