It is Time to Ban WoW Addons

If your topic is dead, it is dead. Bumping dead topics is considered as trolling.

6 Likes

Knowing them, they’ll re-post it word for word in a fresh thread for the 3rd time at some point.

5 Likes

Actually, they could design better and more interesting trinkets, rings and neck pieces, illuminating the need for add ons, and increasing the design scope within their own game…

We need more addons not less.

If you don’t like addons … DON’T USE THEM!

i wanna see a raise of hands of ppl who do not use dbm lol.

If people stopped responding to topics after a certain periods of time, in most cases, a month at minimum though by my own speculation, not sure on how long a topic needs to be inactive for it to become dead, then the topic is usually considered dead. Necro’ing dead threads is considered as trolling:

2 Likes

I may have in the past necroed a post, but it wasn’t intentional. Especially if it has to do with an issue that doesn’t warrant a new post about the same issue creeping up again, bugs would be one good example.

That said, when I started reading this post, it took me little time until I got near the end that it was noticed to be necroed. When using the search features which some don’t which causes multiple posts, the game will pull up what people might think is an active or semi-active post.

As I said I can either add on to an old post with issues or I can start a new post about the same issues and maybe miss someone that found the issue as well and found an answer.

Let me give you a picture of what would happen if addons were banned. One, Blizzard doesn’t have much of a UX/UI team frankly so what we’d get would be pretty basic. Two, the game would get far more annoying in many respects to play due to lack of QoL. Three, the game would get harder because addons give helpful information that helps people optimize their rotations, positioning, etc and thus likely result in content becoming easier.

Oh and people with no RAM installed would run the game smoother perhaps and addon errors would stop messing up the game at times.

1 Like

If you want the game to exist and be healthy, you wouldn’t be supporting removing addons. The mass exodus that would happen would be astounding, including me.

Unknown necro. Nice

6 Likes

In my opinion, its time to ban anyone demanding addons be banned, lol.
go play another game if this one isnt making you happy.

2 Likes

Should be the default answer:

Play another game.

No other discussion needed, no argument to be had.

5 Likes

You will take my

Narcissus
All The Things
Aardvark
CraftSim
Nova Instance Tracker
TSM
Altoholic
Worthit
Rarity
HandyNotes
Gathermate

From my
cold
dead
hands

7 Likes

lol??? You obviously have been playing to long. You can pick up this game and play for an extremely long time before you get to a point where an addon feels necessary. A new player isn’t walking into M+ or raiding.

A new player is running around killing stuff in the world and doing normal dungeons. A new players is just trying to stay out of the fire under their feet. A new player is checking out the random house in the middle of a field to see if anything interesting is there. A new player is trying to make a few gold to buy bags.

A new player is NOT comparing their damage to everyone else. A new player is NOT doing high end mechanics where you need 5 timers going. A new player is NOT trying to perfect their rotation.

GD likes to think they understand the game. The problem is that they understand it to well. They can’t even pretend to understand what it’s like to be a new player.

tl;dr addons are fine. Leave them alone.

3 Likes

Addons fall into three categories for the most part.
Quality of Life
Display of Information
Cosmetic

The quality of life addons are the ones that organize your bags or bank. They keep timers for world events and rare spawns.

Quality of life also overlap with Display of information. WoW has a lot of information coming in to the player. Some is necessary other is clutter. Abilities have cooldowns, and timers, on both players and enemies. Abilities need to be interrupted. Cooldowns give damage windows. Information constantly coming in.

What a lot of addons do is change how you want this information displayed. Do you consolidate it into an area centralized around your character, so that your eyes can see take in the information easily while watching for mechanics to move from peripherally? Do you want your quest tracker, and side bars hidden during combat? Where you do you want to see the timer for your damage window when you activate your cooldown? Does a boss have an ability which requires a lot of movement that they cast every 30 seconds? Do you want to track that so you can time your cooldown use?

None of this is really game breaking. And these are the majority of addons. They simply allow you to organize the information coming in and reduce your cognitive load, so you can focus on playing your character well.

When you get into the very high end, which only a very very small percentage of the WoW players play at, they will take things to the extreme. And even in this extreme, the addons are not playing the game for them, they are just further distilling the information coming in, and displaying it in the way which the players want. In order to kill the hardest mythic raid bosses, you may need to time the fight down to where at 3min 20 seconds into the fight, you have the CDs of these 3 players coming off CD and they specifically are to pop them all at 3min 30 seconds to meet a dps check.

Again just organizing the information to reduce cognitive load. There are the other addons which help players with rotations. They are nice to learn from, but you dont just turn them on and they activate the abilities in a set order.

The other thing is that addon creators can simply do a better job than Blizzard at making them. Blizzard would have to build a department and staff it of addon developers to work with the UI department to create this. It would be costly and inefficient, when people just make extremely good addons for the game as is.

All of these arguments you list are arbitrary. The addons and addon community have been an integral part of WoW’s success and are not going anywhere. And at the end of the day you dont have to play with addons.

1 Like

Don’t you touch my add-ons for my ui. It will end poorly.

2 Likes

The most important add-on I have keeps track of where my mouse is because I lose track of it a lot

1 Like

this “idea” is as dumb now as it was in 2023

3 Likes

When I use to raid in World of Warcraft from 2004-2011, I was literally told you need this add-on or this add-on or you won’t be raiding. I remember one addon that literally did come close to playing the game because it drew on the screen where to go or who to be near with.

Personally, the major add-on I use is Spartan UI. I really cannot stand the default and upgraded UI that Blizzard made. Because of Spartan I am also forced to load Bartender4 else the addon doesn’t work correctly. I do have Deadly Boss Mobs loaded, but I rarely go into a dungeon for its use since I mostly do world content these days.

Ever Quest and Star Wars: The old Republic, I didn’t use addons and they actually where fun to play without them. Only reason I don’t play them is Ever Quest just isn’t appeasing graphically (2 is definitely better) and I found a bug in SW:TOR and reported it and got suspended for 3 days and they took all my gold from 5 years of farming content on top of that (about 750-800 million).

I really need this. For some reason I keep losing my mouse on the screen and I keep moving it around and it’s like come on pointer where did you go.

i agree, addons that assist people in doing the content forces the Devs to increase the difficulty of the raid or dungeon just to keep up. Testing the content before the raid are released should end. How can someone have a world first when they run the damn things a billion times before they are released to the general public. In house testing should do.

1 Like

Probably not gonna happen. We’re going on two decades with addons and I just don’t see them going away. Too many people rely on them and prefer them that I’m sure Blizzard would fear they’d lose a lot of subs for what some players would see as moving backwards. Blizzard also doesn’t seem to want to stop making raids with ridiculous mechanics.

What I could see Blizzard doing eventually is implementing a handful of new addon-free servers. You roll on one of those servers and automatically all of your installed addons are disabled. This could give those who want a “Clean” WoW experience to have exactly that.

1 Like