It’s been a year, how is ret in raids?

Two devs. They are on record as hating the Paladin class in Classic. They are on record saying essentially that any time a Paladin won a duel, it was studied and nerfed SO IT COULD NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

They didn’t even try to hide the hate.

PS–Cleansing is healing. So is Freedom. So is BoP. It isn’t always hitting the button that says Flash of Light or Holy Light. It’s instant to negate damage, but FoL/HL is always hard casted.

4 Likes

lot of good feedback here lol

I keep hearing this and have never seen any evidence of this.

1 Like

dude i cannot imagine saying i dont care for pvp . AM i have to go

cool beans! doesnt mean lolret and enhance shaman are not the most worthless classes for any purpose in the game.

mmo- champion. com/ threads/1709927-the-man-who-nerfed-paladins-before-the-game-even-came-out

forums. mmorpg. com/ discussion/119286/heres-two-wow-designers-who-hate-hybrids-and-are-nerfing-you

Nobody is saying they are good now

Ret is hot garbage and that’s being polite. It’s nothing the player has done wrong, Blizzard gave them nothing to succeed with. But make no mistake, they are pure trash and a burden to any raid group that could’ve picked basically anything else and done better with it

4 Likes

Bad.

2 Likes

No need to guess, there is a classic section on warcraftlogs.

2 Likes

If given the choice between a 20/31/0 vs a 21/0/30, the mainly Prot Paladin gets it, if they are average level. A Ret that really tried (MCP stacking with everything possible to gain even a 1 DPS increase) is more than welcome.

A Ret Paladin has to try five times as hard as everyone else for not even half the gains. To those that do it, you have my respect.

3 Likes

The “now” was refering to a year ago when people defended ret paladins as being viable in dps and competitive in a raid setting. Sorry for not wording it better.

My wife has a Holy Pally that wants to be RET. She is specced holy and throws on some Ret gear for PVP. I am like just heal hun! She says, I want to smack stuff! I am like ok…she loses all the one on ones but when we get two together we do pretty good cause she switches to healing. lol.

She only needs 20 on Holy to do the necessary healing work. 21 if she doesn’t want Repentance.

1 Like

Yes, good point Beautia, i know she is a mixed bag, but dont know her spec. I know she has 0 in Prot.

1 Like

I go down Protection because I find it fun to round up bunches of mobs and tank them down. Her mileage may vary.

Which is why they are hot garbage. If a casual guild wants to bring that burden on then have at it.

1 Like

I mean the answer wholly depends on the guild you join. If the guild doesn’t mind, then it doesn’t matter.

IMHO it’s wrong to expect a raiding guild to take you if they’re outwardly against it. That’s where you find another that doesn’t mind. In the end that’s a win for everyone, including the Ret player.

I don’t see how this needs to be any deeper than that.

2 Likes

It’s been a year, how is ret in raids?

Trash, next question

1 Like

They’re hot garbage. Technically they are viable but they are far from optimal. Looking at top DPS paladin parses they’re doing less than half the DPS of other melee in AQ.

Compare that to cat DPS and it’s about 2/3 the DPS of other melee and on some bosses just about on par.

But of course being an optimal DPS class/spec is far from everything. There’s a shadow priest in my guild I’d take over many of our rogues, mages, and warriors because he shows up on time and actually puts effort forth to help out the guild other than just logging in for raids.

3 Likes

This is pretty much the approach you want to take—in conjunction with finding a guild that is easy-going and not overly competitive.