Its been 6 years, I'd like my name back

Hello. This is a post that I’ve been waiting a long time to make, and I hope this is the right place to post about this, but this has been an issue i’ve had for a long time now. As you can see, my name has an alt code in it. This is because 6 years ago i transferred my guild to Kil’jaeden from Hakkar and its connected realms. Just a day before this happened someone from my old server took my name, my guild’s name, and several of my other character’s names maliciously. I’m not concerned about my other characters names as they were race changed, but this name is precious to me. Its the name of my very first character in World of Warcraft and my main for almost 12 years now. I’ve read the support articles stating that the account must be inactive for at least 2 expansions before a name can be recycled. This is the armory page of the person in question. {Removed} As you can see it looks like they havent played since the start of legion, and it is now Shadowlands, 2 expansions later. I know the article mentioned that blizzard cannot help with getting names back. But if theres any information i’m missing on when i can reclaim my name back without the alt codes I’d greatly appreciate the knowledge.

The account needs to be inactive - not just the character.

Sorry. :frowning:

5 Likes

I’m aware of the account being inactive, but I was hoping to see if there was a way for blizzard to check if the account has been inactive for that time period, as unfortunately I’m drawing a blank on the name of the person that did it.

It’s an auto-system, Blizzard, themselves, don’t release the names.

3 Likes

The system automatically does this. If the name is available it’s made available, then you can simply choose it (on a new character for example).

If you try to make a new character and the name is unavailable, then it’s still not flagged as inactive.

3 Likes

Is there any place i can check the next cycle of deleted names? That’s mainly what i was inquiring about.

not really

It is important to point out that activity is based on the account, not simply the character. How long it may have been since someone accessed a particular character will not allow the name to be released if the account has otherwise been active.

I did want to mention that the Armory can be an unreliable tool when trying to verify activity. That character in particular was actually active well after Battle for Azeroth was released.

2 Likes

It isn’t exactly a cycle anymore, Voøjin. It was when our Devs first started releasing names for reuse, but since then a system has been build to facilitate it. There aren’t currently specific dates on when a name would be up for review to be released, it is part of a constant cycle now.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I was not aware of the process in which they recycle names or that that character had been active in bfa. It’s just been bugging me for many years now. But I appreciate the quick info! :slight_smile:

3 Likes