It’s High Time

That wouldn’t be RNG. Like the guy said, people would eventually figure it out, and a chance to fail is a chance to not have fun.

My “second attempt” (from above, paraphrased)

Basically mats have their own item level, and your output is determined by the quality of mats you use, but mats are largely interchangeable between recipes. This would lead to fewer overall recipes, but would add a ton of depth to crafting, and add natural progression into new expansions.

See, this I think could be interesting – that’s using your noodle!

So basically, a series of category items, where the better quality of the category item used in each recipe slot, the better the item that is yielded? Or varied effects?

Though it’s not really relevant anymore, let’s say you have a ‘Coating’ slot, and using a Fire elemental item causes Fire Resistance while using a Shadow elemental item causes Shadow Resistance?

The only downside I can see to this is that it necessitates a MASSIVE number of different item IDs – either that, or Blizzard has to create a large number of ‘bonus’ types to fill in.

It certainly sounds interesting, but I can’t see Blizzard investing the time necessary to make it work how I’d like a concept like that to work.

1 Like

Yeah, basically. If the stats are deterministic, then varying quality of mats push the item level up. Basically, mats have item levels, and your result is the total or average of the mats used.

If stats aren’t deterministic, then maybe there are a few “wild card” ingredient slots that (depending on what you use) could yield crit/haste secondaries or “Vers/mastery” secondaries, etc., giving crafters the ability to tailor make (see what I did there) gear for individual needs.

The problem with professions is they feel like time sinks/chores rather than something you look forward to doing. Some of them are barely profitable. If the same affection that was given to artifact weapons was given to professions perhaps more players would give a snot about them.

Hence this brainstorming session.

I’mma just drop this here.

1 Like

The reason why professions are like they are in live, is because Blizz wants them that way.

There’s no need to balance them(After removing the boons, like the belt buckle gem slot) and only need to add little each tier to “keep them relevant”, just a couple new recipes and call it a day, the most important materials being soulbound and even the crafted gear, to make sure they’re not being used as a mean to progress on anything(PvP or PvE).

Look how professions have been handled in the last 5 years. Don’t you think there’s a reason why they are in the current state? This is what Blizzard is comfortable with and are willing to give us.

Go ahead and check around, back in, let’s say WotLk, professions could give you boosts like the cloak enchantment, materials used in end game crafted gear and the gear itself could be traded(Primordial Saronite and Icc vendor recipes).

This is the way professions will be from now on, get used to it. The balance team hates professions with a dying passion.

1 Like

Discoveries don’t always have to be RNG. Its possible to make a trigger for discovery as well.

For example, lets say I randomly mixed together a Bronze Ore and Flask of Fathoms, that could be a trigger to discovering how to make a Bronzing Potion. Discovery is not always random.

As to OP, I would enjoy a system where all reagents in some way stay current or have a use towards finding new and exciting things.

That happens regardless of what happens. Everything will be data mined and put on WoWhead and be there for sake of convenience. Just because something would just be data mined doesnt mean it shouldnt exist though, because plenty of people probably don’t use WoWhead regularly.

I feel like this is pretty cynical view. Obviously, we all hope that “fun” is the target goal for the design team.

Heirlooms have pretty much rendered all crafted armour and weapons useless. Outside of that, items drop so frequently from mobs and quests and leveling is so easy that food is not needed. Lower the item drops, make all future heirloom upgrades crafted only and let mobs do real damage so that food is needed again. Fix that problem and you fix crafting.

That was a good read. I feel like our goals are at least on the same page - making crafting feel rewarding at all levels of play and giving players more choice.

Yeah, I don’t feel like we’re out of alignment on what’s desired with crafting systems.

I just didn’t want to write another essay on my thoughts. Thanks for saving me that trouble.

1 Like

I love this kind of discussion, personally. Too bad blizzard doesn’t read General lol.

I think they do. Probably in a SIGNIFICANTLY condensed form gathered by a CM, but if something is talked about enough, it most likely reaches them.

Personally, while I don’t like where professions are at currently, the game has bigger issues that need solving before I start looking at the periphery.

1 Like

The masses will skin you alive and throw you in a bucket of salt for saying such things. Do you not remember (as recently as Legion) all the uproar and crying because they put some recipes in dungeons?

Yeah, believe me… I don’t want dungeons to be part of my leveling process for professions, but I don’t mind dungeon specific recipes for endgame… for recipes that are not part of the leveling process… but for niche recipes, for a cosmetic appearance potion, or for a group use Wardrobe for 20 minute appearance change, I am ok with dungeon dropped recipes.

NOT BASE RECIPES (says it right in the quote you used)…

Anything not used to level the profession is ok in dungeons in my opinion.

What about what I suggested? Where the recipe isn’t the limiting factor, but the mats are.

I don’t mind mats in dungeons so long as it isn’t something you need to do 10 - 15 dungeon runs just to get enough mats for 1 item. And I definitely don’t want dungeon runs to be part of any leveling process. Call it Max Profession mats if you will… once you hit max level on your profession, new recipes open up where the highest quality mats are in dungeons, I am ok with that… but it has to be easy enough to farm those mats without going out of your way… ideally, they are drops in bulk from the end boss or end boss adds.

Agreed. Unless the materials needed are unbound. If they’re soulbound, 1-2 dungeons should be enough. If they’re not soulbound, I’m fine with needing 10-15 of them, as I can buy/sell them.

1 Like

I don’t think they should be soul bound. That’s always been super weird.