Jailer is WoW Thanos?

I’ve been watching some Marvel movies and clips and it struck me how much the Jailer’s physique resembled Thanos. And then I started to see similarities in personality. Kind of that calm nature but also just doing horrible things for a perceived greater good.

And then I noticed how instead of collecting power stones he’s collecting keys from the Shadowlands.

Idk if this has been brought up before but development for Shadowlands began around the time of infinity war and endgame releases

4 Likes

It’s not uncommon for trends in games/media to start because one thing was popular. Plus considering how many ideas are out there in the world it’s so hard to make something 100% “original”.

2 Likes

I can see the similarities, but if you’re trying to say the jailer is a copy of thanos, I disagree.

“large bald man” is hardly a unique character silhouette

the quest for a set of mcguffins isn’t a concept unique to thanos

and believing what they’re doing is for the greater good is a trope older than either wow or thanos.

did they draw inspiration from thanos and what was popular at the time? sure, probably.

2 Likes

This is the problem right there…

Blizzard should not allow players to consume entertainment outside World of Warcraft: it should be considered an offense and sentence to at least 2 or 3 years in a “re-education center” forcing the player to reconsider his priorities.

Sir, i just reported you to the WoW police.

4 Likes

Thanos actually explained his philosophy and seemed like an almost reasonable person until you come up against the whole “murder half the universe” issue.

Jailer has yet to explain his philosophy beyond “I’m gonna fix it!”. He’s Bob the Builder with an infinite army of bland generic evil dudes and entirely too pointy nipples. He needs a lot more development if Blizzard is trying for Thanos level villainry.

9 Likes

Does it? The Jailer has a more normal physique than him, Thanos has a way thicker body.

Idk about you but ive seen both and their personality arent the same, Thanos while his actions were horrible he largely evaded killing people if possible, since he wanted the Stones to be the ones to decide who live and died, but The Jailer downright shows sadistic traits, and often raises his voice.

This one is just reaching…

In time We’ll learn more

I dont think it matters when its obvious how sadistic The Jailer is, torturing souls and twisting them into weapons.

To the point that said souls even beg you to destroy them.

1 Like

I noticed a strange link to the Jailer as well. Not Avengers, but Clash of the Titans (the remake).

So Perseus is in this throne room when Hades arrives. He does his whole death sweep thing on all the warriors (which looks eerily familiar) and the only one left standing in Perseus.

At which point Hades looks at him and says thoughtfully: “Interesting”. So Hades, Lord of Hell, and Jailer, Lord of the Maw…said the same thing in a very similar moment.

I sort of blinked and went…huh?

It was a bit like realising that Korngold’s theme for King’s Row is almost exactly like Williams’ theme for Star Wars (and considering Kornbold wrote his around 1940, that’s another huh moment).

1 Like

People should ease up on marvel stuff. Even harry potter millenials weren’t that desperate

If the jailer is thanos I’m marry poppins.

The Jailer has to be the most unthreatening villain ever made, just a dude in shorts, no shoes wearing weird jewellry with vague plans. Pretty sure he got confused and instead of going to the beach he ended up in the maw and now he’s mad about it or something.

1 Like

As long as we’re on the Marvel thread

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d4/14/d2/d414d2dc1480e515755a0f15f203e9bb.gif

10 Likes

The jailer is a dope character…
His character design and voice acting is dope compared to the lich king helmet voice that was more menacing…
He should have looked liked this…
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/c4/92/d2c49284429f752fb4a838c8849b21da.jpg

Edit:
But I guess they gave him flesh and Made him sound dope due to China!

Edit2:
And this should have been sylvanas in SL
https://www.siliconera.com/darkstalkers-morrigan-statue-revealed-along-with-two-more-fighters/amp/

Edit3:
Atleast, I know Diablo 2 resurrected is in good hands. The Devs have decided to tune back the ugly looking character models of some classes like Amazon. She will look more like her 20’s
https://youtu.be/KQ58wVwMMdc

As well as for the assassin
https://amp.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/lofdj4/photoshop_of_assassin_from_diablo_2_resurrected_i/

I agree, been tired of hearing about Thanos for a while.

Well, Jaina has gone full Elsa

He actually had a way different design before.

That aint gonna happen girl.

This made me lol.

1 Like

Of course, you could not live with your own failures, so where did that lead you? Back to him

Torghast new mechanic confirmed: Either half your health disappears randomly, or half your team randomly dies (this does not count towards any negative death counter).

I’m going to really hope that he doesn’t pull a Thanos. But I feel as though his motives are more ‘upend the unfair balance’ than ‘purge half the universe’. Because, I mean, dude’s been stuck in literal hell since the dawn of time. If anyone’s gonna be salty about that deal, it’d be The Jailer.
It’s like he’s Hades from the Disney film Hercules, but far less humorous, while Sylvanas seemingly plays the part of Meg, but far more murderous.
Idk, I guess we’ll see when we see.