It just dawned on me: Beta's actual purpose

If so I cannot believe I did not see it earlier.

• Only active subs could participate
  • Many got bored and stopped
  • Many left to play the newest BFA patch

Could it possibly be that testing the game was actually secondary to the prime motive?

That being:
What % of classic players (with existing accounts) will be tourists that can be counted on to leave when frustrated/bored.
That would be valuable data for how many layers each server will have.

Change my mind.

5 Likes

The beta is full of bugs and its purpose was to find and fix those bugs before it releases and people complain about it being a buggy mess.

1 Like

Your tinfoil hat may be a bit tight.

9 Likes

Very astute observation.

I do feel that the level 40 cap impacts the results in an extreme way.

9 Likes

I think the actual data is not who will eventually quit the game, but more so to see how they should implement content drops with retail around Classic.

It will not be all surprising if the phases of Classic are scheduled around content droughts of retail.

2 Likes

I actually addressed testing in the OP.

Perhaps, however is a L40 cap with all that difficult content available above it really all that different relativity-wise than the L60 cap? It is after all just a different set of pixels. One could argue that there are more challenges with a L40 cap than a L60 cap. More content to strive to get through. Yeah, no raids, but in some ways 5-mans are more challenging. Kind of like if they kept the level cap at L60, and opened TBC content.

Could be; people are stupid and don’t realize that Blizzard will never give modern WoW “Great” content again.

This is why I like so many have totally quit modern WoW and why there is so few playing that game.

Consider the BETA for a moment; it requires a modern WoW subscription to play; they will tempt you with access, but requires you have a sub to play it.

Many of us are just flat unwilling to pay for beta, and there are an even larger population of Classic WoW players who don’t have BETA access… Easily the majority of the Classic population has no access.

Because of these things, the OP’s concept that only Modern WoW subs were given BETA access was interesting, because it’s kinda true; these people are transitory in their game play.

8 Likes

But what classic phases have been covered so far? Are they even into the second yet?

a high % of players have always quit wow shortly after starting.

classic will probably be similar, and they know that. betas and stress tests are what they sound like

A high % of those who “quit” after starting were gold spam bots.

2 Likes

No I’m specifically talking about when Classic goes live. We know it’s broken into phases.

IMO these phases will occur in content droughts in retail. Maybe they want to see how many players will go to Classic, do things there, new retail patch comes, go back to retail, content is complete, go back to Classic, etc…

Based on what we have seen there are only about 3000 accounts granted beta access. That’s a very small sample size to try to determine trending of any kind; especially when you consider that a lot of accounts were granted to streamers who are known to jump to the new shiny things for views. Good tin foil hat rational but unlikely from a business trending point of view.

1 Like

real players too, this isnt for everyone

you could probably say this about most games tbh. wow is a huuge time sink and even more likely to run people off than simpler games are

Yes, but it could help explain why this is the first blizzard beta to ever need an existing sub.

It was a lot more than 3K accounts. The single largest grouping in the beta is Blizzard F&F at this time and there probably were close to 12K of those. “Content creator” invites likely only numbered in the dozens. “General Public” Closed beta invites likely numbered into the thousands as well, although 3 to 5 thousand of those is entirely possible IMO, but we have no reliable means of knowing, only Blizzard does.

Wow, that’s a microscopic amount of players…

Assuming that the Layering only took place then during stress tests?

What % of Classic players can be counted on to leave when they don’t have access to the game? Probably most of them.

It isn’t. I have previous valid beta invite emails which demonstrate otherwise.

If there more than 3000 accounts added to beta than most did not log in from start of June until as the only data we have is from the classic census add on which peaked total unique characters playing at less than 3000 in June. Until blizzard confirms number of invites this data is the best we have to work off and honestly with how the empty the beta has felt since early June I tend to feel these numbers are pretty close. I would believe 5-6k at most but it has never felt like there where 10-12k people.

You would assume that but layering is now running on beta as well and it’s terrible. Times where you can be the only person in Org/ironforge regardless of the number of players there

1 Like