I've got a bad feeling about Dragonflight after seeing the year sub deal

I mean for all we know they could be right. I don’t think there’s gonna be any way to prove it one way or the other.

Perhaps they are doing this because they don’t have strong faith in their expansion or its Place in the development stage.

Maybe this whole thing is just a way to get guaranteed money before people can cut and run 2 months into an expansion like they always do.

Maybe not. It doesn’t matter since nobody can prove anything and only time will tell if it’s a bad expansion or not.

But even if it is bad there’s no way to prove that this was their motivation… So let people have their speculation

No, they didn’t.

They only offered it one other time which was right before the biggest content drought in the game’s history lol

1 Like

It’s padding. After two expansions that were not well received, and caused a massive drop in subscribers. They are making sure players are locked in after first month, and numbers drop again.

They have stated the subs go up at start of each new expansion, and suddenly drop after all the content is used up. Then go back up for the next patch. A full year subscription keeps those dips at lower numbers, which keeps them from loosing money.

OP asks if it’s happened before.

I say yes that it has.

You swing in and say no, but then admit that they did it before, like, what are you smoking exactly?

No, it’s not, because that’s not how MAUs work, which is the metric that Blizzard uses to determine the health of their games.

MAUs are recorded every month. If you bought into this and only played 2 months out of 12, Blizzard doesn’t count you for the other 10 because you’re subbed, you actually have to play each month to be counted.

The issue is that for the execs at Blizzard, it’s not a problem that people leave if they can make up the difference with shop sales ie mounts and tokens. That’s because they’re all about short-term profits.

They don’t use that metric anymore

They are taking the numbers from how many have purchased the year subs, and making guesstimates on how much a year worth of sub subscriptions will make. They only care about play time metrics to show share holders.

There not concerned with Monthly Active Users and Daily Active Users since they come and go. They know that once they have a player locked into a year subscription they will continue to make money no matter how much activity they are in. Blizzard will get a huge chunk of revenue right before next quarter, and report a huge success in player participation.

They literally do, try reading any quarterly report from the last few years since the Legion expansion launched.

That’s literally not how their quarterly reports work. Please educate yourself.

They don’t track how many people are subbed to WoW anymore. They have not used that metric since Warlords of Draenor. MAUs are what they track, and have been tracking, for many, many years now.

i got a bad feeling about it after seeing shadowlands and bfa and the talent trees.

1 Like

Yeah sure they don’t. They just lost that ability to not be able to keep track of player numbers.

Its just bobby making a quick buck before MS takes over.

Read any of their quarterly reports.

Please.

They’re publicly available to anyone.

1 Like

They want to lock you in for the long haul.

Cata AP was actually a better deal imo. You got D3 as part of the package + MoP beta access.

Yeah, because they are easier to inflate.

1 Like

They know one more year under Biden no one will have money for a sub.

1 Like

After WoD and the drop in sub numbers they stopped and switch to a metric that would look more positive to the public. They still keep track of subs but privately. Blizzard does not have to let everyone know about subscription numbers.

I take it you work for Blizzard to know that information right?

If not, then you’re talking out of your rear.