It's difficult to get back into this, I have questions

I started as a dwarf priest in 2006, dedicating most of my after work hours during bachelor life to the game and guild. No mods, no macros, Raided and ranked in PVP until TBC hit and the guild shattered.

I did the lone wolf thing for a while, knowing how to play my class, but raiding was never as good, pvp went nuts with the arenas, about the time I would get my toon geared and building stats, a new season would come out. As many people do, I made several alts to fill that void of entertainment. Played with different mods for threat, rotations, UI and more, settled with Bigwigs and Capping, still no macros.

Constant changes with talents, buffs, nerfs and with the latest expansion I had to relearn gameplay across all of the previously favored characters. It even took me a while to figure out how the flip the profession system worked.

I’m basically a new player, mild rant aside, I’ve considered Classic WoW but every time I consider it, I am reading about changes from the original in the forums.

-How close to the original is WoW classic?
-Is it single server as it use to be? (pvp que etc., This could kill my choice, I liked the single server action and guilds, the immersion was better and the gamers were more kind for fear of being shamed and unable to hide)
-I imagine there is a lot of veteran players who have already played it, is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for your inputs and I apologize if this post is in the wrong spot, I don’t normally post on forums.

1 Like

Hey! I’ve never played classic and someone may weigh in here, but I just wanted to let you know that there are classic-specific forums here: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/wow-classic/197

Those folks may have more opinions on Classic :slight_smile:

I would say that WoW Classic Era is pretty close to the original. Because most people moved on to BC (and the Wrath) Classic when they came out, they connected most of the realms due to low population. (I think it basically works out to having all of the realms of a given type in a given region — such as US East — connected.) So, you are going to see people from different servers, but they still share your AH and you can trade and form guilds with them. I think the general population in Classic Era is small enough that even with all the realms combined, you may still get that old feeling.

Battlegrounds in Classic have always been cross-server, but as mentioned above, in Classic Era the population is small enough that it might not be a huge deal.

Wrath Classic does have some pretty significant changes to end game content and gearing that at least on paper feel a lot more like modern WoW. I haven’t played Wrath Classic at all (I’m still salty there’s no permanent BC servers) so that’s just from what I’ve read, not personal experience.

Thank you for your inputs, I’ll keep researching before I dive in, but it sounds like it may be worth a shot.

Thanks again.

WoW Classic is a fairly decent recreation of Vanilla WoW. It DID see many changes, but nothing to the extent that it doesn’t resemble Vanilla anymore. Most of the changes that many players are complaining about (including myself when I was playing) happened during TBC and LK iterations of Classic.

The game itself didn’t change as much as the playerbase has, which is to be expected, given the amount of time that has passed.

As in… no cross-realm features? Well, Classic received cross-realm PvP from the jump, so there’s that.

…we were kind in the early days of WoW because we were learning the game together. It wasn’t out of fear of repercussions. That’s a misconception, and also cop out for people hating on RDF, that never really existed for most players - if it DID, we wouldn’t have plenty of videos showcasing someone ninja-looting items in Molten Core.

Furthermore, we had players (countless) exhibit symptoms of negativity toward their fellow players during all iterations of Classic - identity and reputation hasn’t mattered.

That’s a question without an objective answer.